Author Topic: Outpost 2 On Facebook  (Read 6668 times)

Offline tactical n00b

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »
There is an OP2 group on Facebook that I am compelled to advertise, simply for the fact that OP2 is still an amazing game that needs exposure to the outside world. So look it up sometime if you are interested. Also, I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to create an OP2 application for Facebook. It would be Eden vs. Plymoth or something like the Pirates vs. Ninjas application, ora nay OP2 application would be awesome! Thanks all! :op2:  

Offline outpost520

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »
im glad you like it! i made it a few months ago

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »
Great. Now we'll have drunk teenagers spamming the forums.
Thanks loads, guys.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
A nice guesture but we dont really want that kinda advertizement.  Please remove it.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
I would agree. As useful as facebook is (sometimes) it is really not the place to advertise this community.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:30:38 AM »
A nice guesture but we dont really want that kinda advertizement.  Please remove it.
Freeza you cant force him to remove it.

Link for the facebook group plz?

And im sure there are gamers on Facebook so I dont see why its not a good place to advertise, its the bigest social network around. I see no harm in having a Facebook group.

We need to be advertised anyway.

Offline Hidiot

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 03:21:12 AM »
They are somewhat right though...

Advertising it may result in getting an influx of unwanted guests...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 03:47:50 AM »
im glad you like it! i made it a few months ago
It's been out for a few months already. From the posts already made by the mods in this thread, I take it nothing negative has happened so far.

Any reason as to WHY Facebook is NOT the place to advertise for OP2 ?

Like Sirbomber said, maybe we'll get a few drunken spammers (is this a u.s thing btw?) but we might just land a few players aswell.

As I see it we don't exactly have the luxury of turning down potential gamers, there's few enough here already.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »
I totaly agree Highlander.

I wish I had more time to work on OPU to improve things and to get new members by advertising and such.

Anyway see here.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »
Any reason as to WHY Facebook is NOT the place to advertise for OP2 ?
Like Sirbomber said, maybe we'll get a few drunken spammers (is this a u.s thing btw?) but we might just land a few players aswell.
I don't know if it's just a US thing but I personally use facebook (sorry, I most likely won't add you as a friend unless I know you in RL) and know a lot of people who seem to have nothing better to do than post pictures of themselves getting drunk, send invitations to other users to add applications (like dumb games and such) that no one cares about, and worst of all send invitations to others to join groups that the recipient probably could know or care less about. (I have received many such invites).

So the bottom line is, people who search for and join the Outpost 2 group on their own are probably just fine, but those who get invited randomly by their friends (who might not even know what Outpost 2 is) might not be.

Sure, it's always nice to get new players but I think we should be looking for quality, not quantity. That is, people who have a genuine interest in the game (vs. people who just come to spam and do other things) rather than trying to get the maximum number of people here that we possibly can (which I feel some people -- who I won't name -- are quite worried about).

Furthermore, do we -really- need to advertise as much as we have been? We get lots of new people who don't really know about or understand the game already. We are listed in Google as well as on the Outpost and Outpost 2 pages on Wikipedia.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
I can appreciate your concern for getting rather un-interested people in the community.
And by all means, to some degree I'd prefer quality over quantity..

On the other side, couldn't people become interested in OP2 ?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »
Yeah, but it's kind of an old game. If they didn't play it years ago and remember all the fun they had, why would they start now? There are lots of other games out there, and many of which have better graphics and gameplay balancing. I think if someone was going to get interested in a game they haven't played before, there would be many other choices on their list above Outpost 2. That's not to say there won't be people that get interested in this game now, but I think the probability is pretty low.

As for players, I think maybe we need to work a little more on retention than expansion. There are plenty of new people that come along, or old gamers that have found this place or have come back, but not too many of them really stick around for very long.  

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 06:38:59 PM »
As for players, I think maybe we need to work a little more on retention than expansion. There are plenty of new people that come along, or old gamers that have found this place or have come back, but not too many of them really stick around for very long.
Look away from Paco and myself, is actually ANY of the old timers sticking around ?

personally, I think we should focus both on getting more people to OPU as well as work something out so that people stay here.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Look away from Paco and myself, is actually ANY of the old timers sticking around ?
I've been with Outpost since OP1 (original, not 1.5), I just don't feel the need to talk about it much...
Perhaps your definition of "old timers" needs readjustment if you consider you and Paco the only "old timers" here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:32:42 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 03:58:18 PM »
And there are some who may have just gone silent-ish... but who are still around.

Offline Drakmar

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 05:52:54 AM »
Like myself :P

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 06:40:44 AM »
Perhaps your definition of "old timers" needs readjustment if you consider you and Paco the only "old timers" here.
Yeah, I guess your right bomber, was a bit quick to post there.

When I say old timer, I refer to people with a history from WON, who used to play there actively.

And in retrospective I should probably say very few of those from WON which find their way back here chose to stay and game for any longer amount of time.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »
And I've been with this main OP2 community since it was at NHCS.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »
Does it really matter who has been around the longest?  What does it get you other then bragging rights?

We are all here because of the community and op2.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:26:43 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline PUNK_FOX

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
But making a Facebook for OP2 was a good idea. I invited a friend and now we play against each other every now and then.

I've actually invited many friends back when I was in 10th grade in 2006. Hell, when I was transferred to this other high school, they put me in a web design class where they didn't care much if we played games or not.

The entire class was thrilled at the game. almost every class, we get on the computers just to play against each other.

So advertising is a good option.

I've done my fair share so far but I don't mind expanding still
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
1) This thread is two years old.  Don't necro old threads.
2) Why don't you try getting some of these people to come here if they like OP2 so much?

Offline PUNK_FOX

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
I didn't realize it was from 2 years ago :blink:

Oops, sorry :heh:

I actually trained a few people today  (thumbsup)

I feel like a jedi master or something  :lol:  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Hidiot

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 01:05:15 AM »
Getting a web design class to play OP2 is not that bad, you'd expect it to not be populated by your average idiots.

Social networking sites? You expect them to be filled by your average, and worse, idiots.

And yes, check post dates.

We have a problem with poll topics, in that whenever someone casts a vote, the topic registers it as a new post, even if it had been dead for years. Take extra care with those.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
I didn't realize it was from 2 years ago :blink:
how can you NOT realize it's 2 years old?!
you have to do an actual search to find a thread that old!

Anyway: glad you like the game. Now get those guys to register here, instead of talking about OP2 on facebook.
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Kayedon

Outpost 2 On Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »
@Hidiot: Not true. I had a web design class ... Let's just say I've met smarter people in sixth year school... I kid you not.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."