Author Topic: Combined Surveyer/miner  (Read 6004 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Combined Surveyer/miner
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:18:36 PM »
Combined Surveyer/Miner

Originally proposed by CK9

Related ideas:

- none

Description:

Can automatically build a mine after surveying it.

This is a good idea, because:

- Saves a little time.
- fewer units to worry about.

This is a bad idea, because:

- not guarantied to find a good mine.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:35:20 PM »
I see this as more of a Advanced Miner.  Still having the other 2 vecs.  Basicly I see this mining more efficently thus having a higher yield.

Offline edencomander

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:41:36 AM »
It should not make a mine when it crosis over a mine but survey it (thumbsdown).
It should have a mining opshon.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »
Or a single unit that can survey without having to build a mine, or transfer the survey ability to the scout unit.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »
NO the surveyor is the one that does the mine looking not the scout the scout doesnt have the PICK AXE attachment to test the geology of the ground

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 10:58:41 PM »
Still, I can't think of a convincing gameplay reason to have an entire unit that just surveys mines.  Either additional use for the unit would be needed, or transfer the function to another unit.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:21:03 PM »
Why do we need one unit that can do every thing.  Nothing needs to transfer to another unit they each have there job.   Adding more functionallity to the vec is ok as long as it pretains to its basic function.  Not a Scout getting the Ablity to survey mines steal research and make icecream

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:51:15 AM »
croxis, uhh.... thats what we do now and prolly will in the future. You dedicate one unit to finding the resources so another one can concentrate on the mining. there are alot of facilities that have to be on a vehicle to locate resources and stuffing them on a mining vehicle would force you to sacrifice the mining or the locating aspect. having the two seperate is always smarter.

you let the surveyor go out to the countryside to analyze mining sites so that YOU can make later decisions about which to work on mining. i think its smart to map out all the nearby mining beacons so you can mine all the 3 bars and then worry about the 2 and 1 bars later on.

so yeah, thats the logical reason but whats the gameplay reasoning? I imagine it has something to do with how some maps begin. you have no buildings but have a convoy. think about it, if you had a unit that surveyed and mined in the same vehicle and you were given two at the start of a map, how likely would you be to only use ONE to mine and use the other to scout the rest of the map for expansion sites? not as much as if you had a dedicated surveyor unit. it also makes robo miners more important in the beginning of a game when you are more likely to keep it close and carefully choose where you send it. its one of those subtle things that doesnt make a huge difference until you remove it or change its properties in the game.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:35:45 PM »
It is pointless to make it combined, And the origonal idea ( see TH300's post)... that will just make people frustrated in the long run.

I think it should stay the way it is.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 07:18:13 PM »
thinking about the scout having a use though I like the CCF idea, where you need scouts to find the beacons initially, that also makes sense, the scout uses its long range sensors to make a preliminary analysis, than the surveyor comes by and makes a more detailed reading, and than the miner comes
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Stormy

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 11:40:43 PM »
Now what you're suggesting beta, is a good idea. You could also do it OP2 style by using the surveyor first...

You can do the initial scan with the scout, but to mine it you need the surveyor and then the miner.

What are the things that would make users want to use a scout before the surveyor? Faster build time on the mine? Or just to tell if it's a 3,2, or 1 bar... then to use it you must survey it...

Offline Tramis

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »
I think the scout would be required to find the beacon in the first place, then you use the surveyor to survey it.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 02:28:06 AM »
let just remember to start people out with a scout then lol

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 03:34:56 AM »
The Surveyor and the Miner are one of the things that make OP2 interesting and keeps it separate from many other games. In other games you more often that not, just send out x amount of units to collect as much resources as you can.

The Surveyor and Miner represent some of that special OP2 feeling, and I would very much like to keep that part of the OP series.

Now the big shock ;)

- Beta, I think I have seen that idea with scouts mentioned before, but yes.. Having a scout locate mining locations before the surveyor can survey it, sounds like a good idea.
One I would very much like to see implemented. (thumbsup)  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »
oh geeze...I still remember the dream that gave me that idea

My original intetion was that it was a new vehicle while keeping the other two.  The fact that it automatically builds was ment to balance it out so that players wouldn't just ditch the surveyor and miner automatically.  It's really ment for landrush type games where the time it takes to survey and build your first mine could make a serious difference
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »
The explaination of this feature could be as follows:

"...With the greater demand to setup our colony quickly and efficiently, we have given our scouts modifications to also check the ore rating of the mine. Keep in mind that you must survey it after before you can build the mine..."

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 06:28:58 PM »
so they could tell if it is common or rare, but not the yield (bars)?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Stormy

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »
I think it should be the other way around... but I don't know of a valid reason to justfiy this.... any ideas?

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »
I would think the surveyor would have to be used to determine anything about the ore

the scout would only have radar and magnetic induction (metal detectors) and thus would only be able to tell when metal is near the surface

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:33 AM »
I would think the surveyor would have to be used to determine anything about the ore

the scout would only have radar and magnetic induction (metal detectors) and thus would only be able to tell when metal is near the surface
I like that version of the idea more.

I want this in op3, so if nothing speaks against it ..

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 09:24:35 AM »
having a vec that automaticly builds on the the mine it just sureveyed would be bad because its not like you get a flock of these. and the first mine you look at is a one bar. and your forced to use that and get owned by every one

Offline Skydock Command

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
The scout would only have radar and magnetic induction (metal detectors) and thus would only be able to tell when metal is near the surface

I think this is a great idea, and it also could give us a more realistic sort of play. Just as long as it keeps it original function.

(note: As far as I can tell all the scout does is say "Enemy Sighted" and in that 1 mission on hard where you have to use the scout to identify pieces of wrakage from the Casonoga)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 05:07:23 PM by Skydock Command »
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 10:53:46 PM »
hmmmmm  I dont know about that scout senor considering how deep ore can be here on earth.

I am not liking the scout to go find the mine stuff either.  why does any one want to spend 20 minutes to find a damn ore mine and then go build on it.  doing it with the scout seems like a waste of time and its very very easy to miss a mine with the scout.

Offline Skydock Command

Combined Surveyer/miner
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 06:40:21 AM »
What if once you found a mine as a saftey thing it would say 'Mining location disscoverd' and it would permenetly be on your map like the Outpost 2 beacons.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.