Poll

What's the coolest way to create power ?

Tokamak
2 (5.6%)
MHD
12 (33.3%)
GeoThermal
13 (36.1%)
Solar
8 (22.2%)
Command Center
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Power  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Power
« on: December 01, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »
okay - go !
---
i voted solar btw: coz it's just too cool having power send to you from a satellite
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:31:25 PM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:15:57 PM »
MHD, because it's got cool lightning on it.

And you don't need a stupid fumarole to build it on.

Offline Sirbomber

Power
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 05:16:18 PM »
Geocons because they give you a lot of power and can be upgraded to give you uber power.

Or did you mean which produces the least heat?

And all GOOD maps have fumaroles on it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:16:57 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Power
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 05:22:04 PM »
Solar Owns as they never break down ^_^ no maintnence and they dont have a emp wave when they explode (dont quite me on that)...

Plus in reallife im working on makeing my lap solar powered with a big battery system...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »
Ya gotta love what geothermal can do for your colony. Plus, it's fun finding and tapping fumaroles. Not that they ever seem to move around. But yeah, it'd be cool if people would tap more power that way here and now.

Solar power kinda sucks if you're plymouth though. Just build MHD. Of course if you lose a solar power array, you only need to spend the cost of the base structure. The satellite can't be destroyed.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:34:11 PM »
me, tokamok, mostly just because im a fusion guy

plus I like it cause its the only one that takes no rare ore, and has heavy armor, if it didnt have the hp degradation, there would be no reason to build the other types
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Power
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
I like MHD a lot.  I think I used one to buy time before in a game (blew it up to catch my opponent's vehicles in the EMP)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Power
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »
I like the idea of 20 million degree plasma being contained in a giant hollow doghnut with magnets, so the Tokomak Fusion Reactor is DEFINATLY my source!  :heh:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:49:11 AM »
Solor power is a underdog and is rarely used

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Power
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:47:42 AM »
with the turbulent geological activity on new terra i always somehow thought that fumeroles would be fickle. with the blight changing the structure of the crust, i assumed existing fumeroles would bleed off and new fumeroles would emerge, only to go dry soon after. so i never put much stock in them, even here on earth. that only leaves MHD and solar. i have to pick solar because i believe there is no emp when it explodes and once you set up the satellite, you never have to worry about it again. the sat cant be brought down. since MHD and solar both require rare ore, if youve got a choice between a tokamak and MHD or solar, go solar. its not like the sun is disappearing very soon. fumeroles are more likely to get cut off long before then :P

also, i always wondered where the geocons got enough water to inject into hot bedrock after the upgrade. the amount necessary to drive steam turbines by hot bedrock, potentially dozens of miles below must be massive. its prolly pointless to worry about tho
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 03:50:21 AM by dm-horus »

Offline siqueule

Power
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 05:38:01 AM »
to build a mhd generator: create the generator's kit in the adapted factory, build the generator

set up a solar reactor, it's build a spaceport, a launcher, a satellite, a receptor... it's more hard

I prefer the mhd, even they can explode
the tokamaks too: that add animation when they release us in full war :D  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 05:41:05 AM by siqueule »
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Harky

Power
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 07:13:41 AM »
I think geocons are.. there small and powerful.. they dont really bother ur base too much becasue they usually are too far away to really hit anything and becasue there smaller there not a widly attacked target not for me anyways

Offline Leviathan

Power
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 10:02:04 AM »
the coolest way has to be solar because u need a satalite in orbit and thats where the power is coming from, the sun.

tho i voted for MHD as its the best because they r power plants that dont need to be rapaired. also i love their look.

Offline omagaalpha

Power
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 04:58:45 AM »
yea I like solar for don't has worry about destroy it self. plus look cool. Easy to have lots of them.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline siqueule

Power
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 05:22:24 AM »
moreover, the "magnetohydrodynamic" that appears more futuristic and improved than the solar pannels... and op2 it is the future
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Starfox00000

Power
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
You forgot Command Center power! lol

Its MHD because their much cheaper, unless your doing a space race or your eden, then its solar

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 12:13:49 PM »
I once built a base where all the power sourses were CC's lol

I was very board
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Power
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »
ok - sorry .. didn't see that coming, so i didn't add cc as a power supply!
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Mez

Power
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »
Added the CC, but ive already voted :(

Offline lordly_dragon

Power
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 05:08:45 PM »
lol geocon all the way =)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Sirbomber

Power
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 09:02:32 PM »
GeoCons are nice, but what about bombarding your base with EMP Missiles to create a radioactive shockwave big enough to cause a fold in the space-time continuum and then create a time-dialation generator to create a time portal to supply you with all the power you'll ever need! (and then just send a big army of tigers to crush your opponents before the game even starts!)

And if I mispelled anything, then cry me a river.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline lordly_dragon

Power
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »
wrong answer........but what a crazy theory  :P  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »
MHD or Geo con is the best.  Solar is good to but you have to spend more to get them running.  

Solar may not be futuristic but its a some what efficent way to get energy.

But I wonder what makes a CC have 50 power?  I would have to guess its either a deisle generator or a small stable tokamak.  I am sure sirbomber will come up with some thing.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 12:08:03 AM »
probly just a large cool fusion reactor, too big to fit on vecs, yet too small to provide enough power to be used as a main coloney power source

Offline Sirbomber

Power
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »
Oh my, well this is indeed a difficult subject. Command Center power generation, eh? Alright then...

I've done some research, and according to Outpost 1(.5), "the Command tile [OP1.5 Command Center] has its own battery power supply". According to Outpost 2, the Command Center is "equipped with a small power plant".

There was not, to say the least, a vast amount of information available to me.
Therefore, using the limited data I could acquire, I have developed this hypothesis:

The Command Center uses Gnome-Power.
There are hundreds of shafts dug hundreds of miles below the surface under the Command Center. Within these shafts are thousands of hampster wheels with gnomes on them, running all day long. The running of the gnomes causes the wheel to spin, thus generating electric power. Also, the cost of building the cages, digging the shafts, and cloning the gnomes is why the Command Center costs so much to build another one. Also, this hypothesis has led to speculation on what the purpose of the fourth worker needed by the Command Center is. Many believe that he makes sure the gnomes receive proper rations and cleans up the dead gnomes.

And there's your answer!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:33:38 AM by Sirbomber »