Author Topic: Outpost 2 Survivor  (Read 18673 times)

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »
I had an idea like this, however I had different ideas...   Players started in a fully built base, with a lot of vehicles.   I never decided who would own the base, could be player 7, dunno if that'd work.
The players would run away.   The closest mines would be Tripples.   Thus, players would immediately set down.   That, and I'd give em only like 1000 food, so they don't go far.   They must basically sit and build up resources and survive for a bit.   Normal tech tree is enabled, weapons are disabled.   At mark, say, 250, blight hits the home base, starting from a centralized Adv. Lab.   It'd just sit there for a bit, then it'd spread quickly at this point, and would soon overtake all players bases.   The sitting around time gives players time to grab the basic, essential stuff...   CC, SF, Agri, Tok, Smelter.   Take too long, and you die anyway.   After about 10 marks that players bases had been obliterated, the players would have to find a new base.   Local beacons would be simply doubles, but if they did it right, they can drive a fair distance away.   The blight would spread slowly from then on.   Players objectives simply become to leave the planet.
Disasters would start off as simply meteor showers, randomly placed, and repeating throughout the game.
The first disasters players would experience, would be Earthquakes.
Second would be Volcanic Eruptions.
Third, Electrical stroms begin to appear, and fly accross the map.
Fourth and final, Vortexes appear (New Terra's atmosphere is thick enough that they are no longer simple dust storms)

How Objectives would be done:
First set, simple objective, move out and build elsewhere.   It'd be put as this.   "Build a base, and grow."
Every reserch but Rare Ore, and any Weapons reserch is unavailable, as welll as any tech that depends on these.
Blight occures at Lab, (1,241) Roughly half way down the map size I was thinking.
Objective changes.
"Evacuate Colonists" (Dependent on Evacuation transports.   Each transport=25 colonists.)
"Evacuate Command Center"
"Evacuate 5000 units of Common Metals"
ect...
Note: Based on what is in convecs, lots of detection is necessary.    Failure to complete an objective after your CC is disabled, results in game over for you.   You cannot control any units, you are basically made neutral.  You can continue to observe, but thats it.   Cause of CC disabled is not necessary, be it from an enemy, disaster, or Blight.
*NOTE: After the blight hits a command center, will require detect...   ALL technology reserched is removed, Players only have access to Basic Labs.
After 100 marks, players must simply run from the blight.   Objectives change at this mark (Time Trigger)
The objective is simply this...
"Have a Command Center in Storage"
For when blight shows up, min buildings in storage are all the basic stuff.
"Completely Reserch Basic Lab Techs" Not gonna list them, too lazy.
ECT.

The idea basically follows how the campaigns where done!
You have to reserch technology, recover bits of Starship wreckage, and eventually leave New Terra.

I was hoping to make blight visible by having to research a specialized technology only available after the relocation is complete, also placed in Basic Lab.   Called "Blight Detection".
Final objective: First player to leave New Terra wins.   No allied victory.

The problem with this?   I'd require a larger map, a simple world map would not be enough.   I was thinking at least a 512x512 or larger (1024x512 would be gigantic)

Why?   Spaceship technology and even RARE technology would be held off for a considerable length of time.   And players would still have to collect Conestoga Remains, as well as whatch their bases.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 11:31:42 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2005, 11:33:55 PM »
I'm purposely sticking this off from the main post.
I was thinking we could turn this into a group project!   Simply by 1 person (me) would be quite a lot of work, and you probobly could not expect a release until summer of 2006 (I am actually VERY busy at the moment, and will be even busier after January)
Oh, and just because I'm a conceited little brat....
THATS MY IDEA YOU THEIF!   I HAD IT FIRST!  GIMME!
j/k... if you didn't already guess, but I believe I did have it first...

Because I wish to be an ass about this, and show evidence that its MINE....
Here
I want to be in the CREDITS!

Okay, enough assness, heres some constructive help:
Might be better to have more then one person programming this, you can really make it fancy and nice looking if you are willing to put in the work on it.   Who knows!   Might even be tons of fun!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 11:57:04 PM by Baikon »
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2005, 08:00:26 AM »
A... A 1024x512!?!?  :blink:
(head pops off)
Hmm... I'm not quite sure what you meant: if your cc gets infected AT ALL during the game, you lose all your research? Not very fun...

Anyways, I was also thinking, since New Terra's atmosphere is getting THICKER, shouldn't the meteors, technically, start big and end small, then non-existant? (burning up in atmosphere).

And I will never click on your "evidence".  :P

Hmm, I do have an idea for wreckage though. Some wreckage pieces give you starship tech, and a very few pieces in isolated and dangerous areas of the map will give you mobile weapons platform. How's that sound?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:35:36 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »
well than it would be, basicly whoever starts nearest to the wep wreakage, would win, cause they could just build lynx and kill everyone else, who would be defenceless
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2005, 12:39:21 PM »
It's a land rush, so you can't start closest to it. And it'd be in hard to reach areas. Like your vecs have to go single file through a canyon maze and it's tornado storm earthquake alley.

And techtree problems (Mcshay knows what I'm talking about) have been solved with the help of Eddy-B. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:01:03 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 01:44:02 PM »

Here's a AtW map. The lava erupts first, then at about mark 100 the blight goes off. The disasters are equal throughout this map, except for the blue area. It would be best to play this is d/n mode, so the blight is expanding somewhere, and sleeping in others (hide from the sun!).

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 02:21:20 PM »
Good idea, but I was thinking the main base should be around the bottom of the map.

Key:
M - Main Base (Black)
1/2/3/4/5/6 - Players 1-6 start location
Major Wreckage Area - Where original starship crashed, can get a lot of starship wreckage here.*
MWP - Mobile Weapons Platform Wreckage**
Blue Triange - New Terran Triangle (lots of 3 bar ores, magma wells, and fumaroles, but constant disasters hit this area. Is it worth the risk?)

* - Indicates an area with more frequent disasters than usual.
** - Indicates an area with MAJOR disasters and/or extremely close to infected regions.

It was really zoomed out, so everything's off by a lot. Just so you know. Bases will be much closer together since they really don't consist of anything.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2005, 02:35:51 PM »
so in Mcshay's map, it would just be a rush to get on the other side of the lava, so you dont worry about blight, or would the lave flow really slow so that the blight could go around it?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2005, 02:38:38 PM »
Hmm... That's a good point. Will there be lava so the blight can't spread over both sides of the planet to corner you?  :huh:  

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2005, 02:45:35 PM »
The theme of my map is run, build, run, build. You'll need to have a first base (to prepair), then a second (to stage the crossing of death valley and recover wreakage) and a thrid to launch the starship. You could do it all in the second base, but you'll risk the blight getting you. Also, you don't have to run to the other side, those hidden side bases will last much longer than the ones in the center. So you could launch back there, if your fast. The point of death valley and the wreakage is to prevent people from rushing over there. You will have to have more than one base by the time the game ends.

Also, this isn't land rush.

Edit: the lava creates bases and makes the game last longer, the blight can't back-track. (and the lava is cool)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:46:20 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2005, 03:56:25 PM »
And this isn't going to be done on Around the World when it's finished... I don't think...
AtW is just so we can figure out what we're actually going to do with it... Right?

Theme of your map? I thought we were on the same one!

Clearly, I don't know anything about my own stuff.  :unsure:  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 03:57:19 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Tellaris

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2005, 04:58:48 PM »
The big problem with having blight is this:
Buildings are NOT destroyed by it.   Thus, you can quickly hit the building limit!   Once this occures, you can't do anything, and are thus screwed.
I was hopeing that building control could be transfered to a neutral player once infected, ex player 7.

The loss of tech would only occure ONCE.   Then, ALL techs would be unlocked to you.   But heres the trick, you gotta start out with the basic lab!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 05:00:04 PM by Baikon »
Click Here For Coolness

Offline spirit1flyer

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2005, 05:19:05 PM »
how about since in the storyline for OP2 there was only enough resorces for one spaceship you should have only 1 or two rare 3 bar mining spots?
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2005, 05:26:59 PM »
Hey, hacker (or whomever), we were testing this out and it looks like only one person can get the objective to check off for launching the spaceship parts.
Is this a bug or did I just screw up again?
Not like it'd be hard to work-around, just make the only objective "Evacuate 200 colonists".
But still, if it's a bug and can be easily fixed, that'd be great.
On the trigger creation, set the Player ID number to -1. (This makes it apply to all players).

The plan looks good so far!

BTW, should this thread be moved to the Colony games forum? it would seem to fit better there.

Offline spirit1flyer

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »
BTW, should this thread be moved to the Colony games forum? it would seem to fit better there.

well I first thought so too. But the colony game forum is more dedicated to singleplayer games and this seems to be looking more like a multiplayer colony game.  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »
Theme of your map? I thought we were on the same one!

Clearly, I don't know anything about my own stuff.  :unsure:
I thought we were doing the same thing, but I was brainstorming for future maps.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2005, 11:50:44 PM »
Nice work.. Looks like a challenge. It would be freaking awesome if we had it in Multi, which it looks like you guys are going to do :D

Stormy :op2:  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2005, 09:03:46 AM »
Looks good guys.

Maybe you wanna use Axen's Home aswell.. the least played map of them all..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2005, 02:32:48 PM »
Mcshay and I were talking, we're going to try to have several maps. We're also thinking of having one which resembles the OP2 storyline as much as possible. There'll be the main Eden colony, and you can go right and have the Eden storyline, dealing with more blight and weather disasters, or you can go left and have the Plymouth storyline, dealing more volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Then you'll be able to fight over the wreckage sites and mining outposts (if you want). We can't force the raids on the other colonies or the Gene Bank theft (who would have the gene bank and who would have to steal it?), but people could attack each others' bases if they wanted to anyways.

Oh, and I'm thinking of making all research take longer so it'll be harder, longer, and hopefuly more fun.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 03:05:15 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2005, 03:22:15 PM »
I strongly sugest not playing with morale, because the blight disables the buildings, so after your first base gets hit, it would be impossible to have any morale above 2

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
-> Smart players will deconstruct their bases before they move to a new site.

Please read the first post before you make assumptions...
I've already figured this out...  <_<

And if people don't want morale they can disable it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 03:24:20 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »
sometimes you wouldnt have time to deconstruct your base, it takes a pretty long time

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2005, 03:33:39 PM »
I think people would have plenty of time to deconstruct their base since they know where the blight will be at all times. Plus, if they're really smart, they'll deconstruct and leave their old base at night when the blight isn't spreading.

And besides, even if you turned morale off it would still tell you 200 Structures Disabled throughout the whole game.
Or, if you really needed time, you could have a decon team of convecs lying around.
Maybe I'll even make it so that once the blight hits the old bases, there will be 20 massive earthquakes at every possible base location, destroying anything left behind.

I've got plenty of ideas, pick one!  ;)  

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2005, 04:05:35 PM »
I'm thinking everyone know this, but if you take you base down first (without extra coding) you will loose. You need aleast to have a second cc when you start to deconstruct.

We could make a trigger that causes a disaster at any blighted structure.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 04:06:28 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »
Well, right now (as you know very well), the "no command center = mission failed" trigger just fails you at the start.  ;)
And I think there's a way to make it so so long as there's at least a kit, it won't fail you.
But I'll have to check and maybe ask some people. *hint*