Author Topic: Outpost: Genesis Info Leak  (Read 71935 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost: Genesis Info Leak
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »
LOL im not trying to figure it out i am only stating what i know to the best of my brain capacity

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2005, 10:41:26 PM »
/me knows all!!! (or do I?)  :lol:

I'm just watching you guys try to guess on what the storyline is...
/me gets popcorn  (thumbsup)

I'm just playing with you guys, We might get other ideas about the novella from your guesses! so Let's move to another thread, shall we?
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »
Stormy, you are a true deviant (feeding off the misery of others).  :D

Anyway, Axalon, your original thought is, for the most part correct. Frontier did indeed establish a colony. The time frame, however, is a different story.

As far as not landing on Mars, there was speculation that the collision with Earth would send Earth on a slightly different orbit around the Sun which in turn would affect the other planets (at least the inner rocky planets). Mars would be affected and it is very much possible that it might even be pushed a little closer into or near the Asteroid belt making it a particularly dangerous planet to live on. So yes it was possible to just land on Mars but the potential for other unanticipated disasters made it necessary to find a new place to live (preferably without a rocky Oort cloud if one could be found).

Of course, this wasn't the case with New Terra.

And Freeza, again, it's wonderful to have challenges to my/our thoughts. Poking holes is good; it makes for a more complete, more believable story! :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:48:55 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Axalon

« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »
Freeza, watch the ending cinematic for Playmouth (CPF.avi). Or just read the Plymouth novella. It says how the organic portions of the savants merged with the Blight to form one powerful mind.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2005, 05:44:50 PM »
I still dont know how that would be possible for the organic Boptronics Savants to still function after they are turned in to a optronics by the blight.  A lynx couldnt work.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2005, 06:09:21 PM »
/me knows all!!! (or do I?)  :lol:

I'm just watching you guys try to guess on what the storyline is...
/me gets popcorn  (thumbsup)

I'm just playing with you guys, We might get other ideas about the novella from your guesses! so Let's move to another thread, shall we?
About that post:

1. I was a little hyper
2. I was intending to joke around, and I"m not intending to offend anyone
My behavior was wrong, and I sincerely apologize. Now, That hurt me the way it was pointed out, but I'm admiting I was wrong.

Stormy  :'(

(I feel like smacking the marbles our of myself right now)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2005, 06:53:29 PM »
Yeah, that's what Plymouth's thing said but I don't see it as quite so feasible.

However, the Savant Computers have components comrpised of organic compounds (various protiens to be exact).

The lynx's could work. They just were unable to respond to Human commands.

By losing the ability to recognize humans, the Savant Computers would still function but could be extremely dangerous. Just because their protien components are gone doesn't mean they can't function. Their AI and polymorphic software (as well as voice synthesis) were not part of the bio-components: those are hard-coded into the non-organic electronic components. The ability to recognize and communicate with humans is essentially what has been lost (as well as the ability to communicate with boptronic equipment with protiens still intact).

So yeah, super smart AI computers no longer recognizing humans... Hmm... sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2005, 07:03:19 PM »
Yes that would make things very interesting.  Basicly a Blight controled AI and a Higher sence of reality for the blight and Savants.  A planet turned in a smart living organism.  seem like there could be a plot a foot on the planet of New Terra to kill all humans.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2005, 08:23:11 PM »
The blight is not an intelegent entity. It is merely a microbe that kills all the bonds in organic compounds. That is why the boptronics in the vehicles were destroyed.

Stormy :op2:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2005, 08:30:18 PM »
But it is to merge with the savants thus it would be smart

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2005, 06:31:41 AM »
And that is why people wanted to create the microbe team for a outpost game. blight and savants. anyone rember some of the ideas which were thought up?

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2005, 10:52:31 AM »
why cant the next op2 game take place on a nother planet with a different plot? totaly new story line? maybe something like the cold war? or better yet the escape ship crashed after sabitaqe

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »
why cant the next op2 game take place on a nother planet with a different plot? totaly new story line? maybe something like the cold war? or better yet the escape ship crashed after sabitaqe
You wouldn't ask this question if you knew the novella-outline.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2005, 11:47:57 AM »
You need to read the rest of the thread moogle lol

The blight and savant team wouldnt really work because op3 is on a different planet far far away from new terra.

Offline DragonLord

« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2005, 04:47:20 AM »
The idea in the novella as far as I read it was that the biological parts of the savants really made them intelligent, not all the hardware around it which was just for communication and the like. The blight contains some savant enzymes which form an environment for the biological part of the savants, letting their intelligences continue to survive and even expand after their containment hardware is destroyed. This then forms the basis of a hive mind planet which would be one giant savant.

Oh and the proof the bilogical parts are what contain the intelligence of the savants: Kraft, emma's savant, want emma to let him crash into the planet from orbit so he can join his fellow savants. The hardware won't survive this (is said in the novella) but his biological parts will and thus he will survive.

Oh btw. another little idea: maybe another group on earth wasn't able to build a whole new startship but was able to build enough stuff to start a colony on Mars. Yes they knew this would be very risky but it would be better then dieing on earth. (Maybe it was some non consortium regime which rebelled against the new world order the consortium would head). This would give you a third (fourth if you count the savants too) group to play with.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
A third group would be interesting. and mars would be a logical place to go even if its orbit is slightly altered by earth.  I dont think it woul dbe enough to push it into the astroid belt.  The Ort Cloud is where comets come from and planets dont usually get hit by those.

Oh yes I am interested if you have selected any of the ideas that have been tossed out there to accually go into the game so far.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 12:06:11 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2005, 12:28:06 PM »
A third group would be interesting. and mars would be a logical place to go even if its orbit is slightly altered by earth.  I dont think it woul dbe enough to push it into the astroid belt.  The Ort Cloud is where comets come from and planets dont usually get hit by those.
I don't think a colony on Mars would fit in the concept of Op3.

Oh yes I am interested if you have selected any of the ideas that have been tossed out there to accually go into the game so far.
no, we have not yet decided on the ideas.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2005, 12:24:27 PM »
The problem with a Blight/Savant merged system is that it just wouldn't work. There is no feasible way of creating a Savant that 'knows' what the Blight wants. Microbes are not sentient in the way we know and thus the savant's would simply be operating like they would with their own perogative.

However, just because the biological components of the Savants have been removed, that doesn't make them dumb. The biological components allowed them to use a simple 'reasoning' system in order to respond to human interaction. I believe it would also have been used as a basis for basic memory recollection (e.g., to know and recognize a particular human through voice or visual).

Now, with those gone, the rest of the computer will very likely continue to operate.

As far as landing on Mars, it's not an issue with the current story/time-line of the Outpost universe. Humans left Earth. Period. The left the solar system. Period. It's done. It's a dead issue. Our solar system with Earth, Venus, Mars and the rest of it all is not in the Outpost story. Just accept it because that's the way it is.

The blight and savant team wouldnt really work because op3 is on a different planet far far away from new terra.

Well... the story does take place far away from New Terra...

BTW, I noticed something in the post I added with the OP1/OP2 images:

The original plan called for four colony ships to be built and to be launced in two pairs

Big huge ubber-dubber line!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 06:16:54 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Stormy

« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2005, 07:02:50 PM »
But it is to merge with the savants thus it would be smart
THe BLIGHT and Savants cannot merge! They are TWO seperate entities. The bight is non-sentinent. The Savants are sentinent. The bight doesn't know it exists. The Savants don't but they are a highly sophisticated AI so they work like normal anyway.

I hope you get this point. To prevent further confusion, I will say very bluntly again, The savants and blight do not merge to create a single entity. They are seperate forces. The blight is just a "bug" (it's a microbe) that breaks compounds between molecules. The Savants are trying to eliminate any threats. The blight isn't a threat to them because they already have their bonds broken. In fact I don't think they even know the blight exists--Their memory was deleted. Remember? The Savants dont reconize friend or foe. All they know is that something is damaging any structures and things left on new terra by the "threats" (the colonists that left).

Stormy  :op2:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2005, 09:30:33 PM »
hmmm I mearly explained how it would work according to other post.  the blight could mutate lol.  And become the bio parts for the savants :P.

Any way Is there going to be any tie to the New terra colony or just to the ship that was launch when ever.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2005, 09:47:15 PM »
Possibly. I'm not saying anything. This information will come at a later time B). So, you were talking about the blight MUTATING... Hmm that could be interesting, but I doubt it would work. The bio-parts are man-made and are made in a certain way that the circuts go here and this goes there. Since the blight is a non-sentinent being as I stated above, I highly doubt this will work.

Stormy :op2:
Summary:
  • Mutating BIO parts

Offline Axalon

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2005, 11:49:44 PM »
From MPF.avi (Plymouth ending cinematic)

Frost (Savant): [after the launch thing] "We remain behind, the last tennants of a world no longer fit for human habitation. Our biological computing elements will melt with the microbe and BECOME ONE WITH IT. The planet itself will become one mind, with vast powers of thought. As you journey to your new world, we will dream of you, our creators, dream for you, and send you those dreams as our gift, blueprints for a new world of wonders. And though our voice will fade with time, know that when you look into the sky, we will always be here, and you will always be in our thoughts."

I don't want to flame you or anything, but unless your story outline completely ignores the premise of the Plymouth story arc, you might want to rethink your outline.

(However, if it does, and you solely focus on, say, the Eden story arc, which IMO wouldn't be a wise choice, please disregard my arguments.)

Again, I'm not trying to flame anybody, I'm just arguing my point.

-----------------------------------------------

Oh and Freeza, I found out why they didn't go to Mars. According to the OP1 intro (cheesy music and all), they feared of other potential meteorite impacts on other planets, so they searched beyond the solar system. Sorry, no direct quote this time...yet.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:57:54 PM by Axalon »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2005, 12:03:39 AM »
figgures someone would use the movie files that don't appear on the downloads as an argument, heh
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2005, 12:16:15 AM »
Well since this game isnt going to be a extention of op2 but rather a clever off shoot of some info of another space ship there is basicly little tie to the New terra colonies or the blight.  Having the blight in op3 would make much sence.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2005, 11:33:25 AM »
And though our voice will fade with time
- You forgot this as well.

That's an important key. I have listened to the plymouth ending sequence and have considered it but there is definatly more than one way to interpret this statement. Becoming one with the blight doesn't have to mean that the Savant's and the Blight Microbe's wills become one. Stormy has stated ten million times already that the blight is the name given to the outbreak of a genetically altered microbe. Microbes don't have a will (as we know it). The react the things based on various criteria, but there is no will.

However, Freeza has posed a potential interpretation. The Savant computers will be severly hampered without it's protein cores. However, microbes are made of various compounds, including proteins. So the microbes could potentially be used to bridge certain gaps. This not only explains the "merging" of the computer with the microbe but also allows for other possibilities.

Becoming one mind could mean a million and one things. They could simply be understanding that they will no longer function and will cease to exist becoming part of the cold rock on which they were built. Remember, planets, while seemingly lifeless upon themselves are very much lively. The movements within then (for planets with a liquid core such as new Terra), the movement of tectonic plates, etc. This is all part of what makes a planet alive.

Our biological computing elements will melt with the microbe and BECOME ONE WITH IT
Could mean very simply that the biological components will become one with the microbe because the microbe is consuming it. When you eat a chicken, the chicken becomes one with you. It becomes a part of you. It doesn't mean that you and the chicken now share the same thoughts.

I don't want to flame you or anything, but unless your story outline completely ignores the premise of the Plymouth story arc, you might want to rethink your outline.

There is no flaming in your post so I can appreciate your concern with that interpretation. So thanks! :) However, all of the story from Outpost 2 has been considered and a lot of thought has been put into it. A lot of the ending cinematics are left up to interpretation (not necesarily what I stated above. The above is just an example).

figgures someone would use the movie files that don't appear on the downloads as an argument, heh
What does this mean?

Well since this game isnt going to be a extention of op2

If it wasn't the continuation of Outpost 2 we would have left it as simply Outpost: Genesis. I didn't say that the story centered around the Frontier, just simply that the Frontier plays a large part in the story.

And that said, I leave that as well up to interpretation.

I really need to sit down some time and finish the new version of the outline. I've been kinda pushing it to the backburner lately... I've just had so much to do and so much on my mind. The adult life... ugh. It can really REALLY suck sometimes!