Author Topic: Opu Servers  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« on: November 28, 2005, 05:02:17 PM »
Well after looking at the internet connection thread i thought id post this.

Just wonderd if anyone could or does run a server on there home connection and would be willing to let OPU use it?

Linux or Windows is good. Infact id like a windows server to run colony wars server on.

Currently we have servers from Freeza, Joe and myself.

We use em for backups, irc bots and bncs, web server backup if we evea need somewhere to temporaly put website etc.

Offline zigzagjoe

Opu Servers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 05:04:55 PM »
I would say to go for linux only; its easier to manage and more secure. as far as the colony wars go, you can use WINE to run it most likely.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:13:50 PM »
im only a 1.5 adsl so nothing major can happen on me because im not the only one that uses the internet here lol.

Offline Sirbomber

Opu Servers
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »
So, I could be an OPCW server god? And take it down whenever I want for "maintenance" and kick people off of it for life because they made fun of me or they're better than me?  :evil laugh:

I'll think about it...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Opu Servers
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »
I might be able to do it someday, I'm thinking about making a render server. That could also double as a server... wait... oh darn... stupid ISP.. (they don't allow hosting with my current plan) :( :(

This stinks..

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 05:32:45 PM »
you should be able to what evea you like with ur bandwidth..?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:56:50 PM »
Yeah I'd think they'd allow it so long as it's not a well known service open to anyone (e.g. HTTP, anon FTP, etc) I wouldn't think they'd have a problem.

I might also add: We'd only take people who are trustworthy. Because we'd have to trust you with our data.
You have to be on a fast, always on connection.

Some pluses for us:
- Fast upload, low lag
- Able to run public servers
- root/Administrator control on a dedicated box
- UPS on the box and ur network equipment (eg router, modem, etc) is nice but not required.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 04:54:14 PM »
Yea it should be a seprate machine than the one you use to do stuff. Like a server comp with no screen that you can tuck away. Mines in my wardrobe :)

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Opu Servers
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 12:08:24 AM »
why have just one server? what about haveing multiple servers? a whole network of them so if one goes down the others can handle the load. you could then have much more bandwith. we could do somethign liek Seti at home only have them be servers not looking for aliens
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:09:41 AM by HaXtOr »

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:05:29 AM »
are u able to host a server for us Moogle?

Offline HaXtOr

Opu Servers
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 10:19:11 AM »
shure, I did it before for durring the Irc problems. I can probalby have a nice 1.00 Ghz p3/4 with 512mb of ram and a beefy 60-80 gigs of harddrive space built in a few days. I have all the parts and such.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 11:51:18 AM »
Thanks a lot, sounds great, any power is good :D

No rush. You gonna put linux on it ? What distro? Debian? Red Hat?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »
Well If your running a server for OPU there better not be any mischief going on in the background such as removing people because you dont like them or they pissed you off.  Or shuting down the server just because you can.  Threatning to shutdown the server is sorely looked upon.

BTW i have a UPS i need to plug it into the bot computer some time.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »
Oooo Freeza.

I should setup another sever also on my second net connection.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 02:15:37 PM »
Hmm, sometime I should run out to St. Vinnies or Goodwill and pick up some of those old boxes, fix them up and get them online. I have plenty of space for machines (huge walk in closet)

Believe it or not, you don't need a lot of power to run a server. Even a spare 233mhz P2 we could put to use in some way. The programs that we currently run aren't very CPU intensive. (The only exceptions are the fast machines, where we could run web or ftp servers, with permission of the machine owner of course).
Also, let us know what connection type you're on if you want to run a server with us (e.g. max bandwidth, monthly bandwidth limit if any, restrictions on what the ISP allows you to do, and network topology from the box to the internet (routers, switches, NAT boxes, firewalls, etc))
Also, machines you want us to use should be connected to a wired LAN, not thru wireless as wireless can be too unstable. Again, a box that is being used as a workstation doesn't count as a proper server, or boxes that are going to be toyed with in other ways. Or boxes where the power cord might get pulled out.

Again we take preference to people running Linux boxes who would be willing to give us full root access to the box.

If you want to run a server but don't have the technical knowledge to install a proper OS, let us know and we can walk you through installing the OS.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:17:34 PM by op2hacker »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Opu Servers
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 03:22:28 PM »
I could probably throw something together at some point. I have a 6/6mb stable connection at home that I could use plus unlimited upload bandwidth.

I eventually want to get a server computer running anyway so that I can eventually put together the OPUON (Outpost Universe Online Network) for OP:MIA and OP3 to use.

We'll see how things go.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. Chances are it will be a Win2003 server simply because that's what I know and it works well for me. Additionally, I only develop software for use on the Win32 platform because I don't really like Linux that much (the GUI is foreign and I don't feel like learning the command line stuff... for me that died with DOS).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:25:24 PM by leeor_net »

Offline HaXtOr

Opu Servers
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 05:13:31 PM »
So are we going to use my idea of a big cluster of servers so that one person isn't getting his/her bandwith sucked dry? This would be good also to have redundancy as it would suck to loose info and have downtime.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 05:48:21 PM »
We don't know yet.

It depends what the servers would be used for.
It also depends on whether the server software would have cluster support.

I can make some suggestions as to what they could possibly be used for, either now or in the future:
It would depend on the bandwidth available.
- File mirroring
- IRC bots / BNCs
- Backup slaves
- 3D Rendering slaves, if you have the extra bandwidth
- Dedicated BT seeders for OP-related files
- Possibly, HTTP backup servers for when the main server goes down
- OP:CW server
- Backup IRC servers
- Various other things, such as number crunching (the stats generator for the OPU|Bot is somewhat CPU intensive)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:53:12 PM by op2hacker »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Opu Servers
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 10:05:39 PM »
Well, the biggest reason I'm setting up a server is so that I can test Server/Client applications that I'm developing for OPUON. It's going to be new software and a new protocall because we just don't have enough of the SIGS/WON protocall information figured out and I'm getting very close to the point of needing the server-side software operational.

Although, I very much like Moogle's cluster idea... I just don't know if Win2003 supports it or not (or if I need 3rd-party software or something) so eh... whatever.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 05:36:12 AM »
Erm? OPUON??

The more machines the better.

And one of the reasons i started this thread was because i saw Leeor had 6meg upload :) Most ppl hav crapy upload. So would be great if u could get a server up at some point.

We dont need to do any cpu shareing cluster stuff. But a admin panel or something so you could start/stop stuff on any machine from one place would be helpfully.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 06:45:53 PM »
I think clustering might actually increase bandwidth use due to the syncronization issues. I could be wrong though. But still, it'd be a pain to setup, and if the DNS server goes down, well, what can you do anyways?

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
So anyone wanna setup a server for us?

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Opu Servers
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 09:42:09 PM »
Well I have a linux box I use only as a Nat router for 2 computers. If you want I'll give you guys SSH access to it. It hardly ever goes over 1% the way I use the thing. Here are it's specs Pentium 200MMX 64MB Ram and a 8.4GB harddrive. I have a 256Kb up/768Kb down connection. Forgot to mention that it has Smoothwall which pretty much is a bare linux OS with some added stuff like apache, open SSH, DHCP, and bind.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 09:45:19 PM by Oprime »
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »
Great OutpostPrime! Thx a lot :D

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Opu Servers
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
:P I have since upgraded that old dell and turned it into... frankendell. I busted some holes in the machine and now it has a Pentium 3, 192MB of ram. Installed this odd version of linux I found on Distrowatch.com. It's called clarkconnect. Based on redhat
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64