Poll

What disaster would you most like to see removed from OP2?

Vortex
1 (1.7%)
Electrical Storm
6 (10.3%)
Earthquakes
1 (1.7%)
The Blight
15 (25.9%)
Volcanic Eruptions
5 (8.6%)
I H8 Them All
4 (6.9%)
I like them, they make the game more enjoyable
26 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Disaster Poll  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Errithmatik

Disaster Poll
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
Personally, I h8 em all. just wanna know your thoughts.
"We men are wretched things" - Achillies

Offline Brazilian Fan

Disaster Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »
None of them :P

Personally, I would want more disasters  :heh:  

Offline Errithmatik

Disaster Poll
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:50:04 PM »
lol seriously? I cant stand them, just inconvienient lol
"We men are wretched things" - Achillies

Offline Brazilian Fan

Disaster Poll
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »
They didn't just put the disasters for no reason, there is a background for each disaster. Taking the Blight off would be impossible, because the Blight IS Outpost 2. You can't take one off and expect the other to survive

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
I wouldn't get rid of any. I actually like when a random disaster pops up somewhere and I have to race to get the vechs out of the way. Then disable the buildings at the appropriate time to control the damage.

I don't, however, like having disasters constantly popping up inside my base. That is annoying.

Offline Psudomorph

Disaster Poll
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »
I can't say I would want any removed entirely because I wouldn't want to take that dimension away from the game, but it would be kind of nice to be able to turn certain disasters on and off at times, or maybe research/build something that makes you immune to a particular disaster.

(NOTE: This mostly applies to the colony games, because in the campaign missions everything counts, and the disasters are an important part of the challenge)

Take electrical storms for example: All the storms I have ever encountered are small and do very little damage, but they can do that little bit of damage to dozens of buildings/vehicles, which I then have to repair one by one. It's not a threat, just a nuisance, like having to clean up after an overactive child rampages through your house or something. God it would be great to at least be able to have some spiders patrol the colony and automatically repair damaged buildings... [wistful look]

Also, I would love to disable the Blight in Plymoth Starship II. I don't mind having it as an option to try to beat the blight, but I have always thought of colony games as a sort of alternative path, like what would have happened if Eden hadn't destroyed the planet, and I really love the chance to play for many thousands of turns without interruption.
(When I get some ambition I'm going to try to "hack" the file for that colony game to remove the blight. Wish me luck)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Disaster Poll
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »
I personally think the blight wasn't planned properly.ts movement is far too rabid, and the story behind it isn't convincing to me.  It would be more of a threat if it broke doe=wn carbon bonds than oxygen bonds
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Disaster Poll
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
Removing a disaster from a colony game is really easy. You probably only need to change around 1-4 bytes, depending on the code. It's also really easy to find that code with a disassembler. It's the sort of thing you could figure out how to do in a day if you wanted to. There might even already be stuff posted about that sort of thing, so try doing a search. (It might not still be around though).

And if you removed disasters, it just wouldn't be Outpost 2 anymore. I can definately see the desire to play colony games without disasters, they are a bit of a nuisance, but it could also be fun to have a lot more disasters to have to deal with.

One of these days... I just might do it.  :ph34r:

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Disaster Poll
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »
knowing you, you'd make a .dll that ignores the disasters off button for multiplayer games =p
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
I agree about the storms. They're my least favorite for the reason you said. I especially hate when they keep coming. A few are okay, and getting surprised by one that starts on the other side of the map and makes its way over is fun too.

Offline Ro@m

Disaster Poll
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 06:46:07 AM »
I hate Vulcanos most,just hate it whan my base is on a lava friendly ground,and then are quakes after that,but they aren't so bad....
Survival is just the beginning.

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 03:44:21 PM »
I kinda like the slow moving lava that's coming for my base. Makes my heart pound as I try to build and evacuate fast enough. And pretty much every time I play the plymouth colony game, I end up moving my colony from its original location due to all the quakes.

I guess that's what I like the most about the game. I'd rather be able to turn off enemy units so I can stop getting harrassed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:45:10 PM by White Claw »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Disaster Poll
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »
We should remove all the disasters, make AI opponents even easier, and put in an "I win" button.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:48:49 PM by Arklon »

Offline Ro@m

Disaster Poll
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 03:12:06 AM »
Why does plymouth in colony always start near a vulcano??

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »
Because all the colony and starship games always start out (and run) the same way.

We should remove all the disasters, make AI opponents even easier, and put in an "I win" button.
Now we're talking. Perhaps three buttons, "Build my Base", "Build my army" and an "I win".  

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Disaster Poll
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
I hate blight... Bad for your health....

Wait...
The Blight: The newest cigarettes for your alredy sick lungs
BLIGHT GROUP is not responsible for any damages or/and deaths made by Blight cigarettes.

P.S. Why is blight purple?
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »
The blight is not purple. It is microbial and you can't see it. (Which I suppose means it might be purple, but you still can't see it.) The purple is meerly a savant computer overlay to give a visual depiction of where the blight is.

As for why they chose purple, probably because they only had 256 colors and that one is different enough from most of the onscreen graphics?  <_<  

Offline Ro@m

Disaster Poll
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »
Because all the colony and starship games always start out (and run) the same way.
Not in all games,howcome in eden we don't start near volcano,but in plymouth i start just under the volcano..... :(  :(  

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 04:42:34 PM »
To clarify, each colony, starship, and campaign game start out in the same locations (mostly). You play Plymouth, it's always going to be under the volcano. You play Eden starship, it's near the volcano but not in the path.

By:
always start out (and run) the same way.
I meant that a particular game (i.e. Plymouth colony) executes the same way. Not that every game is the same as another (Plymouth colony vs Eden colony).

All of the events are scripted with some randomness thrown in. Talk to Eddy, he's well versed in the scripting of levels as evidenced by his Renegades campaign.

Offline Ro@m

Disaster Poll
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »
Yeah get that.But I just hate starting under a volcano,and then i saet up a new base and 10 minutes later i find out my command center is located on epicenter of a quake..... LOL i just h8 that

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Disaster Poll
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
Yeah get that.But I just hate starting under a volcano,and then i saet up a new base and 10 minutes later i find out my command center is located on epicenter of a quake..... LOL i just h8 that
Isn't that point of the game? "To survive under all possible means?"
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Brazilian Fan

Disaster Poll
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »
Isn't that point of the game? "To survive under all possible means?"
Try that playing Doomsday  :P  

Offline White Claw

Disaster Poll
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »

That's exactly why I like to play!

Offline Nightmare24148

Disaster Poll
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 07:38:41 AM »
I hate em all but they make it more enjoyable me guesses :P
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Disaster Poll
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 02:18:58 PM »
I hate all of them. But the ones I hate most are Earthquakes and Vortexes and HUGE Meteors.
They have this tendency to start in the middle of my base and level it to the ground. Especially that nasty full power quake in the heart of your colony, or that huge Meteor or Vortex on your only SF or CC early in the game.
I hate them in the Plymouth Population Colony Game. My colonies were leveled numerous times, causing me to take a long time to win.

But otherwise, if the frequency is something like the Campaign, I don't really mind them that much.