Author Topic: Arachnids  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »
I have a few new ideas for the arachnid units.

Sand Lion : Scorpion class IV
HP: 400
Armor: Light
FP: capable of laying EMP mines which knock out targets for spiders to reprogram
SFP: 1 Multi charge microwave weapon +40% ROF
Speed: Fast
Ore cost: yours to say

Termite: spider / scorpion hybrid class I
HP: 340
Armor: Renforced Light
FP: 1 Light microwave / laser hybrid -50% Range
SFP: Capable of drilling INTO biulding depressurizing them rendering them diabled until the structure is repaired. Warning: takes time to do this and the Termite is destroyed when this task is completed!
Speed: Very Fast

Flea: class spider
HP: 150
FP: Scrambles a EMP'd vehicles targeting system so it no longer accepts firing commands and see's all units friendly or not to the player as hostiles.. except other effected vehicles that is.
SFP: Fires a short range sticky foam immobilizing the target

Mosquito: spider class
HP: 180
FP: Inserts a computer virus which scrambles a vehicles command line causing it to shut down (like an EMP) any vehicle that comes in close proximity will recieve the virus via an implanted com. device which runs on the vehicles reactor, while active it is indicated by a green tint in the affectable terrain.

WARNING if area is green and any vehicle other than a Mosquito enters the area they are also affected. After a certain amount of time low priortiy formats kill the virus and vehicles come online but have none of their previous orders.

Drone: spider class: suicide drone
HP: 180
FP: Self-Destructs a shaped nova charge that does Extremely High amounts of damage to the enemy target.

I think these vehicles are good because.
A. Open new strategies
B. Can be effective if they are used right
C. Can aid other units in their tasks like a spider (reprogramming)
D. Can provide a severe blow to enemy colonies
E. Are EMP proof
F. Provide variety when it comes to arachnid units
G. Can be more effective than traditional warfare Ex. Termite vs. supernova attempting to kill a CC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:45:06 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Arachnids
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »
I dont like the whole concept of continuing on with the naming scheme and making all new units just slightly different variants of the same units we're used to. any sequel or remake should completely redo the unit scheme. therefore all the units would be "Spider CLASS" meaning theyre all the same form of vehicle, just variants on a theme. Scorpions are called scorpions but theyre still spiders.

Something else, it seems to me that people come up with their unit ideas around the name theyd like to give it rather than making the unit purpose-built. Name the units after youve made them. Im noticing that people suggest multiple units with half of them doing the same thing.

When vehicles are EMP'ed they cant fire so scrambling the tracking software is pointless.

If a fusion reactor was damaged it would either fail or explode not slowly wear down and then blow up, it would happen all at once or not at all.

Although I do like the idea of a weapon that simply disables structures for a set amount of time. It causes no damage it just makes them useless for long periods, making it a harassment weapon that I think would be fun for Around The World games where players would see a tank contingent but might not notice a little spider crawling along disabling your vehicle facts.

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
Agreed on your last part of the reply.

However
The software scrambler is used so that when it comes online it does that.

Those are just suggestments for the names.

Also the fusion drill is designed to leak plasma slowly not all at once, it can't because the drill doesn't have the power to (I'd imagine), espesially if it is going to detach from the Mosquito unit so the Mosquito doesn't gett blown up in the explosion.

If implemented of course.
Another thing.... since arachnid vehicles are so small wouldn't they be hard to detect with a satillite, unless it is motion sensitive or looks for power sources?
Fire at will!

Offline Chandler

Arachnids
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »
I think that what Horus is saying is that if you cause a leak in a fusion reactors plasma containment field, all the plasma would leak out rather rapidly (read: explosively).

It's like smashing a hole in an air/space craft - the atmosphere doesn't slowly leak out - we call it "explosive decompression" for a reason - its explosive. In other words, if you drill into a fusion reactor, your gonna cause an explosion, and I'm thinking at LEAST Supernova size.

This could be useful - sneak in a Mosquito (see below for my thoughts on the name and use) and take out quite a few vechs with it - got an army coming to your base? Whip out your Mosquito's, and they'll make short work of it... just make sure that they didn't bring any insect repellant with them :P

Personally, I think make it a Bee (I know the name Bee sucks, but its named after the idea - I can come up with a better one later).
One use only, so that once its deployed is "stinger", it either gets destroyed or has to go to a garage to get its stinger replaced (if it doesn't get killed in the explosion of the reactor)..

:D :ph34r: :D

Edit:  :ph34r: me :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:22:04 PM by Chandler »
Chandler

Offline White Claw

Arachnids
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »
It's like smashing a hole in an air/space craft - the atmosphere doesn't slowly leak out - we call it "explosive decompression" for a reason - its explosive.
Not always true.

But in terms of leaking plasma: It would come out like a blowtorch. So after you started a small leak, it would rapidly cut the hole larger and fail catastrophically. (more analogous to a leaking dam)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:05:24 AM »
the two words Leak and plasma are never good when used together.

Ok the names arent so good.

Some thing that has its targeting scrammbled can not fire on a friendly.

EMP mines i believe there is a post about mines and such.

Your not going to drain any thing from a reactor core but fuel and even taping it with a hole would cause a catastropic failure and go BOOM.

Drilling into buildings and disabling them would be impossible seeing as they have windows that self seal themselfs i would imagen they would have some thing simular under the skin of the building.

This mosquito is a big no.  That is a pretty ultimate weapon that can cause people to just sit inside there bases and do nothing.  Also these are very advanced computers there not a computer made by dell running window/macOS/linux inside a armor shell.

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:18 AM »
The self sealing material was designed for small meteors I'm talking about the whole vehicle climbing INSIDE the structure!

The computer virus is like partially reprogramming the computer on a vehicle only this affects it's communications and control systems, besides you could just leave that part of the vehicles ability out.

Ok about the fusion drill, instead it could be used to cut certain power systems to like communications, engines, or weapons control rendering it useless to an extent.
Fire at will!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Arachnids
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:44:05 AM »
Freeza, you gave me an idea now (damn you!)  Have one of the vhicles modify the gel how it was modified in the novella.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, then too bad for you
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Pirogoeth

Arachnids
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »
Alright, Imma agree with Freeza and the otheres about the "leaking plasme goes BOOM" thing and say not to it, but most of the otheres show some promice. I personally like the names (beebeing better then mosquito), although it was kinda "name the vehicle, then figure out what it does" however with regards to the bee/mosquito, it is kinda ubergodly, however, just to irritate Freeza, people sit in their bace and do nothing with starflares and supernova's anywa, why not have on thats of the arachnid class? I personally dont see the problem with that.

having said that, I think there should be two units for the Moquito and the Bee, one for the virus (Mosquito, cause its kinda West Nile-ish.) and one thats an arachnid class Supernova (Bee cause 1 use) but to conterdict myself, a bee (in reality) can only sting 1 person, and it doesnt explode and kill everyone and everthing within 1 kilometre or so. so having it as a supernova is kinda... no. And due to the reality of plasma leakage, making the explosion smaller would defie the laws of physics >_<

I'm not sure I like the Flea though, a)theres already that thought on a Flea-type with a vulcan machine gun-y thing. and it jumps ^_^ and b( no offence, but... I dont see how that would really make gameplay better. Maybe... if you'll remember back to the campagin with the expodition to Edens old colony site, all the Edens units were 'bad guys' cause the biological systems saw you as a threat. perhaps if the flea turned them into AI units that the once proud owner no longer had any control over? for a short period of time anyway (then you get it back), otherwise its just a spider that gives the unit to a non-existant player rather then to you.

and finally, the termite, maybe it would be better if the building wasn't EMP-type disabled if you understand what I'm saying), but more disabled-until-repaired. Dont getme wrong, i like the idea of an arachnid that can disable buildings and be irritating, I jus dont like the way it was really proposed... howver, I think this too would be a 1 time thing.

Specifically, I like the Sand Lion idea. its EMP meet ESG, perfect for a plymouth Arachnid.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:44:41 AM by Pirogoeth »
The civil war has begun....

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:35:05 AM »
Ok...... I'll try to make the changes........

EDIT: Changes completed........... Look at 1st Post in this topic.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:45:43 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
Arachnids are completely useless as attack units.  There weak low armored.  your better off building lynx.  there is also the fact that only one colony has spiders.

Offline Pirogoeth

Arachnids
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »
Arachnids are completely useless as attack units.  There weak low armored.  your better off building lynx.  there is also the fact that only one colony has spiders.
not necessarily. they are cheep, fas to build, and strong in numbers. Albeit, they are definatly only effective in numbers, but they can do some serious damage....eventualy. plus, they are EMP proof, thus making them more dangerous.
The civil war has begun....

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:28 AM »
Da.... It's like comparing one bee stinging you campared to 400 bees stinging you
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »
ever see what a flame thrower does to bees?

substitute bees with spiders and flame thrower with esg/acid

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:50 AM »
Lol, that's very true. Spiders and scorps just can't last against those types of weapons. Plus the scorps are too slow moving to be an effective surprise vehicle. They'd have more than enough time to spot you, and if they did, they've got lots of time to react before you make it where you're going. The only way light armoured vehicles with crappy weapons are going to be useful is if they're fast and can be used to surprise or outmanouver someone.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 11:08:22 AM »
Which is why you just build a hand full of lynx and use the spiders for reprogramming and repairs close to the base.  And before you say it protecting your base with arachnids is a very very bad idea.

Offline zanco

Arachnids
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »
I dont like the whole concept of continuing on with the naming scheme and making all new units just slightly different variants of the same units we're used to. any sequel or remake should completely redo the unit scheme. therefore all the units would be "Spider CLASS" meaning theyre all the same form of vehicle, just variants on a theme. Scorpions are called scorpions but theyre still spiders.

Agreed.

Also the idea is still a little "crude" therefore it will be moved to the "Pool of Crude Idea" ... until it is slain... I mean refined.  ;)  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:16:57 AM by zanco »
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 08:58:11 AM »
Flat out spiders are for use in TACTICAL engadgements, Send in the little blighters while your tigers are distracting their defenses.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
lol its very very clear you dont play enough Multiplayer.  those kinda distract the AI tactics dont work on humans.

Offline Combine Crusier

Arachnids
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »
Neg....... I had the trick pulled on me several times, and vice versa.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
well if you got owned by spiders thats lack of defense.  GPs can deal with spiders.  but if you choose to send all your unit to counter its your own fault.

Offline Tellaris

Arachnids
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 01:52:41 AM »
Quick and easy fix to a spider attack.  3-4 ESG/Acid Lynx.   Quick response, and dead spiders.   Not to mention I line my walls with ESG/Acid/EMP guardpost combinations.   Anyone doing that, and not even sneaking a small group is going to get you anywhere.
Or, alternatively, you can just supernova that group of scorps.   Their damage is low enough a super lynx could drive right in the middle of em and detonate, killing most if not all, of them.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »
lke i said spiders are pretty useless as attack units no matter the weapons you put on them.

Offline Tramis

Arachnids
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »
Suppose this: Suppose in OP3, since its no longer tile-based, we can make scorpions smaller, thus making them harder to hit, plus add a speed upgrade and allow them to climb onto the top of enemy vehicles and shoot into the top armor, doing a little more damage and the unit they're killing can't shoot back (any other enemy units can however, but it has a chance of damaging the tank with the Scorpion on it)  Then they would be effective, but still not invincible.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Arachnids
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:42 PM »
thats rediculous.  No game needs that kinda realism.