Author Topic: Colony War Turns  (Read 9617 times)

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:36:18 AM »
Colony Wars is turn based but in real time, each hour is a turn. I need to work out how long everything will take.

Think about how long things take in Outpost 2.

Each building
Each unit, maybe it takes 1 turn to build 2 tigers and 1 turn to build 3 lynx.
Time each research would take, labs, scientis etc.
How long it would take for children to be born and workers to be trained. Number of Nurserys & Univs etc
How long for a army to get to a players colony for an attack.
How long to a army to return to colony after a attack.
Units in the army, speed upgrades etc.
I was thinking you could send and trade resouses with cargo trucks etc so how long would it take them to travel to another colony.

Food produced each turn, num of arigdomes.
Food eaten each turn, num of people.

Im sure there is more.

Offline gamerscd0

Colony War Turns
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »
i see very interesting this colony wars thing is interesting id like to see it when its done

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:38:36 PM »
I played a game on the internet once like that and they gave you 500 point when you started and you could use how ever many point to do various tasks.  and you could even blow all 500 at once lol.  But ever hour you gain 2 points and for every 10 hours that you are not on the account you get 100 points.  There was a maximum of 450 points that you can gain.  And there was a bank of reserve points which was 500.  

As for other things you had to spend points to get people and materials.  depending on how much you spend dictates what how much of some thing you get.

Say you spend 5 point to mine Ore you might get 3 to 10 ore in a shot.  Then you might spend 5 more points to get more colonists and that wouldnt be very many because it getting more colonists is based on how many colonists already. so at the start you may get 2 or 3 but later on yo could get around 20 to 30 in one shot.

Now the more you have the more your worth of course thus the Ranking system comes into play.  And the Attack situation.

A super high rank cant attack a super low rank just wouldnt be fair.  And when some one attacks it cost points and you can assign how many vecs you want to send on this attack.

I can go one but its gets boring typing all this out lol

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »
Yeah there are games like that which ive seen, i think the more popular way is to have turns and as time passes things happen and when you have resourses you can spend them.

This thread is for length that things take in the game. One turn will be one hour in real time.

Please post your suggestions for all the buildings, units etc (the time they take to build) The game will have the buildigns and units which are in Outpost 2.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:55:57 PM »
im thinking we should keep this as much op2 as possible, you dont buy colonists, their born and trained, you may not need a nursery or university, but both would increase the amount born/trained, and possibly reshurch would increase those as well, probly by a persentage, so there is alot to reshurch

buildings and units would be built using the ore that they give you every turn, building more mines and smelters will increase that, but there would be a limit on the number of mines per land area, and a limit on the number of smelters per mine

food, I think we need more divirsity here, not just agradomes, but mabe super agradomes for when your coloneygets huge (somthing ive wished for in op2)

morale would increase or decrease food production, the rate of production and reshurch, and mabe even the output of the smelters, it would be changed every tick baised on the same things that affect it in the game (you will have alot of time to make the coloney, so morale shouldnt be much of a problem)

combat, im not so sure about, mabe the point system we had in mind for the store

also im wondering, what will we build with heavy metals? will it be lynx only take common, panthers take common and rare, and tigers take all 3, or are we making a super heavy chassis like the lion?

the great thing about this type of game is that you can releace a minimal amount to the public, and than just work on it and add featchures as it goes along
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 02:06:45 PM »
Well the heavy metals was just a suggest, its all to be decided atm thats why i want input for the game in the other thread. Tho what i did have in mind for heavy metals was it would only be needed for a few things like nukes and maybe other vecs.

Yea Beta thats the great thing about this, we can add as many units or buildings to it as possible. I was thinking of havin super aridgomes yea.

As for land, each building will take up one piece of land. No spare land then you cant build buildigns :P

Yea keep it like op2, i was thinking of having most of the op2 researches.

As for morale i dont plan on includeing that right away, it will be complicated once i do include it, but its in op2 so it should be a part of this realy.

Combat will be complicated to work out, not sure how ill do it yet.

Please, just use this thread for suggestions on how long each thing should take to build like i said before.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Colony War Turns
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
Why not use the numbers in sheets.vol ?

like research: developTime / numScientists
and then just give "points' each turn, just like how research works in steps in op2.
Example:
research = 1200
numScientists= 3
that means, you'll need 400 points to finish. If the game gives you 100 points per turn, it'll take u 4 turns te research

and for units: the commonOre number

Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 04:51:55 PM »
Yea i gess you cant get any more accurate and close to op2 than if u use the values from op2 :)

Offline Sirbomber

Colony War Turns
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:19:23 AM »
Ick, turns? Hour long turns? I'm not sure I like this idea...
It should be real time and if you're not there, you should have some units set to a defend mode or something. Maybe your allies that are on will take control of your units to fight for you.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »
Lol you got the wrong idea, its real time, each tick or game turn is one hour. So each hour you get income from your mines etc.

Offline Ominus

Colony War Turns
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 08:38:50 AM »
but will there be enought to do in one hour or will u just have to wait after you set everything u can in that hour?

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »
Well these web games are made so you just need to login once or twice a day to tende to your kingdom.

Offline lordly_dragon

Colony War Turns
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 10:04:22 PM »
yep true! also those web game are based upon teamwork to win most of the time. the first age of orkfia was won by my alliance and it was mainly because we crushed everyone :P

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 12:18:49 AM »
Yeah, I notice a lot of people suggesting some sort of point system, where each thing you do costs so many points. I think I rather like that idea. In particular, I think I rather liked Eddy's suggestion. So sorry Lev if this post isn't quite what you're asking for.

The thing that I'm worried about, is if turns are every hour, and there is no point system to store up turns, then you're stuck logging in every hour to play if you want to stay ahead. That's very disrupting for someone who might get really into the game. For their sake, you should allow them to keep up with the game without having to log in more than once or twice a day. Any more than that, and it just becomes a nuisance.

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 01:24:59 AM »
Ok i will make this clear. Game ticks are every hour. A game tick is when the server calulates your income etc.

Tick and Turn are names for the same thing.

But your confused because there are turns/points in other games whch are actions.

I hope thru beta testing we can get the timeing right.

You should only need to login once a day to keep at a good condition i think. But these web games are designed for at least 2 logins a day.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:27:17 AM by Leviathan »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »
Why not use the numbers in sheets.vol ?
Yeah, I think that's a good idea, is to start with the OP2 numbers for the most accurate gameplay.

Then you can slightly modify the numbers to make it fit more in the realm of an MMORPG.

As for storing up turns and using them, I used to play an mmorpg called WWII War of Supremacy (http://war.darkent.com/)

You got something like 50 turns every 15 minutes (and it had a counter at the bottom which said something like, "7 minutes till next turn.") Once that time elapsed the player would get 50 more turns. For example you could do something and then press "End Turn" and it would use one of your turns. Or some actions (like there was an eminent domain to let you take money and land from the citizens) would automatically use turns and you couldn't do other actions like construction or attacking on those turns.
(The input box for E.D. popped up and asked something like "How many turns to do Eminent Domain?")

After all those 50 turns were used up you had to wait until the next 15 minutes for more turns.

It did store up turns, but to a certain extent, like 900 max turns or something.

So you couldn't just sit, not play the game for 2 weeks or whatever and end up with thousands of turns. (2 wks worth of 'global' events still occurred to your account though)

I think 1 hr is a bit long per turn

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 03:17:23 PM »
of corse in this, you wont have it build each building and vec one at a time, you would set ques, so you would tell it what you want the coloney to do, and while you are gone, it would do it

so say you tell it to build 100 lynx, than you log off, as your gone, the game will produce lynx every hour untill the order is fulfilled

although, will there be bonuses if you dont log in for a while, like 10 hours or so, and if so, what will they be, morale boosts? extra ore, mabe a free reshurch topic on the same  tech level that your reashurching?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Mez

Colony War Turns
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »
I dont like that idea, i would give those bonuses if you don't interfere with the system in 10 hours.  e.g. You know there could be an attack happening so you then have to decide wether to risk it and let it do its thing so you get the bonus, or wether you cancel teh action and deal with the impending attack.

I wouldn't like to leave the game for 10 hours in which time some disaster could affect my colony severly, whi8ch could ahve been saved if id logged in on the 8 hour mark, and stopped the order.

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »
Well hacker u have it wrong its not gonna be like that, its gonna be like SK and Dom where you just have resourses to spend each time you log in. There is no limit to how many actions you can do. But once you have spent all your resourses and maybe done a attack and anything else there realy is nothing else to do.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Colony War Turns
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »
mmk. i shouldve read this one first. my first MAJOR question is will this game be graphical (like op2 or better), simple graphics (clickable icons and similar basic graphics) or text based?

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 05:17:02 PM »
it will be text based with a user gui like the other web games i mentioned in the main thread.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 06:23:34 PM »
well its not like you can control your army like you do in op2, no real stratigy or logistics are involved, just the power of the invading army, and the toughness of the defending army are involved (at least early on, later new tricks could be put in place to diversify combat)

the bonus would probly be just overnight, cause I doubt people would log in 24/7 and they would like their little present in the morning

I used to play a game sorta like this, it was a midevil game, but the objective was to build a base, scout for land, gain resources, and send out armys, and every 20 hrs or so of inactivity, the people would grant you with a gold bonus

Offline Leviathan

Colony War Turns
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 06:27:09 PM »
a lot of these games give you land and resourse bonus for loging in each day and claiming your daily bonus by clicking the adtervisments on the site.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 06:36:08 PM »
Ahh, I think I get what you're saying Lev. But then, it's just resources such as ore are essentially what everyone else is referring to as turns. It's the limiting factor that stops you from playing all day. Well, that works.

What about a max ore storage? Can you only build up so much ore before you can't gain anymore?

And I don't really like the idea of having to stay offline to get bonuses. I prefer the idea of a daily bonus that you can collect once a day, if you login. You should benefit frequent players, not people who play once per week.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colony War Turns
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »
yea I agree