1 (1.8%)
Probably not...
1 (1.8%)
No. Don't even bother.
0 (0%)
What's OP1? Is it edible?
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: OP1 Remake?  (Read 23543 times)

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
I remember somebody was going to make an OP1 remake (Leeor?) and I was actually looking forward to it. So, what would people think of a new OP1 remake with new features like real time (with a day and night option), an "Original" mode and a Bloodlust (combat enabled) mode, etc.

I'm open to suggestions. Assuming this is something people are interested in.

Edit: In-game music would probably be added, though could be disabled.
Multiplayer would be a major goal.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:44:41 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »
... so how is this any different from OP2?

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
'Cuz all the OP2-esque stuff would be optional, with more focus on management than killing.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Psudomorph

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:57:06 PM »
I very much like the idea of something where you could focus more on colony management, with combat being less of an element. It would be cool to have a complete game where the idea was to build and grow a permanent colony, as opposed to constantly running and fighting like in OP2. Even turn based might be interesting as long as it was optional.

I would love the chance to see OP1 content in an updated interface that can really do it justice.

Do you think you or the community has the time or resources to do it though?

Ultimately I think a lot would depend on how far you wanted to go with it.

I've thought about a new OP1 a few times before, but I always came to the conclusion that lacking a dedicated software development team, it would be better to concentrate what time and resources we have into a highly moddable OP3. If Genesis is as flexible as the development team promises, I think it would turn out to be much easier to take the core engine developed for Genesis, and then build an OP1ish game on it.
That way you get the best of both worlds, OP1 content in an OP3 environment, and it only takes about 75% of the effort needed to develop two entirely independent games from the ground up.

Even an "original mode" wouldn't be too hard. You would merely turn off most of the bells and whistles, simplify the colony infrastructure to match OP1, and then restrict the camera to a panning isometric viewpoint.

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
That's actually a pretty good idea.
We'd have to 3D-ify OP1 buildings/etc though.

Edit: I'm very sorry to tell you all this, but no, Outpost 1 (OP1) is not edible.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 06:41:02 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Lysol

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
YES

Look this is the thing about OP1 that got me hooked.

It wasnt way into the future....it was based on only a few years from now.  meaning...flying by the seat of our pants oh god i hope we dont burn up on re-entry.

I honestly was very disappointed in OP2.

Simply because it got all futuristic and crap to make the game sell.  Come on...A sticky and lighting gun?

Outpost isnt supposed to be high technology.  Its low tech, and depressing as hell...because your it.  There is no reinforcements, and there is no other humans than you.

And thats one of the things i hated in OP2...there are only 500 or so humans left period.  Despite their differences, Eden and Plymouth are united in survival of the spieces.   It is a commitment of every human.  And no one barring criminal intent would risk the civilization over simple beliefs.

Besides!  Making Plymouth a bunch of hippies tree hugger not wanting to damage their new planet is such a stupid idea.  

What I would like to see the new Outpost to be is.

-real time

-rebuild the sim from the grass roots up.  If it isn't scientifically theoretical....then it doesn't go in the game.  IE no stupid lighting guns shields or whatever crazy things.  You got to remember the original outpost was based on the idea that..."What if a big rock killed everyone...how would we do it with our current tech."

-Increase the level of interaction with planet and the colonies.

-local space flight possibly entertaining the idea of interstellar colonies.

-true terra-forming (with a exoecosystem meta game)

-LAWBOTS!!!

-As a tech gets older and antiquated it starts to break down...visually looks worn and effects moral.

-Moral needs to be more stable.

-and a number of things that you will find as you play the game you would like to see.

Look...all i am saying is I would love to see involvement on OP1.  but the problem is...everyone here is OP2 players...and outpost 2 is simply NOT outpost.

Offline Psudomorph

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:14:24 AM »
Come to think of it, was the source code for OP1 destroyed like the code for OP2, or does it still survive?

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »
Lysol, you're off about a lot of OP2 stuff, but I like a lot of your ideas for an OP1 remake.

But you're right; in OP1 we thought it would be a good idea to nuke the meteor, so it probably takes place in the near future.

And I don't know about the OP1 source, but it's probably long gone.

Anyways, I've thought about some more ideas, and combat would probably be either non-existant or play a very small role (probably just to hold smaller mining colonies hostage, rather than attacking large settlements).  You'd probably have to beat the game at least once (by completing a few goals, specifically terraforming the planet, PEACEFULLY reuniting the two colonies [ie no Mass Driver "misfires"], and launching a new starship) before you could research combat units (in all games after the first of course).

Units would be controlled like in any other game, rather than being placed on tiles to perform a specific function.

In order to use the Genesis/Final Chapter/whatever finishes first engine, we'd have to modify it heavily to allow for underground levels and an interior view of your colony (a planned feature for OP1; if we do it maybe we'll include people moving around/etc).

Assuming people actually want/would play an OP1 remake.
But so far we only have people saying it'd be good to at least try.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
The source for OP1 is probably gone as well because I think all the company's assets got liquidated when Sierra On-Line / VU / whoever was the parent company at the time broke up Dynamix.

Offline Combine Crusier

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:32 AM »
Da. Sierra was the parent company of Dynamix............ They also made Starsiege.... Could someone point to a link where I could download Starsiege anyway? Say.......... I still have the disk to OP V1.5.......... Do you need something from it?
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
What does Starsiege have to do with an Outpost 1 remake?!
And no, we have a downloadable version of OP1.5.

Offline Psudomorph

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 06:46:53 AM »
In order to use the Genesis/Final Chapter/whatever finishes first engine, we'd have to modify it heavily to allow for underground levels and an interior view of your colony (a planned feature for OP1; if we do it maybe we'll include people moving around/etc).
(The following refers to Genesis as that is the only OP3 I am familiar with, and seems the best bet for completion)

The best way I can think of without significant modification is to have many different "layers" to the maps.

The surface and UG 1-4 layers would each contain their own sets of units, structures, and maybe even terrain. They would be loaded or unloaded depending on what level the player was controlling, or maybe even overlayed on top of each other if the player had a *hitload of RAM and wanted to view multiple levels at once.

Even an interior view could be achieved as its own layer. When loaded, it would replace each building/unit/tube with cutout versions of itself, and load a bunch of people-shaped "units" that would travel through the colony, "docking" with certain structures or areas of a structure depending on what task they were performing.

As I understand it, the OP3 Genesis maps are basically just points in space, connected by polygons. They are about the most flexible map format you could possibly have, and should be right at home rendering anything from landscape, to building interiors, to little people.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe we don't have to wait for OP3 to be fully completed, the engine will probably be up and running long before the story, in which case maybe they can be convinced to let us borrow it, with the promise that we will use it only for good and not evil.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:50:31 AM by Psudomorph »

Offline Leviathan

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 07:08:37 AM »
I hope Leeor returns to the OP:MIA project.

Offline druid65

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »
I think it sounds great since I've already started such a project.  I'm of course open to help.  

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 03:21:24 PM »
I'd like to see this druid. How much work have you done on it?

Offline druid65

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »
So far I'm working on requirements, I lifted the original artwork from the 1.5 CD, and have used a lot of the map software from the Mars project as it looks just like the original Outpost layout.  I've added a few things to the game which I thought would make it a bit better, and a little more logical, such as the mines not producing all minerals, Agridomes producing all food under the same conditions, etc.  I would love for someone to look at what I've done so far, a few ideas, etc.  Currently OP2004 (originally Outpost 2004) is on frailmoon.org, it was started on sf.net, but I kept losing  people and having to fall back on my own.

Offline druid65

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
So far I'm working on requirements, I lifted the original artwork from the 1.5 CD, and have used a lot of the map software from the Mars project as it looks just like the original Outpost layout.  I've added a few things to the game which I thought would make it a bit better, and a little more logical, such as the mines not producing all minerals, Agridomes producing all food under the same conditions, etc.  I would love for someone to look at what I've done so far, a few ideas, etc.  Currently OP2004 (originally Outpost 2004) is on frailmoon.org, it was started on sf.net, but I kept losing  people and having to fall back on my own.
Sorry, the location is http://www.frailmoon.org/wiki to get to the information I have so far.  I would really appreciate some input from this community as to how to change the UI to something more playable, what they would like to see the same, any other comments, etc.  I'm happy I found this site, like some of the people on here, Outpost is the game that got me to playing games on the computer (of course, I started out with the Mac version which was the same as 1.5 on the PC).

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »
I have renewed interest in this project becasue I have very recently discovered that the Mass Driver misfire is no longer functional in Outpost 1.5.  That was my favorite feature!!!

The answer is obviously yes. But nothing happens.
The flaming buildings were already there in case you were wondering.
Yes, my computer is named "Slut". If you played OP1 you'd think I was being kind.

Offline Quantum

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »
I have never played OP1 but I heard it was good

is it the same difference between RA2 and RA1

or is it totally different

This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 01:15:35 PM »

Would you stop necromancing threads? Your question is off topic, anyway.

Offline Quantum

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
off topic  :o  
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Psudomorph

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 09:12:30 PM »

It's available for download Here.

Download it and find out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:12:55 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline chris2222

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 09:26:43 AM »
A remake of Outpost 1 would be awesome!  I don't like the shootem up realtime play of outpost 2, too much focus on the violence.  Makes it more like a diablo type game.

The manage your colony to expand is very cool and I got hooked every weekend with Outpost 1.  The only other game I got pulled into like that was Mechwarrior 2 and 3 was a let down but Mech 1 was very cool.  

Anyway all that aside it looks like Outpost 3 is going to retain all of Outpost 2 and add all of that management that seemed to be missing.  Could be good, but if it's going to be like diablo forget it.

So, with all cards on the table I hope Oupost 1.5 can be expanded.  Actually I seem to recall a 1.8 patch but I could be mistaken.  One nice feature I would like to have added is the possibility of downloading real star systems with their real current distances from earth.  Can't quite remember if they actually did that or not, it's been a long long time since I've played the game.

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
A remake of Outpost 1 would be awesome!  I don't like the shootem up realtime play of outpost 2, too much focus on the violence.  Makes it more like a diablo type game.
Because when you think Outpost 2, you think Diablo...

Did you ever try playing without guns?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »

The manage your colony to expand is very cool and I got hooked every weekend with Outpost 1.  The only other game I got pulled into like that was Mechwarrior 2 and 3 was a let down but Mech 1 was very cool.  

Anyway all that aside it looks like Outpost 3 is going to retain all of Outpost 2 and add all of that management that seemed to be missing.  Could be good, but if it's going to be like diablo forget it.

So, with all cards on the table I hope Oupost 1.5 can be expanded.  Actually I seem to recall a 1.8 patch but I could be mistaken.  One nice feature I would like to have added is the possibility of downloading real star systems with their real current distances from earth.  Can't quite remember if they actually did that or not, it's been a long long time since I've played the game.
Diablo?! Saying that pretty much devalues your opinion, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Diablo is definitely not an RTS, it's more of a hack 'n' slash quasi-MMORPG with randomized item stats. When I think OP2, that's not what comes to mind.