Author Topic: Command Center Control  (Read 4815 times)

Offline avcr4678

Command Center Control
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »
I think it would be cool that if an enemy's base loses connection to its command center and no other is connected to it, you could build one connecting to the network of the enemy base thus taking control of all connected structures like the spiders reprogram emp enemy units.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »
It is a cool idea. I think someone posted it before. Definately would be fun to do.

Although, if this is supposed to be a suggestion for a future mod, it seems a little unlikely. At least not for a general purpose mod that applies to all of OP2. If you were looking to make your own level then maybe someone can help you with the idea. You can check out the Outpost 2 Programming forum for help with that. Maybe take a look at how to make basic levels first, and once you've accomplished that, then pester people for help on the base takeover idea. :)

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Command Center Control
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
Oh nice idea. That would be nice. It would be more better if someone makes invasion (You attack someones base, capture it, that the other player makes an counter attack to retake it)
This idea seems to be... perfect let's say.
This is a better solution than killing colonists.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 02:43:46 PM »
By the way, is OP2 moddable?

Offline Savant 231-A

Command Center Control
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:43:03 PM »
Yes, i think, there is a mod page... i don't know which page....LOL

"Come here citizen."

Offline Leviathan

Command Center Control
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 03:11:54 PM »
Yes op2 is modable.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »
Yes op2 is modable.
So... It's possible to create new units, add support for 3D models, change the way disaster works, add new disasters etc?

Offline Savant 231-A

Command Center Control
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »
Yes op2 is modable.
Um, the page, please.
I'd like to mod op2, i've seen some... somthing like double trailers or... just give the page :P
"Come here citizen."

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:58:54 PM »
Yes op2 is modable.
So... It's possible to create new units, add support for 3D models, change the way disaster works, add new disasters etc?
As far as I've been told, all of that is completely impossible.

Offline White Claw

Command Center Control
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »
I believe they said it was modable. Not a completely open ended program that can do anything you plug into it. It is, and always will be, a 2D program based on tile sets. You can't change that.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
Lol, yeah, 3D models in a 2D game just doesn't make much sense.

And the other things are hard enough that they're just not feasible. OP2 is modable, but only slightly more than any other program out there is. The levels use DLLs, so you can do anything that executable code can do, but the supplied interface to the game engine is fairly weak, so there isn't a whole lot you can really do through it. Making basic levels works, but anything beyond that tends to take a serious amount of work and knowledge to do. Getting new behavior or units requires understanding how the game engine works internally and hacking it, or overwriting memory you're normally not supposed to touch.

If you're looking for easy mods, then you can change the graphics (tilesets are easy, units graphics are much harder), change the music, play around with the .txt files such as stats for weapons, and the tech trees, design new maps (possibly with new tilesets), and make simple level DLLs. I can't think of anything outside of that which is fairly easy.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 06:09:10 AM »
ok, thanks  :)  

Offline Savant 231-A

Command Center Control
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »
play around with the .txt files such as stats for weapons, and the tech trees, design new maps (possibly with new tilesets), and make simple level DLLs.
Eh, learn me.

This thing annoys me. I change it, ERROR. And so on.. I tried everything, i mean everything to change and nothing happend... I'm talking about weapon stats, techtrees, and stats for buildings and vehcs...
Please...learn me anyone :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:38:50 PM by Savant 231-A »
"Come here citizen."

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 08:15:07 PM »
You mostly just have to look at the format of the entries that are already there, and then change them a little.

Also note that case and order of tags may sometimes matter. I can't remember just how sensitive OP2 is to this, but keep that in mind if you're having trouble. In other words, if the other entries use "COST", don't type "cost". Also, if "COST" always comes before another tag like "DESCRIPTION", than make sure you do the same. Also, don't forget tags that every entry in the file has. In particular, don't forget the end tags.

Try checking the programming forum and archive for posts on the subject. I'm sure there is stuff in there somewhere on editing the .txt files. In particular the tech tree files.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 09:47:32 AM »
The levels use DLLs, so you can do anything that executable code can do, but the supplied interface to the game engine is fairly weak, so there isn't a whole lot you can really do through it.
Executable code? So a level DLL can be a virus?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 01:52:38 PM »
Technically yes, anything would be possible.

But if we find out that people are going to start exploiting the OP2 level mechanism for malicious purposes, they will be quickly banned.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »
I was looking through the programming topics and all the information are scattered.

Why not making a OP2 programming tutorial? With everything, from the compiler setup to levels examples? With the source code for every multiplayer/colony/campaign released?

And it would be nice to finish the Scriper(Eddy-B...) for the begginers.

Offline White Claw

Command Center Control
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 06:32:07 PM »
Why not? That's a fair bit o' work, and I think we'd like to see them continue on OP3...   :P  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Command Center Control
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »
Yeah, it's a lot of work, and if it was ever done, it'd be so huge that nobody would want to read it. It'd just be too intimidating to see all at once.

Besides, this way we get to weed out all the people that aren't motivated enough to get anything done.  :ph34r:

Well, ok, maybe not that last reason.

I think one of the bigger problems, is that most of this stuff is posted on the forums, and threads tend to become outdated or dissapear amonst all the other threads. If such a thing is ever written, it'd probably have to be done as a webpage or something. Maybe a downloadable pdf, ps, or chm file. Something with a little more stucture, and something a little more static.

There is also a problem with incomplete information. But I guess the forum is a pretty good place for keeping up with recent discoveries or changes, provided you already have some palce to start from.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »
The main problem is that all the information are scattered/need to spend a lot of time looking for the right topic and the right information.

Ok, the all-in-one-tutorial was a little dreamy. But a good 'intro' tutorial, with the basics concepts of the OP2 engine and mission making. And isn't necessary a C++ tutorial too.

The best format would be in PDF  :P  

Offline Mez

Command Center Control
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
Your asking basically for something like JavaDoc I think, but with some example of how to use some of the more obscure commands

Then a bit on comiling the source, and running it, along with some common errors and how to correct them?

Offline Brazilian Fan

Command Center Control
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »
Your asking basically for something like JavaDoc I think, but with some example of how to use some of the more obscure commands

Then a bit on comiling the source, and running it, along with some common errors and how to correct them?
Yea, kind of. It's JavaDoc+JavaTutorial but written specialy for OP2 programming, not C++ programming