Author Topic: Power Generation  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Power Generation
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »
Geocon:
Artificial borewells - The idea of the artificial borewell is to have a robo-miner use it's robo-mole to dig a deep crevase that is comparable to the depth of a natural borewell and then move off. This would allow a GeoCon to Biuld over the artificial crevase and use Heat Mining in order to generate power. Due to the nature of artificial borewells they must be dug atleast 8 tiles away from another borewell (artificial or natural). Artificial borewells

Tokomak:
Plasma Turbine - By using techniques derived off of Geothermal power we can make a geothermal like system that uses the heat generated by the plasma to make steam which can be used to turn turbines. Tokomak +100 power units

Advanced magnetic core - By using rare ore we have been able to renforce the magnetic core of tokomaks which reduces the damage take by the heat from the core. Tokomaks recieve -25% degeneration rate

Wind Power Plant:

Ultra light materials - By using less heavier and less dense ore we have been able to lighten the propellers on our wind power plants allowing for the wind to move them faster thus generating more power.
Wind Power Plants recieve +50 power units
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:35:47 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

Power Generation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
Advanced magnetic core - By using rare ore we have been able to renforce the magnetic core of tokomaks which reduces the damage take by the heat from the core. Tokomaks recieve -25% degeneration rate
The whole point of the Tokamak is that it's the only power source that doesn't require Rare Ore. If it suddenly does and you don't have rare ore, you = owned.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »
Geocon:
Artificial borewells - The idea of the artificial borewell is to have a robo-miner use it's robo-mole to dig a deep crevase that is comparable to the depth of a natural borewell and then move off. This would allow a GeoCon to Biuld over the artificial crevase and use Heat Mining in order to generate power. Due to the nature of artificial borewells they must be dug atleast 8 tiles away from another borewell (artificial or natural). Artificial borewells
So basically you can 'cheat' and give Eden a huge advantage because they can build Geocons anywhere they want. (Remember that the geo plant produces the most power of any plant in the game. It is balanced out by the fact that there are relatively few sites (or in many cases, no sites) to build them).

Tokomak:
Plasma Turbine - By using techniques derived off of Geothermal power we can make a geothermal like system that uses the heat generated by the plasma to make steam which can be used to turn turbines. Tokomak +100 power units

Uhh... isn't this how most power plants work already? Nuclear power plants don't directly produce electricity from the reaction; the reaction produces heat which is used to heat water and create steam which drives turbines connected to generators which produce electricity.

Basically: nuclear energy -> heat energy -> mechanical energy -> electrical energy.

This is also cheap... basically it makes the tokamak a much more ideal power source (good output and inexpensive). It would make other power sources useless because there are not enough drawbacks to tokamaks to make them replaceable with other power sources.

Wind Power Plant:

Ultra light materials - By using less heavier and less dense ore we have been able to lighten the propellers on our wind power plants allowing for the wind to move them faster thus generating more power.
Wind Power Plants recieve +50 power units

This too seems pretty cheap... does the price of the wind turbine go up? I thought it was decided that if wind power was implemented it would be cheap but produce little power (in other words you would need lots of them to get any significant power output).

-----

Anyway, not to sound rude or anything, but people have repeated this to you over and over again. You need to:
1- Do research so you know what you are talking about. If you researched how power was generated it would remove the need for certain types of ideas.
2- Justify the usefulness of something in the game. By this I mean there has to be a logical reason why the player would use it (for example, the tokamak thing you suggested earlier can't be justified because it would make other power sources useless). You can't just add new units or whatnot in the game just because "it sounds cool" (which is the case with things like the snail and the armadillo -- although they might look cool, they do nothing to add to the gameplay whatsoever and wouldn't work that well if you thought about how you would actually build one).
3- Balance a new idea or addition. For example, maybe a research adds hit points to buildings but increases their cost. Otherwise you will end up creating "ownage end all" weapons which would kill the game play (and make it useless to obtain other weapons since it's the best one, having no drawbacks).
4- Scientifically justify everything. The Outpost series is built on hard science. Creating units that use FTL drives or warp drives or interdimensional power collectors, whatever it be, if it can't be justified with today's / 50-100 years from now science, it can't find its way into the game. There can't be magic either. For example, an armadillo unit would have to roll slowly to be realistic (yes, it's a game, it could be made artificially fast -- "magic") but you need to think about those things.
5- Realize that things that worked on earth (for example "it worked in WWII") doesn't mean it would work on New Terra / Cythera / whatever. WWII happened on earth which compared to other environments is pretty easy to build stuff for (at least in human terms). On New Terra / Cythera you have a hostile environment and nothing works the way it is expected to on earth. (for example, you can't have gasoline engines because there isn't a plentiful supply of oxygen from the atmosphere. Nor is there a source for fossil fuel). So something that worked in WWII would probably be absolutely useless on another planet.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
There is already a Wind Power thread any way with concept models.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Power Generation
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
actually, I think the tok upgrage could be justified.  If you reduce the ammount of damage it does to itself by using different metals, you also reduce the heat exchange.  The metal gets damaged because it has a high rate of heat exchange (thus it becomes maliable faster).  Reducing the heat exchange will reduce the power output (not to mention increase the cost to produce it).
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Generation
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
Given that the Tokamak has temps Hotter then the surface of the sun i dont really see what your going to use other then Carbon Carbon Ceramic tiles (like those on the space shuttle and do deal with hot plasma on reentry) That would give the power plant such a boost.  I beleive any other material would give such a small increase its really not worth it.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Power Generation
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:18:21 PM »
and those tiles have a very low heat transfer rate, thereby reducing power production
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 12:41:34 PM by Freeza-CII »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names