Author Topic: Emergency Defense System  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Emergency Defense System
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:25:41 AM »
OI!!! I was reading Kalshion's story when I rememmbered something I had thought of a long time ago, a sonic shield to exterminate the blight!

Stats: Plymouth / Maesis
HP:1800
Armor: Renforced Light
Ability: Prevents blight from entering an area
Range: 20 tile radius
LOS: Light Tower
Common Ore:4200
Rare Ore: 2400
Power:700
Colonists: 2 Workers / 1 Scientist

There is a saying,"If the blight comes it will be for the last time!".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:14:13 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Mez

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
I think it should need a larger power requirement, e.g. requiring all the power from 2/3 tokomaks to power it?

Offline Psudomorph

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »
How exactly does that work? What would be the explanation for how the shield holds back the blight?

Some elements I can think of to consider:

-However it works, the effect would have to extend from the tower radially, since the blight could basically come from any direction, including underground. Since the blight travels primarily underground, you couldn't simply make a wall of these, because eventually the blight would tunnel under them and emerge on the other side. Only things within the sphere would be consistently safe.

-Because buildings would have to be inside the sphere at all times, thought would have to be given to whether this sonic field could adversely effect colonists and machinery.

-Mines would be impossible because any robo-moles that left the sphere would be instantly destroyed. MHD generators would also be impossible because their network of buckeytubes would have to extend far beyond the field.

-Magma wells and geothermal plants would be safe though, because they don't have to send out remote devices to work. As long as this sonic field can penetrate the shafts, any blight being carried by the steam/lava will be dead before it reaches the colony.

- A colony could use these structures to live in a blight infested area where they would be virtually immune to attack, but the fact that it would disable so many important structures, most notably common ore mines, would seem to make it a surprisingly balanced structure. There is no way I can see that it could be abused for too long, as any colony inside these spheres would be completely Dependant on outside support.
(consider also that a non-eden colony could be easily wiped out by using EMP missiles to disable the towers.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:16:20 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline Sirbomber

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
It is just me, or are all your ideas for Plymouth/Maesis? Not that Eden needs any of your ideas.
And I think they already have this as a campaign-only structure so Plymouth can survive on New Terra until they're rescued.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Combine Crusier

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »
You could protect mines by researching a expansion technology (one that requires this technology) which would attach minature sonic resonnators to the moles. Also consider that sound transmits significanlty farther in solids than gases thus it would have a greater depth range.

EDIT:

Perhaps the adverse effects on the colonists could be a slight change in birth-rates or training time or even in productivity. It would definitly increase morale though.

Power units required edited.

Hm......... Perhaps we could have a power usage panel that would allow the player to decide the amount of power going to the field, which would directly affect it's range......... would a max of 1000 and minimum of 350 power units subvice?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:23:08 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Emergency Defense System
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 07:33:50 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, why would a sonic barrier kill off bacteria?

It would work if you were trying to keep out people and most living animals (create sound pressure strong enough to cause hemorrhaging inside the ear) but I somehow doubt bacteria would respond to it..

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Emergency Defense System
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
The fact that the blight moves around in the ground doesnt help that shield either.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Emergency Defense System
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, why would a sonic barrier kill off bacteria?

Gee, don't you ever watch those Oral B commercials? :P

So, I heard somewhere that it would take approximately 2 or 3 years of constant yelling to release enough sound energy to have cooked a hotdog. Are you sure such a structure would have high power requirements?

Offline Combine Crusier

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »
BLARG!!!!!!!!

I've recently been plauged with an idea for..... countering the blight.

Technology: Retroviral Engineering
Maesis:

Teaser: While searching through the Earth database one of our scientists found records describing viruses that infected a host and changed the host's DNA into it's own DNA. We believe that we can remake some of these viruses in our advanced lab.

Description: While most of our test results yielded viruses so hidious that they had to be eliminated we have discovered a virus that can be manipulated to speciffically react with the blights genetic structure. When deployed this virus will infect an area of the blight and change it into virus genetics which will allow this virus to spread as fast if not faster thyan the blight.

Result: Retroviral Missile
Common Ore: 6000
Rare Ore: 4400

Retroviral Foam (Weapons Mount)
Common Ore: 2800
Rare Ore: 1400
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

Emergency Defense System
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »
When deployed this virus will infect an area of the blight and change it into virus genetics which will allow this virus to spread as fast if not faster thyan the blight.
Why would you want to make the Blight faster?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Emergency Defense System
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »
wasnt this tryed in the op2 story? And didnt it totally fail.

Plus all your cures to the blight only remove them from the surface.  They live IN the ground to no just crawling on top like a "creep". There is no Cure for the blight other then the planets TOTAL destruction.