Author Topic: How We Got So Far.  (Read 102153 times)

Offline Leviathan

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2005, 04:28:32 PM »
OK Ive just read this thread for the first time. Thx PlayingOP for reawaikening it.

OP2Patriot wrote:
the forum is where it is now due to two factors:
1) The posters making this an active forum
2) The administration working to make this forum better
Both factors are necessary for a good forum. If there were no posters, why would the administration work so hard to improve a community? If there were no people working to make this forum better, there would probably be no posters here either. Let us not forget that admins and mods are posters too. The whole community, from the newbie to the root admin have made this community work. The community has endured many hardships, from the NHCS closing down, the loss of a multiplayer server, the Killer Crisis, and the OPC vs OUF competition. Now we are about to have a multiplayer server. Now we are united under one forum, no longer quarreling why one forum is better than the other. We are in a period of prosperity, but that does not mean things cannot get better. We can even improve the community further. Maybe one day this forum will have an Outpost website! One day in the future, we may have tenfold the posters we have now! The only limits we have on ourselves now are the limits we place on ourselves!
We now have that Outpost community website. And we are working hard to improve things like he said.

op2hacker wrote:
Phil is definitely right. Its not one person, or a small group of people, that make the forums better, bigger, stronger, but it is the whole. It is everyone. So, stop your whining about who made this community succeed, and look at everyone.
We hope we can make the community (its no longer just the forums, because we have expaned lots since then) better, bigger and stronger.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2005, 06:44:54 PM »
Too bad phil isn't here now, it's his word that would probably settle the tides...afterall, he's always been a trusted member of the forums by all the posters
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline jesusfreak06

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2005, 08:02:34 AM »
well, i'm still a critic when it comes to this switch.. u say that the community is in charge, but for how long? r u guys goin to go thro another power struggle or is the forum gonna continue for the better of all OP fans world wide? and i didn't notice xfir was ever gettin tired of the forum or annoyed with running it... this is news to me
I am a dork! but hey, i'm a Christian dork.

Offline Leviathan

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2005, 08:08:16 AM »
the forum gonna continue for the better of all OP fans world wide
thats y we did it.

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2005, 07:40:14 PM »
*about to be overrun in Eden Population Hard, debates whether or not to turn on my trainer* *decides to pause game and go online* *gets over here*

Auntie 'Em! Auntie 'Em! ... Leave a community for over a year ... and lots of stuff happens. *hits self on head* Philbo, what did you expect what happen?

*tries to figure out what the blazes is going on*

Too bad phil isn't here now, it's his word that would probably settle the tides...afterall, he's always been a trusted member of the forums by all the posters

Last time I tried to settle tides I was at war with half the forum, and I become the official scapegoat. Here's the deal, I am back for now. *tries to figure out what is happening*

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2005, 08:18:58 PM »
When was that?  I remember an argument over the temp-banning of it...
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2005, 08:22:59 PM »
Well, it was back ... I'd say summer 2003ish, where it2000us and a few posters decided to be uncivil. I told xfir go for the iron fist approach, advice I would never give again, and we pretty much had a war of sorts with the uncivil posters, and they tried to make Ezekel's forum active again.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2005, 10:28:37 AM »
now I remember, I was trying to convince you guys to go a little easier on him...oops :heh:
CK9 in outpost

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »
Wow. Well, time to say this and put myself in a crossfire... or say this and then magically disappear for several months again.

Today, I got bored and decided to see what was new at the OPU forums. But, instead of forums, I saw a white page, with a message in black times new roman font. And a link at the bottom.

First of all, let me remind you of what this place is. A message board for a computer game. This isn't politics. Pretty ridiculous for something like this to happen TWO times, only xfir didn't do anything nearly as bad as Kiler (edit: accidentally put someone else, it was floating around in my head and I mindlessly typed it up) did the first time, if he did anything at all.

Lev, you said you did this to do what you thought the community wanted/needed. Notice that you only THOUGHT that. Why did you assume what the community wanted when the whole community is around you? Why didn't you ask them instead of ask yourself?

Hmm... can't say anything else. Yet. Let me make more sense of what happened first...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:38:59 PM by Arklon »

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2005, 03:18:03 AM »
To make a quick point, we've had politics in this community at least ever since Killer's first admin killing spree. Then we had the forum war between this forum and Ezekel's. Oh, then there was the incident I was referring to earlier. For as long as I have had any powers in any Outpost forum and since I've noticed politics.

I actually teach my staff at my forum about this forum so that they have an idea on how to handle worse case scenarios. Other forums are not as complicated as this forum when it comes to the community.

The chief concern at the moment shouldn't be finger pointing, we already have enough of that on both sides, but it should be making this community uncomplicated.

Now this view, I hope it won't sound like heresy to some of you, but my belief is that with a more active forum, some of the Outpost projects we want to get done will follow, not the other way around. If we keep on having incidents which divide the community, we will lose people from dissatisfaction.

Here is my observation, and I will state it without siding with anyone: Like it or not, op2hacker and Lev got their hands dirty. It was the means which we got be the current ends which probably does not put much confidence in the current administration. We can stock this forum up with as many moderators as we want, but the true power staffwise is the administrator, and it is my belief that there will be more confidence in the administration here at this forum with either a neutral party or pro-xfir administrator. Whether or not the right thing was done by Lev and hacker is another thing, but what they did was definitly didn't make for much of a good PR move.

Anyways, my suggestion I want strongly considered if not taken: we need to take steps which would serve to decomplicate the community. There may be confidence in Lev and hacker as programmers, but not as much as leaders of a community forum. We need to have whatever divide between this community eliminated. Suggestions from both sides and neutral parties I would like to hear.

We should focus less on what was done but more on what to do.

Offline Leviathan

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2005, 04:25:00 AM »
Were ready to hear your suggestions, about anything and everything.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2006, 07:46:03 AM »
Xfir has started up a forum with the old database. Just wanted to point that out  :op2:. Not sure if they will be taking it in the OP2 route still tho.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2006, 08:19:34 AM »
That's old news, he did it quite a while ago (perhaps a month or more, I'm not certain how long ago).

It's got very little to do with OP2... most of it is just general discussion / chat.

Offline spirit1flyer

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »
for the ratio of members here and the amount of posts on OP2, Compared to the amount of members there and the amount of OP2 posts,  I would say that its equal in amount.    
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2006, 12:35:26 PM »
Can't we all just get along and have a nice game of op2? Is that so much to ask?

Offline spirit1flyer

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2006, 02:10:01 PM »
nope its not.    In fact we were mulling over the idea of having a tourny.

Just because some of us support Xfir,   Does not mean we can't get along.

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline lordly_dragon

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2006, 12:15:37 PM »
a tournament this sound like a good idea :) I approve :D

edit: and count me in
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:15:57 PM by lordly_dragon »

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »
That's old news, he did it quite a while ago (perhaps a month or more, I'm not certain how long ago).

It would be more widely known if there had not been so much censoring of our attempts to mention the news.

As I've stated at xfir's ... soon to be the Plymouth Command Site, I am up for a tourney.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2006, 09:53:12 PM »
if we do get a tourney going, someone better help me figure how to get IP to work through a network I can't access the router on (my dad forgot the password he set on the router at home >.< )
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sl0vi

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »
if we do get a tourney going, someone better help me figure how to get IP to work through a network I can't access the router on (my dad forgot the password he set on the router at home >.< )
Use hamachi
!!!YAY!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2006, 12:23:43 AM »
hamachi lags me too much
CK9 in outpost

Offline spirit1flyer

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2006, 09:44:11 AM »
A router messes things up bigtime.   thats why every game I have tried since I got it, does not work.

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
is there such thing as a splitter cable for a LAN line?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Mez

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
You could splice the cable.

But you could only use one end of the cable at once, unless ur possibly wanting to do some packet sniffing???

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
If I could split it, I could get the connection before it hits the router.
CK9 in outpost