Author Topic: Just An Idea  (Read 3622 times)

Offline acid101

Just An Idea
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
Well you think if somone started a project that let you add AI to multiplayer letting you play by yourself without any actual other humans needed and u can change there skill level? just an idea

Offline Silver

Just An Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:12:06 AM »
many times was this idea proposed. The problem is, as far as i understood, that there isn't a real generic AI in Outpost 2: each AI is written ad-hoc for each map in which an AI player appears. So you'll need to code a multiplayer AI almost from scratch D:
I didn't make the sig. I've just found it on Google images.

Offline Psudomorph

Just An Idea
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
There are already a lot of projects around here focused on improving the enemy AI, and it might be possible that these improvements can be applied to multiplayer.

The problem is that the OP2 AI is not really an AI at all, its basically a set of instructions the enemy follows exactly the same each time. For that reason it wouldn't make a good opponent in multiplayer.

The other problem is that because it is not a real AI, you can't just give it buildings, plop it down in any map, and expect it to function. The OP2 opponents don't actually possess the ability to analyze and react to their surroundings in any significant way. In other words, if you played the AI over multiplayer, you would have to first manually program the behavior of the AI on that map, right down to what buildings it builds where, what units it sends at you when, and exactly how it defends itself. You would have to do this differently for every map you wanted to face it in, and for every type of multiplayer game (Last one Standing, Resource Race, Space Race, etc.).

In other words, it would take a lot of effort to get an enemy that wouldn't be all that great anyway. For that reason, most of the community here focuses on using AI in campaign and colony games where its deterministic behavior is more acceptable.

However, there are attempts being made around here to create an AI that can analyze and respond to general situations rather than following specific instructions. I don't know how far the projects have progressed, but it is possible that you could someday see a multiplayer-worthy AI for OP2.

If you have some programming knowledge, you might even be able to help make it happen.

Offline acid101

Just An Idea
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:38:08 AM »
Thats what i mean, an AI that doesnt follow specific instructions but rather kinda analyzes and does it all itself, of course its gonna take effort but it IS possible.

Offline Psudomorph

Just An Idea
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
The short answer is: Its not here yet, but it is being worked on.

I would check out the forum Outpost Programming>AI Coding. Thats where you would find anybody here who is working on general purpose responsive AI.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Just An Idea
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »
Thats what i mean, an AI that doesnt follow specific instructions but rather kinda analyzes and does it all itself, of course its gonna take effort but it IS possible.
Yes it is technicaly possible, but it is much more complicated than a normal mission to code. It would take a very, very, long time and would require someone with experience and skill in coding, as well as a hack to get it into the op2 menus.

Offline acid101

Just An Idea
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »
What about the AI in la corrida its not that bad

Offline Sirbomber

Just An Idea
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
It doesn't attack. Ever.
And if it isn't on La Corr is won't work.
And I can kill it with Laser Lynx when it has Thor's.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Just An Idea
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
The existing MP "AI" (Peacekeeper and La Corrida maps) are just ment as a forced mark.  You need to take the time to build up the right sized army to not only defile the computer base, but also to defend against player attack.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sl0vi

Just An Idea
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 03:19:37 AM »
The existing MP "AI" (Peacekeeper and La Corrida maps) are just ment as a forced mark.  You need to take the time to build up the right sized army to not only defile the computer base, but also to defend against player attack.
Or you just rush it, and it'lll be dead before it has any defences :P
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Quantum

Just An Idea
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
Peace keeper IS the best AI map if you are a newb trying to practice

I do think OP2 should have had skirmish as an option....

so you could have five HARD players on pie chart...

OHH YEAH!
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Just An Idea
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
Are you willing to make a skirmish mode?

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Just An Idea
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 07:53:52 AM »
working on it, fan .... working on it...

be patient
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Brazilian Fan

Just An Idea
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
working on it, fan .... working on it...

be patient
Just don't take too long, or I will make one myself  :P