Poll

Should we be able to talk about the non-functional cheats?

Yes
34 (73.9%)
No
8 (17.4%)
Maybe
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Cheat Discussion  (Read 10818 times)

Offline Mez

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »
You can find cheats on a cheat site, and use them on the original CD version of the game.

You dnt need to talk about the cheats, there is no need to.

If you need to talk about do it in your own irc channel, or something

Offline Leviathan

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 02:02:47 AM »
People can talk about the cheats if they like.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 02:58:41 AM »
But why, WHY, do you want to talk about the cheats?? what do you gain?
A little bit more freedom of speech actually. That is about it.
Freedom should always be connected with responsibility. And still there are places where I wouldn't mind you talking about cheats, where you have your freedom. You don't have freedom in #Outpost2 anyway, You may not curse etc., because some people don't like it. But if other people don't like to read over cheats, you just ignore that.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 10:55:54 AM »
that's a very bad comparison.  Swearing is punishable to those under a certain age by their parents, cheats are not.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 11:45:09 AM »
You don't have freedom in #Outpost2 anyway, You may not curse
Since when!?  :huh:  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »
You don't have freedom in #Outpost2 anyway, You may not curse
Since when!?  :huh:
ok, what I meant was: you may not use bad language.

however, there are things that you may not do in #Outpost2 and that was my point, nothing specific.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:55:51 PM by TH300 »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
This is starting to remind me of a theory by Thomas Hobbs...
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:54 PM »
Looks the "Yes" people win this round ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
Looks the "Yes" people win this round ?
Doesn't change my position.
Can't wait to see everyone cheating in singleplayer.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »
Well, I don't think we should talk about cheating for a few reasons.

First of all, cheating helped kill the game on WON. A few people got ahold of the cheats and ran with them, telling other people and posting them on various websites. Less people wanted to play because people were using cheats.

Second of all, talking about cheating has the possibility to encourage cheating through alternate means. A cheat code isn't the only way you can cheat (obvious). Other means of cheating include forcing players to drop, not following game rules (ex. building / attacking before attack / build mark, allying in an FFA), and using trainers (in single player).

When people talk about cheating that can get them interested in it and make them want to do it.

Take an example from last week. I gave a friend some old (non OP1/2) games because I don't play them. (Yes, I know I should have given him OP2 but he has no internet connection) I was explaining the game, and I decided to input some cheats (so stuff would build faster, unlimited money etc). Well, big mistake. He didn't use the cheats but his brother (who was nearby) wrote them down and according to my friend uses them often when he plays.

Many people will try use cheats if they get the chance to.

And as everyone should know, using the cheats makes the game less fun.  When a game gets boring, people stop playing it. And I'm sure that's something that we can all agree wouldn't want to happen.

Offline Sl0vi

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
Freedom should always be connected with responsibility. And still there are places where I wouldn't mind you talking about cheats, where you have your freedom. You don't have freedom in #Outpost2 anyway, You may not curse etc., because some people don't like it. But if other people don't like to read over cheats, you just ignore that.
What does cursing have to do with talking about cheats??? Your turning what I said into something else! I never said we had complete freedom of speech.

The rules against using bad language are ok. Because some members might get in trouble for it, and it may be highly offensive to others. People can say pretty much anything they want without swearing!

The thing is, I don't really see a reason why we shouldn't be allowed talking about the cheats. They've been disabled in the latest versions of OP2, which are the ones we use for multiplayer. So no one can use the cheats to ruin the game for others. People have their own free will to install the cd-version and use the cheats in singleplayer if they want.

If you can't keep your self from using cheats just because you know them, disallowing talking about them won't solve your problem, you just might stumble accross them somewhere by accident. Your just ignoring your problem, not dealing with it.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline TH300

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 03:45:21 AM »
What does cursing have to do with talking about cheats??? Your turning what I said into something else! I never said we had complete freedom of speech.

The rules against using bad language are ok. Because some members might get in trouble for it, and it may be highly offensive to others. People can say pretty much anything they want without swearing!
I didn't compare cheats with bad language. you would know if you read my other post. But if there is little reason to not talk about cheats and there is no real reason to talk about them, we should disallow talking about them.

The thing is, I don't really see a reason why we shouldn't be allowed talking about the cheats. They've been disabled in the latest versions of OP2, which are the ones we use for multiplayer. So no one can use the cheats to ruin the game for others. People have their own free will to install the cd-version and use the cheats in singleplayer if they want.
read hackers post.

If you can't keep your self from using cheats just because you know them, disallowing talking about them won't solve your problem, you just might stumble accross them somewhere by accident. Your just ignoring your problem, not dealing with it.
I know the cheats. I stumbled over them when someone posted them. AND I never ever used them, not even once.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:46:12 AM by TH300 »

Offline Sirbomber

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 09:41:26 AM »
First of all, cheating helped kill the game on WON. A few people got ahold of the cheats and ran with them, telling other people and posting them on various websites. Less people wanted to play because people were using cheats.

Second of all, talking about cheating has the possibility to encourage cheating through alternate means. A cheat code isn't the only way you can cheat (obvious). Other means of cheating include forcing players to drop, not following game rules (ex. building / attacking before attack / build mark, allying in an FFA), and using trainers (in single player).

When people talk about cheating that can get them interested in it and make them want to do it.

Take an example from last week. I gave a friend some old (non OP1/2) games because I don't play them. (Yes, I know I should have given him OP2 but he has no internet connection) I was explaining the game, and I decided to input some cheats (so stuff would build faster, unlimited money etc). Well, big mistake. He didn't use the cheats but his brother (who was nearby) wrote them down and according to my friend uses them often when he plays.

Many people will try use cheats if they get the chance to.

And as everyone should know, using the cheats makes the game less fun.  When a game gets boring, people stop playing it. And I'm sure that's something that we can all agree wouldn't want to happen.
1) We aren't on WON anymore, most of us know everyone else, and typing in Dan's whatever in OP2 has the same effect as typing in any cheat from any other game in OP2: nothing.

2) If people cheat through "alternative means" it's not that hard to notice and nobody will want to play OP2 with them anymore. It hurts them more than it hurts us. If people want to cheat in single player, WHY DO YOU CARE!? Frankly, I'd LOVE to just be able to skip those God-awful "Get 10000 Common Ore in storage" maps. They're just filler misisons because the people in charge of OP2 were lazy and they couldn't think of anything else to have us do.

3) Your friend's brother is an idiot then and if he doesn't want to actually learn to play the game, why sohuld any of us care? If he thinks it's fun, let him do what he wants.

4) Why would we want people who think a game is only fun if you cheat hanging around here anyways? If cheating makes a game less fun for somebody, then they either don't cheat anymore and learn to actually play or they give up on the game, which works fine for me. If you can't play fairly, don't play.

But tell me if I've missed some important detail and if we disable the bot's auto-kick then OP2 will magically re-enable the Dan's cheats by itself. (sarcasm)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 09:53:17 AM »
Okay, to Hacker and TH300:

If someone wants to be a dipstick and only use cheats, let them.  It isn't in multi, so they aren't harming anyone but themselves.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »
Just as we can't force people to use cheats, we should not take the means to force them not to use cheats either.

Offline instigator

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:15 PM »
Well I think that we need to have the information written down somewhere and catalogued, just because its a part of the Oupost 2 history... and seeing how as we are the last remaining vestibule of Outpost 2 people we might want to keep everything intact.
Absolutely! It is part of the legacy of Outpost2. If we stay all hush hush about it then ppl will eventually forget that there were even codes. Plus its a tribute to the one of the original designers who's name was Dan. I know the new version has been modified and now has OPU member names and such but it all goes back to history. Log it somewhere. Make a record. DON'T HIDE IT. We can't let any part of this game become extinct. After all, thats not an option.  :P  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
Maybe even have a history section of the wiki with "The day the last lynx stood" or something like that as a title, telling about how cheats nearly ruined the game.
CK9 in outpost

Offline PUNK_FOX

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
Do cheats even work on the download because I've tried and it doesn't work. it doesn't woof:woof. :blink:  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline siqueule

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »
I think if the cheats don't work when you tip it, you must forget the cappital letter or the point
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:09:36 AM by siqueule »
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Leviathan

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »
they are disabled in our versions.

thats why it is ok to talk about them because you cant use them in multiplayer.

Offline siqueule

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2006, 06:18:18 AM »
there isn't a security when a player try to tip a cheat in a multiplayer game?
I know a game, when one enter a cheat in the multiplayer mode, that could have enought tragic consequence  (thumbsup)  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort

Offline Sirbomber

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
No, you could cheat in OP2 multiplayer.
That's why we disabled them!
You can type whatever you want as much as you want and nothing will happen.
They won't work in single player either, and they never will again.

Offline siqueule

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
you have reason, op2 is less interesting with cheats

an asteroid on the command center to recall to the order, that could be funny
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:26:36 PM by siqueule »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Cheat Discussion
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
Yeah, that would have been fun.

Instead of editing out the cheats, whenever a person types them in, a massive amount of disasters strike their base.

Not sure how compatible this would be with MP and "Disasters Off" but it would be funny as hell hehe

Offline siqueule

Cheat Discussion
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »
one can disactive the disasters in the mp mode?