Should OP3 have an economy?

Yes!
11 (52.4%)
Maybe (explain below, why and how etc.)
5 (23.8%)
No.
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Economy  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Economy
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 04:06:57 PM »
Unless it lets you get things you can't normally get (which I'm guessing it won't), I don't think this'll be good. Besides, they don't even HAVE money in OP2... do they?  :unsure:  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Economy
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 06:19:27 PM »
That's what I"m saying about the 'docking' port for the evac. It comes out like one of those airport docks on the larger planes like the 737  :D

Oh, and I'm not using 3DSMax.... I will use Maya for cutscenes, and If I can't buy it, I'll have to figure out how to get good at using particles with Blender (maybe they will come up with a better method for fire and whatnot)

So, I've got some solutions.

Still it's hard to believe that I was your average 12 year old in June, (i turned 13 the 11th of June)... And I had no knowledge of Modeling. With a tutorial Leeor pointed out to me, that jumpstarted my 'career' which is my 'career' for the project. So, Here I am now, with many skills that I had to learn myself (thumbsup)  :heh:  After a lot of work and reading....
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Economy
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »
Great job Stormy :D

We wanna see preview pics :P

Offline Stormy

Economy
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 09:32:29 PM »
Ummmm about Your post above my previous one....

What does MONEY have to do with OP2? Why don't you think it would be good to have a docking port for the evac as I described above?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Economy
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 01:21:37 AM »
Sirbomber: There is no clear currency in the game, however the do have 'credits' they use to purchase things (which is something that can be ascertained during research of the consumer goods factory)

Stormy: I envy your luck with tutorials *fumbles around with the Photoshop tutorials that people pointed him to before*
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

Economy
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »
What would having currency that we can manipulate and whatnot do for the colony... Increase food intake and stuff.... thereby increasing morale?

I'm learning Maya 7 with Maya tutorials  :rolleyes:

Tutorials rock! In my oppionion, they are just as good as any college class you take, but at your own pace. (thumbsup)  

Offline zigzagjoe

Economy
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 08:13:30 AM »
actually, in the novellas it used a ration system for currency. 'Rations Points' i think is wt they called them. They were traded like currency for goods and foods etc

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Economy
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
SO it's basically like the WW2 Ration stamps that were used.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Economy
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 04:39:28 PM »
Why would you want to complicate the game with this uneeded burden. Sounds like a case of scope creep that's getting out of control to me.

Besides, there's something funny about using money when you're in that small of a colony and the last of the human race. Why should you really be trading anything for food? And even if you are, how does that add to the game?

Offline zigzagjoe

Economy
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
yeah, i would have to agree hooman. food and wt not is small matter to these ppls on the macro scale; which is how we play the game. im not exactly looking forward to 'The Sims 2: In Space" <_<

Offline Stormy

Economy
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 10:35:26 PM »
I know, I don't like that Idea either, but think we should go with the 'colonist trading method' and evacs? Also, if a building is d/c ed from the main tube system, and you idle it with people inside, they go outside in space suits and walk to the nearest tube/building. I LOVE this idea... would make it fun... also.... People would get smashed by the occasional Cargo Truck gone mad xD  :rolleyes:  

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Economy
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005, 12:45:11 PM »
Tutorials rock! In my oppionion, they are just as good as any college class you take, but at your own pace.

Stormy, keep in mind that the tutorials that I have pointed you toward are good ones not to mention that various things that I have explained to you myself. I've seen a thousand and one tutorials and I'd say that most of the ones on the 'net are crap and end up leading you in a completely different direction than was originally intended.

================================================

That said, as far as ration points are concerend, that's something that could be added in a MOD of sorts for the game. Micromanagement on the level of 'The Sims' as ZZJ stated takes away from what a Real Time Strategy game is.

The list of colonists names as Levi had pointed out would also be awesome for a MOD to the game (to change it into something else) but otherwise it would become very bulky very fast and can cause numerous problems for people on slower machines (e.g., if you have 6 players all with a human population of let's say 500 you'd have 3000 colonists to keep track of: Their health, their RP, their current state (dead/alive), weather they're a scientest, worker, child, teacher, etc., their lifespan, their current age, hunger levels, etc. and that's not to mention the names of all of them). a list of 3000 colonists with ALL of those stats takes a LONG time to calculate considering the real-time nature of Outpost 3. It's truelly not feasible at this time for most home computers, especially if the global population reaches 10000 or more. Plus, it's not as simple as just running through the list of the colonists. Each player has his own population with various conditions in the colony (food production, morale, etc.). All of these things would need to be considered while determining the new state of each colonist per tick/count/turn/whatever.

Long story-short: Unless a MOD for OP3 is turn-based like OP1 or Civilization, individual stats for a population doesn't work.

Continuing on, I think that the Economy mode for OP3's Colony Games would be pretty neat but I believe whole-heartedly that unless a mission specifically centers around a commercial theme (colony or campaign alike), the user should have FULL control over wether or not an Economy is even looked at in-game. I personally would LOVE to have an economic center for my colony if I'm playing a long Colony Game (picture it, SimCity 5000) while at the same time having to deal with Morale, Disasters and Enemies.

I think this covers all that I was thinking about...

Offline Stormy

Economy
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 10:34:16 PM »
Tutorials rock! In my oppionion, they are just as good as any college class you take, but at your own pace.

Stormy, keep in mind that the tutorials that I have pointed you toward are good ones not to mention that various things that I have explained to you myself. I've seen a thousand and one tutorials and I'd say that most of the ones on the 'net are crap and end up leading you in a completely different direction than was originally intended.

Yea, the ones you showed me are really good, but I found an entire community of 3D Resources, along with a profesonally made tutorial (for maya, teaches the basics to 3D also :D, in terms that I would use :D), I found Blender tutorials, I even found a Blender wiki page. It's not just the tutorials you showed me, its ones that I searched for... Anyway... all these ideas are getting out of hand in my view, too many ideas in a topic and whatnot. They are GREAT ideas, but there is a higher chance that they will be excluded when it is time to put them into the game. We need a different system. (no need to discuss it here)

So, I still like the 'mad cargo truck' idea and having people run around the planet XD

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Economy
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2005, 01:45:18 AM »
Whoa you say Turn based.  This better be a 3D RTS.

Offline omagaalpha

Economy
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »
I Notice talk about colony in with people names but made instand of doing all people that only special people would track(kindly like hero in warcraft 3 :P)  

Obvously one people track of player so you own name.  You Could even have level up to get special abilitys.  
Oh he skills for operied each building so if have in that building he gain skill for mangane that building.
 Hehehe or that can also work special project only hero can do. Like Stormy statue :P.  More thinking that like upgrade to building(but for work be in building try improve in). Sure yous could all possiblity but one mind should enough of them so last  more anyone ever play in each each mission or campain of that fact.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Economy
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »
Omg I think heros is a bad Idea OP2 is a survival combat thing not a Fantasy world with magic and dancing fairies lol.  

I know your going to bring up Starcraft but the single player was a story line thing I am strictly thinking of multiplayer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:00:45 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Stormy

Economy
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »
:o Lol! a Stormy statue!!!! That would be funny! :lol:

stormy  :op2:  

Offline Leviathan

Economy
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »
I like heros in RTS games. Anyone play Dawn of War.  

Offline omagaalpha

Economy
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2005, 11:42:51 AM »
I have not. But it does add more randomed element in games add more fun.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Economy
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 12:54:19 PM »
The idea of heroes is a possibility and is something worth considering (for instance, a tiger thor's hammer being driven by a veteran combat technician would give it stronger armor, better aim and thus more deadly).

The game is definatly an RTS. I think you should read things a little bit more carefully, Freeza (you seem to make a lot of mistakes with the various posts I make. I wonder if it's me then?). Anyway, so yeah, it's definitly RTS.

Ooh... something I just thought of. Despite the fact that all of the units in OP2 are controlled through a Robot CC (well, technically they are supposed to be but chances are they're controlled through the CC), they have the ability to control them directly by being inside the unit. This would make the unit react faster and would make it more accurate (with appropriate training). So I wonder if it would be cool to produce units that are manned with the cost of first training available workers as combat pilots (not that they are flying but I think the message gets across) and then inserting them into a particular unit. That would make the unit more accurate and would probably increase its defense and whatnot... maybe even a little bit in terms of smart movement. Anyway, point being that if a unit is destroyed, chances are that the person inside is also destroyed. But I think it's also a possibility that people inside the wreckage of a vehicle could be rescued or picked up via an Evac Transport (or maybe a new vehicle, a Special Ops Personelle Rescue Vehicle (SOPRV for short))... that could make for some interesting combat tactics (as well we people management)!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Economy
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2005, 01:28:22 PM »
I don't like the idea of manned combat vecs. Its - again - a waste of human resources. Sending humans into combats isn't the best way to help the human race survive. It doesn't take long for any combat vec to get destroyed, also if they have some bonus because they're manned.

A better idea might be a better computer on board of combat vecs, that has to be researched and probably is slightly more expensive and takes more time to produce than the default computer.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Economy
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2005, 06:21:09 PM »
the only way is see a vet giving a Thors Hammer more armore is if he welded his medals on the hull lol.  For single player I can see a hero or VIP or main character in a vec.  But multiplayer is no place for a hero.  That would make it seem like it is a rip off of War Craft 3 and that isnt kousher lol.  A independant computer system in each vec could be a research topic that would allow the RCC or CC (whichever) to control more units.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Economy
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2005, 06:55:50 PM »
multiplayer is no place for a hero

Agreed. ANything considered a 'hero' would not be allowed in multiplayer games unless the players were involved in a Co-op game (Hmmm... Co-Op... sounds good!)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Economy
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »
Well a Multiplayer game should be alot like op2 where you can alli betray and do what ever.  Perhaps a Co-op base type deal 2 people can control one base or have a shared Hybrid CC and a Stucture fac for each player so one could be eden and the other plymouth.  Here is the catch to they have to work together in using resources like Power, Ore, Workers, and Scientists.

A Single player Co-op of the net would be interesting

perhaps even play both sides eden and plymouth at the same time.

Offline lordly_dragon

Economy
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2005, 07:21:43 PM »
if you want to try to get a feel how those thing work i think on starcraft there was such a mod called team-melee maybe it can get you an idea on how to do it or how can it be implanted to op3

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.