Author Topic: Outpost 2 Survivor  (Read 18690 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2005, 06:33:41 PM »
well on land rush games it is, as long as you have people and vecs, once you set down, it turnes into the no cc=death

mabe we can just remove the trigger that would start the los mode, and thus as long as you have people and at least one vec, you will still live
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2005, 07:18:58 PM »
Just have some starflares :P Or if you are plymouth, just get a few novas and you are good :D.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2005, 07:50:55 PM »
You have to find wreckage for combat vecs though. At least on the AtW one.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline thablkpanda

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2005, 11:01:30 PM »
Interesting theories people-

I'm thinking that those of you with the LR maps, have plymouth and eden starting on opposite sides of the map (i'm sure it's possible, just check for the "0/1" in the Eden box, eh?) Where on one side, eden has to deal with the afore-effects of the blight, and the other side, where plymouth deals with the afore-effects of the volcanoes. Of course there's the fact that they both 'spread', so eventually plymouth and eden players will be dealing with the same/similar problems. If you want it to fit to the storyline, I'd say that's the way to go.

I'm really liking the ideas coming along. If there's anything I could help with, do not hesitate to call/question me A.S.A.P, I'll be busy all through Dec.->Feb. but after that, I'm all free (so I say now...)

Holla,
Christopher Merchant
Merchant Enterprises
thablkpanda@thablkpanda.com - I pick this one up on my PDA, so if it's highly urgent.. that's the one.
thablkpanda@gmail.com - Main acct.
bigpanda@thablkpanda.com - 'Public' Acct; close friends have access to this one, so nothing personal should go here.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2005, 01:47:50 PM »
Well, right now (as you know very well), the "no command center = mission failed" trigger just fails you at the start.  ;)
And I think there's a way to make it so so long as there's at least a kit, it won't fail you.
But I'll have to check and maybe ask some people. *hint*
Sirbomber, come on IRC and I'll help you out with this.

Basically you just need a land rush setup -- create Operational triggers for every user, and increment a count each time a CC is setup. Once the count reaches the number of players, destroy the operational triggers and create a OnePlayerLeft trigger for all users.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2005, 03:10:39 PM »
I'm thinking that those of you with the LR maps, have plymouth and eden starting on opposite sides of the map (i'm sure it's possible, just check for the "0/1" in the Eden box, eh?) Where on one side, eden has to deal with the afore-effects of the blight, and the other side, where plymouth deals with the afore-effects of the volcanoes. Of course there's the fact that they both 'spread', so eventually plymouth and eden players will be dealing with the same/similar problems. If you want it to fit to the storyline, I'd say that's the way to go.

I can't remember if said this to Mcshay only or to everyone, but there seems to be some confusion, so...
Everyone starts in the MIDDLE. Then the lab goes kaboomy and the you get a message saying to evacuate immediately. Then you can pick LEFT for more severe volcanoes and quakes or you can pick RIGHT for faster blight growth and more severe storms and vortexes.

Eden is not forced to take the right path, nor is Plymouth forced to take the left path.

At least, that's my current plan. But whatever, I want this to be what YOU all want, not what I want.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2005, 03:18:11 PM »
Mcshay and I were talking, we're going to try to have several maps. We're also thinking of having one which resembles the OP2 storyline as much as possible. There'll be the main Eden colony, and you can go right and have the Eden storyline, dealing with more blight and weather disasters, or you can go left and have the Plymouth storyline, dealing more volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Then you'll be able to fight over the wreckage sites and mining outposts (if you want). We can't force the raids on the other colonies or the Gene Bank theft (who would have the gene bank and who would have to steal it?), but people could attack each others' bases if they wanted to anyways.

Oh, and I'm thinking of making all research take longer so it'll be harder, longer, and hopefuly more fun.
Already had that idea.

My result is that it is currently infeaseable with the latest map editor.

Two reasons:   You need a gigantic map (as I said before, this was my original intent!)
Copying and pasting large amounts of "cells" (ie maps) is rather difficult atm.   Last time I tried that, it didn't do anything that I could see.

For storyline:
It is possible to follow both, since all events take place on one planet, New Terra.   So it is feaseable to have all existing maps in the SP campaign, and maybe even some MP maps (thinking of Unsettled Earth, actually), assumeing you make the map size big enough.   1024x768 should do it, at least for most.   Many of the maps are not that big.

The disasters are all going to occure anyway, so no point in making differences.   There will be eruptions, quakes, blight, ect.

If you want to have raids on a player's colony, you can have an AI base do it.   Players themselves may see such a thing as unfair to them, as its all vs them to win.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2005, 06:14:28 PM »
We're not copying or pasted anything from the campaign levels, we're just using the basic ideas from them.

And could you please stop making it sound like we've copied your idea...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 06:16:13 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »
It does sound like you are saying Sirbomber and the others took your idea. I don't think they did, however, I would like to point out that Bakion is pointing out something from experience from what I can tell, so don't turn off all the way ;).

Keep up the good work B)

Stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2005, 02:00:40 PM »
Well.. it's all for the good of the player community isn't it?

I don't recall anything like this being posted or even really discussed before. Besides Sirbomber and Mcshay have made considerable headway with the project, I haven't seen anything like it from anyone else.

We're not here to act like primary school children "I did it first!" etc. We're here for the enjoyment of the Outpost games.

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
I'm saying, while no work has really been put into it by me, (well not more then about 150 tiles on a 1024x768 map), I have given the idea considerable thought, and have done much discussion with primarily Hooman on what can and can't work.   A little with Eddy-B and some with hacker as well.
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Mez

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2005, 05:15:35 PM »
Simple solution to disabled bases:

idle them!

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2005, 05:26:01 PM »
When buildings are infected, idled or not, they are added to the disabled building list reguardless, and the savant will go "Structures Disabled" every 10ish marks
No way around this, other then A: Killing infected buildings (this can be done by script) or B: Giveing control to a neutral player (ie player 7)
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2005, 05:37:42 PM »
Hmmm... either choice is acceptable, and I'm leaning towards choice b. How would the game figure out what's infected and how would it be given to player 7 though?

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »
Mabe you could make a vector of all the buildings, and check if they are blighted every 5ish marks. I can't tell you how though, /me should look at the code more.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2005, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm sure there is an easy way of checking for blight infected buildings.

I'd also like to point out that even if day and night are (supposedly) disabled, the bilght growth will still be affected based on where day and night *should* be, if it was enabled. Turning it off only really affects the display, but not internal calculations. Which kinda leaves me to wonder when people claim day and night causes lag. But then I guess it's gotta draw the extra shadow overlay, and update the minimap.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2005, 07:46:30 PM »
Hi everyone! I have good news and bad news, and since there's more good news, let's start with that!  :huh:

Good News 1:
The bases are mostly set up, except for player 4, who's tokamak is embedded in a cliff. Whee.

Good News 2:

As you can clearly see, the black Eden base is under construction. You'd better thank me, this was pretty hard. The agridoems crash the game if they don't like the spot I picked for them. And now...

The Bad News:

As you can also clearly see, it's mark 5 or something, early anyways, and the build option is nowhere to be seen.

SPECIAL FEATURE: If you look, you can see the Tokamak embedded in the cliff.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
Good News and Bad news Continued!

Good News:

The first map is more than half way done.

Bad News:

It still will have to be tweaked and tested.

Edit: I just had an idea to make games with moral and games without moral both work. Have the moral of all the players added up and averaged every 10 or so marks, then change the blight speed according to this (low moral = slower blight).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:03:58 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2005, 09:00:11 PM »
My progress for today was zero. I've been busy from 6 AM to 10 PM. But I'll be trying to get the structure factory working.
If anybody has any ideas about how this might have happened, and how to fix it, that'd be nice.
But now I'm getting[size=8]tiredandeverythingskindablendingtogeth...[/size] zzz

But, if you didn't know (and you probably never will because this is just an edit [die ziggy]) you can expect to see a beta version by tomorrow! (11/9/05)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:12:03 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »
This project is NOT dead. Right now, me and Hacker are finding an easier way to find a good blight growth speed.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
Nobody ever said it was dead... Just nobody else was posting and the last time I double posted it was not good.

The first one will be out with the next update (unless somebody scres something up) and I might feel like getting around to another one someday. Right now I am doing other stuff though which may or may not be OP2/OPU related.

Anyways, here's a relative progress-o-meter:
PHASE 0 [::::::::::] (Learning what I'm actually doing)
PHASE 1 [::::::::::] (Primary Design Phase)
PHASE 2 [::::::::::] (Secondary Design Phase)
PHASE 3 [::::::::::] (Testing)
PHASE 4 [::::::::::] (Fixing and re-testing)
PHASE 5 [::::::::::] (Telling Hacker to put it in the enxt update)
PHASE 6 [::--------] (Talking about it and making people think it's super-awesome)
PHASE 7 [----------] (Ensuring everyone is excited about it)
PHASE 8 [:::::-----] (Working on maps 2 and 3)

I'd better get to work on Phase 6 and 7 some more.

Survivor will be super duper uber and you will like it a lot!
What did you expect? A movie that showed scenes from it and talked about what it was like! Too bad!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »
We got our blight simulator working.

Offline lordly_dragon

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
coool gj arklon. if you need beta tester tell me ;)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
coool gj arklon. if you need beta tester tell me ;)
... It's just an OP2 mission DLL with a memory hack to make the game loop run super fast, and with some other stuff.

And, um, Hacker actually made the damn thing, I was just the one prodding him into making it :P

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2006, 06:28:09 PM »
I'm willing to give the blight simulator out to other people if they need it.

Basically, what it does is, measures how long it takes the blight to infect a certain area. It lets you enter a spread speed on the chat line, and select start and end points by self destructing a scout at those points.

You can then enter a light position (as day & night affects blight) and then it starts the simulation (which takes about 30 sec to fill the map since the game is running as fast as possible).

If this would be useful to anyone else making a mission with blight, let me know and I'll hook you up.