Author Topic: Outpost 2 Colony Wars  (Read 18886 times)

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« on: November 24, 2005, 10:15:02 AM »
hmm there was a topic i started wen i started the mmorpg one but looks like its lost forevea. anyway..

this is what i wrote over a year ago:
Outpost 2 Colony Wars is a internet based massively multiplayer strategy game. You take control of your own colony, build it up, mine minerals, build armies and fight each other for supremacy.

I started working on it again y'day, its writen in Visual Basic so ill probly be geting help form Hooman so it wont just be my project, well its a comunity project. anyway :)

I want ideas and help!

It will be like games like this, a web game. It wont be web based at first tho.
StarKingdoms
Dominion

Its gonna be set a bit in the future of Outpost 2, there will be big transport ships which are used to carry units to attack other players.

What resourses should there be?

Buildings?

Research?

How should attacks work?

Im gonna simpifly things a bit, instead of having ore mines, smelters and trucks you will just have a mineing colony which gives you a set income.

All for now  :whistle:

Post your ideas on how you want this game to be!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 05:09:32 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:37:59 AM »
Hmm

very nice Levi!

Will there be any graphics in this game? Exactly how will you play it? What is the point of the game?
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »
There will be a GUI as you can c from the sample pic.

You will play it by loging into your account and carrying out tasks like spending resoures.

The point is to become the strongest colony.

Check out the other games i linked to.

Tell me what you want for a Outpost based game! :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 11:46:51 AM by Leviathan »

Offline omagaalpha

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:19:23 PM »
Well think should  make so that more planet so that may get planet some one  on or be first new planet.  
Maybe can do research also little bit to. but think that stuff I suggest something after got first stage up and running lol
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »
How will this game work? I'm not familiar with any colony wars games.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »
colony wars is the name off it, if u read all of this thread u would of checked the other games i mentioned.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
So this game is like all other to become king of the hill and stay there as long as possible correct

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »
Well you have rounds, which usealy last a few months in starkingoms. At the end of the round the accounts are deleted and the stats reset.

You take control of a outpost colony, building it up and battleing other players etc.

Offline Ominus

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 02:21:58 PM »
Will there be the posibility of more colonys, let's say you could set a specific task for each colony providing you with materials, tanks, structures, food etc...

And how about pictures of your colony on a certain planet, that when you build a new structure it would apear on the picture. different planets youre building your colony on would mean different conditions for metal and other resources, this way you could decide where to build a mining colony.

that will be all for now....

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »
You just control one colony, its the same as starkingoms or dommion. Howevea i might add realms like in thos games, when you join the game you are placed in a random realm with other players (or pick the one to join) and these are your allies. everyone in the realm works together to become the most powerfull realm fighting and allying with other realms.

There is no map, it takes the same amount of time to attack any other players colony, no one person is further away.

Offline spirit1flyer

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
why don't we just use the army system and make some changes to make it an OP2 version?
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 04:08:27 PM »
because the forum ore sucks ass right now and a game would be a lot cooler then making a bunch of spam posts lol

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »
Because this will be far better and more complex. How about you post a message like 'sounds cool' if ur even going to bother posting.

Suggestions and Ideas plz.  

Offline spirit1flyer

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 04:31:57 PM »
would this be stand alone from the forum then?
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
Its in visual basic, so you have to download the client.

Offline lordly_dragon

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 07:11:21 PM »
well i think the first part of it would be to determine the tech tree of the game like building this let you add that, the unit of the game, balistic weapon like missile or things like that, people can die yes/no? is there team or its a free for all, what ressources would it be, is there research and building or just building or just research!

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 01:39:38 AM »
Yea players can be killed if there colony is destroyed. Im gonna start with common and rare ore but may add more later. I want suggestions.

There will be building of colony and your army and research like in op2.

You will be able to ally and set war status with other colonys.

Well ill most likely do what starkingdoms and other games do and have realms (sectors) and everyone in you realm is on your team. you can ally with other realms. Also each membner of the realm votes for the leader of the realm and the person in the realm with most votes is the leader of that  realm. There would be a limit to how many players per realm, also your only allowed one account.

Questions?
Suggestions, ideas etc?

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 09:02:39 AM »
Alright, it's time for my crazy ideas.

I'm not sure I like this "realms" idea. What if I don't want any pre-set allies?
Let's stick to common and rare metal.
So, will be building be like OP2 were you take the structure kit and build it or are you going to make it morel ike SC or C&C?
Actually, that could be a specail research or something that'd be hard to get. It'll let your ConVecs build on-site instead of through structure kits, but it would take longer to do. So you could still load them with kits.
People should be able to build a starship and colonize another world. And they should be able to take their allies with them if they want, or give their base to someone else. Or if they have enough people, you can have two bases running on two planets. Starship setup should be like OP1, where you pick your cargo. But there will be some miniums.
Starship cargo setup should look like this:
Colonists: (max capacity 200)
Children (min 50):   55
Workers (min 30):   45
Scientists (min 20): 30
Allied Children:     20
Allied Workers:     35
Allied Scientists:    15
Food/metal cargo (min 10k each)
Food:                   10k
Common Metals:   10k
Rare Metals:         10k
Cargo (max 5000 lbs)
Starship Equipment:
Solar Sat (25 lbs):  2 (50 lbs)
EDWARD Sat (10 lbs): 1 (10 lbs)
Landers (50 lbs): 4 (200 lbs)
Phoenix Module(500 lbs): 2 (1000 lbs) [1 phoenix module for each base]
Structures and Vehicles:
(just structure kits)
You can bring any vec, including lynx/etc.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 09:13:10 AM »
So, will be building be like OP2 were you take the structure kit and build it or are you going to make it morel ike SC or C&C?
Its not a RTS Sirbomber. Building are just built by clicking build and the ore is taken away then so many turns later the building is done. But there will be storage in the struc facs like in op2 and if u dont have an available convec when the stru is complete it will stay in storage untill u have a available convec to build the building.

I dont know how startship setup is in OP1, i vagely remember from the start of the game where you pick the stuff. if someone could take screen shots that would be good thx.

Im not sure about multi planets, most web games you just have the one colony and one area.

As for starship i do think it would be good to launch stuff to space like in OP2. Solar power plants etc.

But i might include multi planets later.

And you can attack people in your realm/sector. And you can start your own sector if you want to be on your own, or start your own and only let people you want in it to join.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »
Well, that basically answered my question just fine.
And I know it's not an RTS. I just wanted to know if buildings would just "show up" (like in SC) or if you'd still have to go through the structure kits and everything.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 12:33:14 PM »
what about if you have multiple str facts, would it speed up construction?  of corse the facts themselves would be very expencive and take alot of time to build, but I think that would be a good improvement
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »
each structure fac can build one structure kit at a time like in op2.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 02:31:25 PM »
Im not sure about multi planets, most web games you just have the one colony and one area.
Well, we're > "most web games".
We should be able to build more than one colony, but have a limit so things don't get screwed up or somebody becomes impossible to kill because they have 200 invulnerable colonies.

Hey, I wrote 300 posts, and I'd guess 90% of them led to something ending up in the garbage can.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »
:D

Im starting to like the idea of multi areas. Maybe you could pick which one you start in, and you cant drive units to attack other players in different areas, you have to use transport ships, and it takes a long time to travel, also you cant send missile attacks to people in different areas.

And limits, well a real powerfull colony cant attack a newbie colony.

Well if one player gets real powerfull, their the winer, unless you get everyone to beat the fop out of them before the game is over. And their account gets deleted at the end of the round anyway :)

Any more suggestions and ideas currently? I know I havent shown you anything yet so im not supprised at lack of ideas etc.

Cant wait for first version to be done, gonna work on it this weekend and c what i can get done, got univ work also tho, as allways.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 04:16:32 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »
I think it'd be more interesting if the accounts weren't deleted and things didn't "start over". If one planet is completely conquered, people will start off at the next one, maybe one far away from the "uber colony". That way if the uber people built a ship, it'd take too long to get to the new planet and they'd be able to fight them off.

I think accounts should only be reset as a last resort to balance everything out.