Author Topic: Defensive Post  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »
ARRRRRR!

I have been thinking...... If there are cliffs or things that look like cliffs in OP2 and OP3 why not use them to our advantage! Why not have a modified guard post be built into the cliff face and have it be camouflaged like the cliff it is attached to!

Statistical possibilities:
All:
Defensive Post:
HP: 620
Armor: Heavy
FP: 1 Gun: all types
SFP: camouflaged, and increased protection due to the fact that it is built into the cliff face.
AFP: +10% weapons damage when connected to a CC via a tube
Speed: Immobile
Common Ore: Your choice
Rare Ore: Your choice
3rd Ore: Not yet implemented
Power: 10
Colonists: None

Good:
A. Provides a suprising form of defense
B. Udetectable when idle (except by the player that biult it and their allies.
C. It's armed!
D. More HP due to the fact that it's implemented into the cliff face (less to shoot)
E. (possible) Uses IR scanners so that it doesn't emit visible light (so you don't know it's there, I mean it would be pretty odd seeing a light emission without a source)
F.Can use any form of weaponry
G. Uses radar reflective materials to keep hidden from sattilites

Bad:
A. Difficult to access (only can be accessed from the square directly down the cliff)
B. Easy to descover if connected by a tube
C. Can be spotted by it's weapons fire
D. Long construction time
E. Must be at least 4 spaces apart (cliff might become weak and collapse due to the lack of structural support)

Ok. In order to prevent friendly fire on the turret all by allied players, allied players will see the turret under the camouflage with it's owners color. Also it will show up on their sat. map.

Hey...... Why not have a hidden defense so you can suprise them and do the most damage! Also it would be difficult to spam due to the number of cliffs.
Fire at will!

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Defensive Post
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »
I have to admit a nice idea... prolly could work...
But you have to ask the top Brass, they decide.
And about the IR sensor... They could work, just that sensor can pick something like that... well i think
I would ask that armour from heavy goes to light.
FP: from any weapon to laser/microwave

and about satelittes...
There are not and will be spy satelittes in op3. I think that was discussed before
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »
I have been thinking...... If there are cliffs or things that look like cliffs in OP2 and OP3 why not use them to our advantage! Why not have a modified guard post be built into the cliff face and have it be camouflaged like the cliff it is attached to!

Putting some thing that big ina  cliff face would be hard to hide not to mention the gun barrels sticking out the opening.  Its so much easier to build a GP up on top the cliff.

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
Then perhaps the barrel can be retractable, like a convecs repair arm.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:40:30 PM »
I don't see any advantage in a cliff based gun then a gun on the cliff edge.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:41:09 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Savant 231-A

Defensive Post
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
maybe the Cliff-GP should be like a option, like you click on the ConVec and select build option, hover the GP icon over a cliff and it turns into cliff-GP?

"Come here citizen."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:23:41 AM »
or maybe you can forget the new useless button and just build a GP on the edge of hte cliff

Offline Savant 231-A

Defensive Post
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
not the button, just you hover over the cliff and it turn into a cliff-gp.
This idea seemed nice in the first... But now as explained, this idea doesn't seems so bright anymore.
"Come here citizen."

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »
If you biuld on top of the cliff or at the bottom then how the world would you camoflage it well and also how are you going to keep a normal guard post from being spotted due to it's big arce lighting system!
Fire at will!

Offline Skydock Command

Defensive Post
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
I think this idea shows promisse, but, as its been said, it might be to notisable to be of any more use besides a greater range perhapss. Or even more firpower because it can dig back into a cilf in constuction to add independent power and stuff.  
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:57:04 AM »
whats all this about camo lol NO ONE is going to buy the idea of HIDDEN GUNS.  Its very simular to the thread of the guns hidden inside the walls.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:57:54 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Skydock Command

Defensive Post
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
Im buying it Freeza, but I have no athourity to defend this idea. So do what you want.

But I still think its a good idea. It needs some working out though.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »
Having a Gun in the cliff makes the gun completely exposed to any type or fire.  But a gun that is on top of the cliff even near the edge.  Would only be exposed to indirect fire.  You cant really build tubes to the inside the cliff gun to make it stronger either.  Excavating the area for the GP to fit in side the cliff would make it extreemly hard to hide with camo.  Camo wasnt some thing people wanted any way.

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »
Camo is still used today.... Quite honestly I don't like air units or camo but hey... it's warfare. If the guard post is partially inside the cliff it would be more difficult to shoot, another thing is that if you biuld to on top of the cliff they can come up and shoot you up there but if the post is inside a pit in the cliff they won't be able to shoot it direct fire or not!
Fire at will!

Offline Skydock Command

Defensive Post
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
I can see your point. It cant be camofluaged. But you could have a tunneler thing dig a tube through the cliff. But this all seems to have to many drawbacks. It doesnt look like it can be of much use. So what, should we close this?

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »
Actually it could be camoflaged..... You see I've heard about this new kind of SICC or Surrounding Image Chameleon Camoflage. What it does is it uses cameras to take pictures of the surrounding terrain and it uses andvance computing algorithims to create a 3D image of the guard post and applies what you would see when the person isn't there onto the persons uniform!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »
NO CAMO!

inside cliff gun has limited angle

Gun on top cliff has 360  

Offline Savant 231-A

Defensive Post
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »
inside cliff gun has limited angle
Agreed. The angle is usually  90 < degress. So when it is INSIDE it is innafective
But when it is On the cliff it has 360 degress, but is exposed.
"Come here citizen."

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
If it's inside the cliff you would have a hard time seeing it anyhow......... Say! Couldn't there be a hatchway that the turret pops out of but the hatchway is covered with a thin layer of material that was originally there. So it pops out the side of the cliff! Well partially.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
the one inside the cliff is exposed to but much easier to move around because it cant hit you because there is a rock wall in the way.

I would notice a giant hole in a cliff with a gun sitting in it that doesnt look inconspicuous at all.

No pop up or pop out turrets there guns not mechanical pens

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
They did use 'disappearing guns' back in the day (pre-WWI) which weren't quite what you are talking about but they might suffice:

Basically it was a large artillery that was usually next to a coast. When fired, the force of the recoil would force it to drop down into a protected bunker (usually dug underground) where the gun could be concealed. It could be raised up again by various mechanical means.

So the idea of 'hidden guns' really did exist, of course the gun would be visible at all times between it being loaded and ready to fire till its firing.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 02:15:24 PM »
Yes I know of this.  But those guns were not built into the side of a cliff they were on top.  The normandy beach invasion has the best example of the guns he is talking about with the massive bunkers with the machine guns sticking out.  Maching guns are one thing and the bunker was any thing but camoed  But with large guns like these I just dont see them being in the side of a cliff.

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 08:32:44 AM »
Look at the size of a docking pad...... You could fit the center portion of a Guard Post inside it...... If the Gun was pointed straight in the air....

Also Air Craft Carriers had their fighters pop up from the lower decks sometimes!
Also heard something about the Japanese hiding light artillery in the caves on the Islands during WWII.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Defensive Post
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »
Yes caves in mountains not cliff faces.  Plus those mountains arent all that big or steep.  Also a key word is light artillery.  Not rail gun or laser.

Yes Fighters come from below deck but there all folded up and are useless till preped.  And before you say it.  Any gun i ever seen in a game with short range that has to deploy gets blown up before it deploys.  And having it uber invinceble while deploying is not the answer.  Plus These fighter jets arent flighting straight out of that little hole there "lifted" up to the deck then hurled off.

Look at the size of a docking pad...... You could fit the center portion of a Guard Post inside it...... If the Gun was pointed straight in the air....

So what there is going to be a docking pad on the side of a mountain?  There is more to a turret then just the gun.  You either have to put the GP in a hole in the cliff or have it braced on a platform on the cliff.  Either way has its with a limited fire.

Offline Combine Crusier

Defensive Post
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »
Yes... I see your point. Though it would still be protected from fire coming from above and it would also be hard to detect....... Make it so it doesn't look like the guard post is there until it's within their lights.. Kind of like a fog of war effect, the sattilite can't see it but vehicles can?
Fire at will!