Author Topic: Building A New Colony/command Facility  (Read 5281 times)

Offline SNS22

Building A New Colony/command Facility
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »
It's been a few years since I played Outpost, and the manual has been less than helphful...

After acquiring the necessary science research, I have gained the ability to build a new command facilty...

Doing so, I wish to start another colony on the planet, but after bulldozing terrain, I am not allowed to place a command facility on those tiles. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have a power source and tubes, but when I attempted to place those, I was told I was out of communications range.....so I place a communications tower there, but was still told I was out of range...So now I am stumped....

Of course I know i can finish the game without doing all this, but am bored since It will be at least 100 turns before the game will be done

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Offline White Claw

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:51:53 PM »
I'll have to try it and get back to you. I haven't tried to build a second CC in a while, but I remember having similar issues. I can't remember if it's possible or not (i.e. the programmers didn't finish that part).

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »
You can't. They shipped it before they finished the "build a new CC" part.
Shame really.

May I recommend Outpost 2?
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/index/gamedownload
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline White Claw

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:53:41 PM »
Dude, do you get royalties for people playing OP2?  :P  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:44 AM »
Lol.

Yeah, people probably saw things like that a little too much in the Outpost 1 forum.

Offline SNS22

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »
You can't. They shipped it before they finished the "build a new CC" part.
Shame really.

May I recommend Outpost 2?
http://www.outpostuniverse.net/index/gamedownload
Have Outpost 2....actually played it before Outpost...

But I've always prefered Turn-based Sim games...

I hate the idea of working on something in one part of a colony. and then having to scramble because some idiots are attacking something way on the other side...If my reflexes aren't fast enough...I'm dead....Don't get me wrong, I still like Outpost 2....

It really makes no sense, that you have the Command facility tile but can't use it...

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
Action can I did it before once build another CC for outpost 1 and then remember for somewhere list stuff need have to be able to do it too. Though can't tell where it was.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
hmm.. We can probably look into it.. I doubt that they would ship it without the capability to build the 2nd command center.. (Then again, I think it was the trucks or the monorails that don't work either..)

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 06:45:35 AM »
outpost 1 page 44,
The surplus resources required to start a new colony are
as follows:
2 Robodiggers, 2 Robodozers, 2 Robominers, 2 Trucks
100 units each of Metals A, B, C and D
40 units each of Precious Metals A and B
50 units each of Minerals B and C
30 units each of Fusion A, B and C
70 units of Mineral A
100 units of Food
2 unemployed colonists

:P
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline BinaryMan

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:34:19 AM »
In Outpost 1.5, it's best to send the resources needed to the old command center via the transfer interface (using the trucks/routes etc). I don't remember if you have to do it that way. To build the second command center, you must build it on uncleared land like you did with the seed lander (yes, I know it doesn't make sense). I discovered this by accident after messing with it for awhile. Note that you select your active colony by right clicking on the appropriate command center. You may transfer colonists from one of the dialogs (either from right-clicking the command center, or in it's own box). Make sure to get CHAP, etc running quickly and have enough colonists there, or it will die permanently or disfunction. Also make sure not to bulldoze land with one colony and build stuff with another, as they will fail to get LifeA/LifeB (air) and other resources and not build or function. I believe you can solve this by bulldozing using the right colony, but it can mess things up, so leave lots of room between colonies. They cannot be connected. There basically is no point to doing it other than to have fun or let the AI run amock building stuff diagonally (and it can build in places you can't, like out of normal range or on the edge of the map!)

I personally enjoy trading with the rebel colony for things you can't normally get, but you really have to work to stop from them coming to your side (lots of hostile police). It's also good to memorize the techs required to get nanotechnology, so you can stop mining (really, it gets ridiculous to get explorers to find new mines fast enough as you grow). Of course, you get MPG from recycling, some points (equivalent to any resource) for every residential building. I suggest building in a pattern that allows a solid block of residential units.

This was the first game I really got into. I was about 10 at the time, and I went over ways to redesign and improve the simulation it in my head (like better population modeling). I have finally begun re-programming Outpost to fulfill this desire (today is my birthday - I am 24 now!) I will post another thread about this project.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 04:39:42 AM by BinaryMan »