Author Topic: New Irc Server  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
New Irc Server
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:40:40 AM »
As you all have witnessed on quakenet, it is slowly becoming worse and worse. The pings at times are horrible, netsplits kicks us off, and also the rules are getting even stricter. There is one option that comes to mind, create our own private irc server for OPU.

With having our own private IRC server, we can regulate the way we do...well...anything! Recently, the OPU team has set up an IRC server, which we are hosting on a server of mine. Later we plan to create a HUB of 3-4(maybe more) so that the IRC network will always be available incase of a server going down. The next step is to have the whole community join us. We are inviting you all to come join the new server so that not only will you get a feel for it, but maybe will want to make this change permanent.

IRC Server: irc.konker.net Port: 6667

Command in IRC: /server -m irc.konker.net -j #outpost2

Edit by op2hacker: /server -m instead of server -n :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:42:10 AM by op2hacker »
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »
I wanted to say that there are a few other features that will make people's lives easier. I'll give a quick rundown of the features:

First of all, we have the standard IRC services you'll find on most networks: NickServ, ChanServ, MemoServ, OperServ, BotServ, and HostServ.

I'll go thru a quick rundown if you're not familiar:
NickServ - similar to Q on quakenet, registers your nick. It allows you to 'own' a nick, in other words if someone tries to use your nick and they don't log in within a minute it will forcibly change their nick.

ChanServ - similar to L (and Q for big channels) on quakenet, registers a channel. This is better than L since it can hold up to 1024 users in the list (so 1024 users for autovoice/op/etc).

MemoServ - lets you send memos to other registered NickServ users. (Quakenet has nothing like this). If they're not one it will send them the memo as soon as they arrive and identify with NickServ.

OperServ - similar to O on quakenet, mostly for use by IRCops (server administrators). Used to send announcements, recover lost passwords, that sort of thing.

BotServ - allows adding server-run bots to users' channels (another thing quakenet doesn't really have). They do various fun things like games and what not. (Think fishbot, though we can 'define' different bots and such).

HostServ - allows giving users custom vhosts which will appear in their whois and anywhere a hostname would appear.
For example, username@i.love.cows (or anything of your choice).

I will post commands/info on how to do various things like register your username, login to your username, register a channel, etc.

The IRC server itself has a lot of interesting / useful settings that quakenet doesn't have, for example:
30 character nick limit

Halfops (The % symbol, mode +h, a lot of people asked about this)

Other modes for users like protection (&, mode +a, prevents you from getting kicked/banned/etc), channel owner (~, mode +q, can add other owners / protected users)

Channel modes such as +G (G rated channel) it will replace swear words with <censored>, good if you have little kids around or such.

Excepts and invites (modes e and I). Excepts allow a user to be 'excepted' from a ban, for example if you ban the mask *!*@* no one can get in. then in the excepts list you could add users you want to allow in. Similar use like if you ban an ISP but want to let certain users in.
Invites allow people to directly join a channel without an invite even if the channel is +i (invite only). Few irc networks actually support these 2 things (though mirc has commands to control them)

SSL connections, if you want to have a secure connection to IRC.

/knock command if you want to ask for invites in a +i channel.

Built in flood protection / join throttling that you can set on the channel. There are other settings like to prevent people from changing nick while in the channel, prevent unregistered users from joining, etc.

Anyway, I could go on for a long time about this. As far as lag, my lag is about half that of what it normally is on quakenet.

Check the server out -- we hope you'll enjoy.

Offline Leviathan

New Irc Server
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
Good work guys :)

Once the domains are moved it will be irc.opu.org.uk

Offline thablkpanda

New Irc Server
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »
This is interesting as well.

I'll be on in a bit.

-Chris

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 09:16:54 AM »
When do you think everyone will migrate over?

Offline Leviathan

New Irc Server
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 09:38:45 AM »
We will never fully leave QuakeNet as we are established there and its a popular server and everything but we would like people to use the new server also.  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 12:47:31 PM »
Then nobody will ever use the new server since few are actually on it.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »
Exactly, the news in the old servers should be changed to reflect the server change, and people should be encouraged in the irc to switch.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 01:16:44 PM »
We should get some more servers up, though.

Offline thablkpanda

New Irc Server
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 12:48:07 AM »
Well-

As all the IRC regulars know- I've practically got a datacenter setup in my office. The upside is you'll have systems that are ALWAYS up at my office. The downside is that 3/5 of them run at 80% CPU load about 24/7. The remaining two aren't connected to the web.

Hence the problem

-Chris

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
New Irc Server
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 02:34:47 PM »
if we put all the main channels on the new server and just leave one running on quakenet i think everyone will start making the switch.

ppl should announce to others joining the chan to get on the new server immediately.

if it doesnt come off as mandatory, nobody will do it ;)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
Post it in the news section of the forums that there is a definate switch so no one is left in the dark and also change the Mirc downloads so they join out irc server instead of Qnet.  Also leave a Redirect bot or Idler that auto tells any one that enters where to find us.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
New Irc Server
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »
Nice to have a new server, but we tryed to make the switch 3 times now (Undernet, Pun-net, and Zig-net), why would it work this time?

Besides I don't really see how I will personally profitate from the switch. All the advantages listed above don't effect me.

Finally, I prefer to use an IRC server under NEUTRAL control. Its not that I don't trust our admins, its just  that they could incidentally stumble across something thats not for their eyes.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 01:18:34 AM »
because we are going to try this time and run the server alot better then punboy and zzj

Offline thablkpanda

New Irc Server
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »
TH300 couldn't be more right.

Having the site/IRC Server under the control of our own entity isn't the way to go. There has to be another way to do these things. And just saying we'll 'try' to do better isn't quite going to cut it...

-Chris

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Irc Server
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 03:27:11 AM »
There's one difference this time (if we gonna do it the way hacker suggested): there will be a network of servers, each with its own admin. If one person happens to withdraws his server from the network (like what happened with pun-net and zig-net), the other servers will stay online, and the network itself won't be offline. This only menas we need to link the servers (most IRC software can do this), and supply all IP addresses to the people. This can be done by using irc1.outpostuniverse.net , irc2.outpostuniverse.net , etc.. and have them point to the appropriate IPs. In case someone changes IP, the DNS can be updated.
People then only should add a few of those addresses to their IRC client. I myself have a 24/7 connection with 512 kbit max upload capability, which is more then enough for a handfull of chatters; we hardly ever go over 20 members at any given time.
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 09:45:49 AM »
TH300 couldn't be more right.

Having the site/IRC Server under the control of our own entity isn't the way to go. There has to be another way to do these things. And just saying we'll 'try' to do better isn't quite going to cut it...

-Chris
Well, one thing is certain: QuakeNet SUCKS[/font].

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »
Ok here is a question for you what the hell are you all afraid of before you start objecting at the top of your voice.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
New Irc Server
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 04:32:11 AM »
so far i havent seen one good argument for not having it. i see no cons with the new server that could not be easily worked around.

do ppl fear change that much? or are the cons being over-inflated?

the pros of this move outweigh them.

the admins can already read everything if they wanted to, private chats would still be secure if u know what yur doing on the new server. it really seems like ppl arent using it simply because its new. insane.  :find:  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 04:37:47 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 09:13:37 AM »
More people might go to it if there was a file posted that they put in their irc folder that sends them to the new network, or even if the old network's topic was changed to include the join command.

That would fix the two major problems I see preventing people from switching. 1) people who don't regularly use the fourms are informed, and 2) people who don't know how the irc works can have it auto-join the server by downloading a file.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:15:12 AM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
the admins can already read everything if they wanted to
Well, the IRC server software prevents this. We simply can't go and read people's PM's. Also, there is no real workaround that would allow us to do this (you would have to incorporate such a change in ALL connected irc servers. Of course if we were to try to do that it wouldn't go over well with anyone else who was hosting a server).

And even then, if you STILL don't trust the server, you can always use direct DCC chats or password protected websites or anything else. Even on Quakenet, I use DCC chat if I'm sending or receiving an important password to or from someone else because that would prevent the server from being able to see the data. (DCC connections are made directly between two users, the server isn't involved at all and can't see your data, any more than Microsoft could see data you're transmitting to Paypal, as an example)

As for changing I don't think it would be too hard to do. We could put directions on the forum, or even send out a mass mailing to forum members, saying how to change their client settings to connect to the new network. And for those who didn't know how, or didn't want to do this change manually, they could always download a new version of mIRC (or even a script / program that could do the change automatically and leave their settings alone).

As for changing to Undernet / PunboyNet / whatever: Undernet was intended to be an 'extension' so people could connect there and have their messages relayed between the servers, never a replacement for connecting to Quakenet.

We never wanted to switch to Punboy's servers as far as I can remember. There might have been a few but by and large people weren't interested.

The switch to ZZJ's server was temporary since Quakenet was g-lining major American ISPs for a couple of days and a majority of people couldn't connect to Quakenet. That was never intended to be a permanent switch.

---

The main advantage I see for the switch is the decreased lag / netsplits as compared to Quakenet. However, whether to switch or not to switch is totally up to the community. If people want to switch, there are no logistics problems, the switch could be done within a couple of days. If people don't want to switch, we simply continue as we are.

Offline Chandler

New Irc Server
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 09:22:01 PM »
What's the odds of getting UNO back online on the new server ?
Chandler

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
New Irc Server
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 02:00:30 AM »
like everything, its probably up to demand.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Irc Server
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »
It should be working already, just /join #Outpost2.lobby and type !uno as before.