Author Topic: Mod For The Cc  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:03:48 PM »
In multyplayer the second leading cause of death is starvation, when someone is in the middle of a battle and forgets to build an extra agradome, they may have enough food to run the people working in the coloney, but instead of having the idle workers die first, the game has the scientists die first, whether they are working or not.

So very soon you can find yourself without scientists, even though you still have a healthy reserve of workers you can't train them to become scientists, and your coloney dies a very slow and very unfun boring death

what I am proposing is that the cc would be able to train 2 workers at a time, IF you have less than 3 scientists, flavorwise we could say that the savant computers are training them

This feature would only be available if you have reshurched the university, and hyponedia, and if you have less than 3 scientists

I know people will say that you should budget your food better or train more scientists while you can, but when you are scrambling over 3 or more vec facts trying to win a distant battle, it can be kinda hard

so what do you guys think?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »
I like it, especially since distant battles are the most common for me (I <3 fractures)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »
I love the idea. I want to see it ingame! :D:D
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:42:23 AM »
I think it is a cool idea.. unfortunately we'll have to wait till we understand more about the game's inner workings before we could actually make it happen :/

hopefully we can do it someday though :)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »
sounds like something that would be interesting in Op3, Beta, you can post it in the Op3 forums if you want :).
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
well in op3 I was thinking that, the pop and starving system could be different, instead of killing off scientists first, it would kill of the unoccupied colonists, and than workers working in non critical jobs (residence exc) then scientists working in med labs exc

essentually with a new game, you can make it new everything, alleviating the problem at its base so we wouldn't need a quick fix like that (corse if you could do this for op2 easier than modding the cc, I'm all for that too lol)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »
or make it so that it will keep a certain percentage of each colonist type alive during starvation until the moment of colony death
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 11:31:50 PM »
Why not just follow the logic here guys ?

Workers, the backbone of your colony are the ones growing the food, naturally, they get the food first.

Scientists, doing little physical work are dependant on workers to grow food for them. Should the supplies fail, they will be the last to be fed. Naturally, they die first.

In any case, the fun with OP2 are all the micromanagement. If you focus too much on one area, you fail in others. If your to busy building up a great base, or high tech's, you will be neglecting the ever present battlefield, and of course vice versa.

Instead of trying to make the game easier for yourselves, rise to the challenge and try to gain control of all areas of the game.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Jgamer

Mod For The Cc
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »
Highlander: Actually, I could argue that with the scientists major importance (As they are workers too. Oh, in how many games didn't I had more scientists as workers than true workers? Until I discovered how to manage things. And many of the critically important buildings run with scientist) they'd be fed first, so they die last.

And gods, you guys should not alleviate the base-building troubles, like Highlander said. One of the best features of this game is that you not only have to worry about war, but also about having people die in starvation. Damn, my favorite tactic is still crushing my cousin's Agridomes and see him cry (Yar, I can't play online and i'm forced to play via Lan with the only one around, him. He's a total newbie, I am too =P). Yes, that kills my morale and I totally have to forget war, but at this point he's lost all his scientists and it's dyeing a slow death

Offline Sirbomber

Mod For The Cc
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »
I say we just reprogram Outpost 2 to make the kids die first.
They aren't doing anything, and you can use the extra worker and scientist that were running the now useless Nursery for something else!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »
How about we just chose the easiest solution here.. ?

Leave Starvation as it is, and let players starve/lose a couple of games, and learn to watch their food supplies.. ?

I mean, it has worked in the past.. I see no reason why our current players can't learn to do it ?

Offline Sirbomber

Mod For The Cc
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »
Silly Highlander.
If we did that, people would have to learn how to play the game!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »
:blush:  Oh yeah. Almost forgot about that.

Better get Dan codes back, and add in one where people can get extra scientists. Much better. (thumbsup)  

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 06:54:12 AM »
i say we reprogram op2 to make the ppl who b**** about starvation die first >:D

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »
Certain types of colonists don't die 'first' when OP2 starves them off.

I believe Hooman made a post detailing how it starves off people.. it works in an order, starving X people of each type. The 'position' in this order is saved.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 09:43:06 PM »
okay, all you people who seem to think that this is about making the game easier to play: it's more about tweaking small features to improve logical inconsistancies.  Personally, I have never had my colony die of starvation, not even in plymouth mission 12.  However, while the colonists are starving, I'm watching the messages and the numbers are just completely rediculous.  Half my scientists were dead while a quarter of that number in workers--the majority of the population--died.  I don't know about you guys, but I like the games that I play to have as few logical falicies as possible.
CK9 in outpost

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 11:40:29 PM »
games as a whole are logical fallacies. scale, time, physics.... pretty much everything is exaggerated or not explained at all. attempting to make op2 as realistic as possible while keeping it op2 is impossible. trying to work all those factors into a new game or sequel would accomplish what game developers have been trying to do for decades. and not to be rude, but i doubt the first people to do it will be us.

if you want to explain things, do it with research items. you can add some more if you like but why not further explain why things are the way they are with research summaries?

op2 would suck if i had to bring my vehicles back into the garage because they randomly break down or had to rebuild an agridome because some plants got a fungus or half my population dies because the food was contaminated or buildings randomly explode because colonists randomly get space madness and suicide bomb my cc or residences.

just think about it... if we actually put all these ideas into op2 or another game how would it play? personally i think it would suck. and it wouldnt just end there. the ideas would continue to get more and more elaborate and convoluted until the game no longer makes sense and a player is overwhelmed with micromanagement.

some of these ideas are good by themselves but if any two were combined and put into any game it would be ruined. why dont you guys work on an op2 mapper or network fixes or tilesets or maps or the myriad other things we could use?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
because I can't code yet -.-
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »
Then why don't people start learning to code.  :P

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »
It's not that simple for me, I need the time to learn first.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »
howabout this, once food gets low people stop having kids, it makes sence, who wants to have kids when there is barly enough food to feed the existing population?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Mod For The Cc
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 11:31:10 PM »
crazy people
CK9 in outpost