Author Topic: Outpost: Genesis Info Leak  (Read 72032 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost: Genesis Info Leak
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2005, 12:44:11 AM »
ok then how about a max flow tube that is bigger for a research and the earth worker builds but cost more common and a little bit of rare :P

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2005, 01:17:36 AM »
That's actually not a bad idea... backbone tubes... kinda like in large LAN's...  :D You've got the various Ethernet connections which all connect to the backbone line (usually linking up various servers and other majoer bits of equipment).

Or, maybe a better analogy, the Artery Tubes... Hmm... maybe they could even keep that name. Makes sense, eh? Or maybe they could just be called arteries for short. Oh well. Either way, it's still a good idea. Should probably be expensive to build... likreally expensive to build but has signifigant boosts to various things (like research times maybe?). Should probably need to have a direct connection to the CC (e.g. Arteries can't connect from a CC to a Lab to and Advanced Lab. You'd need to instead create one artery from the CC to the Lab and then a second Artery from the CC to the Adv Lab.) There's got to be some limits on that sort of thing.

Hehe... picture it... a base with a CC in the center of it with all sorts of arteries spidering out with the normal tubes connecting the rest of the structures at the outskirts together. Heehee... I like it...  (thumbsup)  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2005, 06:10:10 AM »
I don't see why a connection from cc to a Lab would boost research. There are connections that make more sense, e.g. Spaceport to Adv.Lab for faster building of Starship-modules, or Std.Lab to Adv.Lab for faster research, or residence to recreation facility/forum to increase the moral boost.

And yea - these Artery tubes should be expensive.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2005, 12:25:32 PM »
That's the idea of a specialized tube. But it's still a raw idea.

Artery tubes would be much larger and much more expensive to build. I guess the idea would he the abilities for the labs or whatnot to have direct access to Sacants or whatnot. Although connecting vital structures to Labs/Adv Labs to boost production might work.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
I dont see how a bigger tube could help research time unless it carries caffine and pizza to the labs but that doesnt need a very big tube lol.  I could only see the bigger tubes for ore transport instead of cargo trucks and smaller tubes.  But here is another Idea for the Big tube.  What if they could also be used as tunnels to go through mountains.  That would make the Big tube being expensive even more worth it.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
the main resourses moving around the colony are food and ore yea?
the biger tubes would only be used for this stuff i think. and realy i dont think it would make any big difference.

And Stormy, yes, everything.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2005, 02:26:16 PM »
Ya a bigger tube between the nursery and university it would be a conveyorbelt the the children would ride on it to the uni to become great but quickly dieing scientists lol.  

A bigger tube that is hard to kill and no cargo trucks to worry about between the smelter and mine.  and the big tube would have the advantage of being faster then the cargo trucks and the normal tube.  more room so more material moved and it would be a constant stream of ore but it wouldnt be mass ore in like 1 sec.  Just think of it being a steady stream of ore that would equal a well placed smelter with 2 trucks one a normal or old yeild 3 bar only it would be on a high yeild 2 bar.  would also make a 1 bar worth having by making it a low yeild 2 bar.

5 resources for the colony Ore Power Workers Scientists Food

That brings up another idea buildings rely on the CC for automation I beleive.  So if there was no CC i think the number of workers/scientists for each building should go up.  So as long as they have power they can run at a half capacity/speed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:00:36 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2005, 04:45:44 PM »
If I remeber from the nolvalia's, some of the tubes were widened to make a public plazza, they were crowded with little shops and small sleeping querters and things like that

so mabe the bigger tubes would improve morale, and mabe have a little bit of residence capeability
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2005, 10:29:55 PM »
I like that idea a lot. Adding a bit of commerce to the game. That would also make the trade missions more useful (they were semi-useful in OP1 but was never explored further in OP2).

Larger tubes for market places... One could add a whole new element to the game: economy.... Of course, that could make things particularly difficult so it could be turned off for certain missions or on easy difficultly levels or multiplayer games but could expand Colony Games.... Damn, these are all really good thoughts... :D

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2005, 01:26:18 AM »
Seems like Big tubes are good for just about every thing

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2005, 01:37:16 AM »
Ok so basically

> Big tubes used for Ore instead of cargo trucks (I don't particulary like this idea, It just doesn't seem right.... It's too easy...)
   > Tubes with recreation centers, shops, economic stuff, (I LOVE that idea... :D Whole new element!

And how about this: the Genesis STOCK MARKET!  :heh:  (OH NO THE DEPRESSION!)
   > Artery tubes (Awesome idea, :)
   > How about Nuclear power xD
   > Oh, and how about this: if the colonists are on a planet that is survivable, (if the user's gfx card is good enough,)  we could have little low poly colonists walking around on the surface...
              --- There would be a way to turn it off, and disable it in Multi

> RCC has vehicle limit, and the more people that are 'employed' there, the more vechs you can control
   >Here are MANY more ideas I came up with back in the day, when it wasn't time to think about them:

Types of Colony games:
      Rescue
      The player has to build the rescue convoy and rescue the colonists

Population
         Speaks for itself, same colonist # levels as Terraformation

Terraformation

Research to terraform the planet, and grow your colony to
   -200 colonists for easy -- Reduced spontaniousness for disasters and deaths,

-400 colonists for medium -- Plain ol' regular gameplay

-600 colonists for Hard with enhanced diasaster dmgs and spontaniousness

Types of Multiplayer Games
         Land Rush
            Same as OP2 land rush,
         LOS
            Same as Op2 LOS,
         Rush
            Starts out as a LOS, but with a trade center, and adv/std labs already built, so its a faster game.

Arena
Starts out as LOS, but the map has 'arenas' that the players must fight in..

Survival?

Some form of a longer game, but how would we make it 'longer' so that people can't 'rush' in this mode? Ppl quote this part and help :P This will help make the game more enjoyable for all (Thinking of you Leeor) . Maybe have a 'field' that is created so that the players can't leave their bases until time X arrives.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:45:59 AM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2005, 01:46:42 AM »
Remember stormy the big tube cost alot to make call it a investment to the future plus for the ore idea its would be just as fast as using cargo trucks based on the distance between smelter and mine.  but instead of having it come in one big chunk it would come in a steady stream but would equal to having it in a chunk

Offline Stormy

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2005, 01:52:14 AM »
The ore tube could be used to move ore from the smelter to the factory faster. I like the cargo trucks, so it would go like: Mine, carried by truck to smelter, then goes through 'super tube' and ends up at factory faster, therefore speeding up build time.

Big tubes should only be used in Multiplayer. Single player isn't long enough to really have the time to build those. Remember, Those tubes won't be finished until a bit later in the game, It takes a LONG time to come up with the ore to build it, and so they would use Trucks until they get that.

If the distance is more than X (game units), then you cannot use the tubes, you must use trucks, Although we might be able to make a 'facility' that can help pump it that distance, it takes lots of pressure to move the ore, the longer the distance, the more pressure it takes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 02:00:54 AM by Stormy »

Offline TH300

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2005, 09:26:14 AM »
Moving metals between structures is much less of an effort than some people think. You don't pump it through the tubes like water, do you? It would be transported with some sort of conveyor belt. And a conveyor belt wouldn't need much place, and to make it transport more of whatever you can just speed it up.

A connection to a cc wouldn't be of use, because all what a cc normally does is control what every structure or vehicle in the colony does. Even if you assume that more processing power (provided by computers in the cc's) can speed up certain processes you forget that a computer can operate everywhere, get taskes from everywhere and send the result to everywhere. All thats needed is a fast data-connection. No need to bring a Savant to a Lab etc.

A good idea instead might be public transportation in the bigger tubes, so that workers/scientists can reach the place where they work faster.

Offline Mez

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2005, 09:28:55 AM »
perhaps the bigger tubes can be destroyed,

i.e. you "expand" a small tube to become a large one, to increase resource flow, or morale.

However the "expansion" of the tube, could be liable to damage from weapons or disasters.

So once the expanison has been damage then it reverts back to a smaller tube.

What do you think?

Big tubes could also be impassible by vech. as how is a vech going to get over a big cylinder sticking out of the ground?  (of course they can get over the submerged smaller tubes)

nulear power is good, could a nuclear power plant explosion (from damage) destroy the area around it (including say low/ med armour buildings) you got the emp blast as well.
but how about making the area around the exploded nuc reactor uninhabiable,  so you cant build on it for say 50 mark.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2005, 03:06:23 PM »
Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Tokamaks already nuclear power plants? (fusion)

Edit: and for that matter, don't most vehicles supposedly have some sort of small nuclear reactor that powers them?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 03:07:03 PM by Hooman »

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2005, 03:51:30 PM »
yes, and yes. read over the novella and the tech teasers; you'll get a lot of specifics. also the help file is a good source for info.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2005, 05:25:35 PM »
good stuff

yea u dont need pressure to move metals. convayerbelt or vecs or trains going down the tube or wutevea.

houses in tubes - no imo, and same with shops etc. i think there would be enough space at colony buildings for this stuff where it should be.

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
i belive it said it was stored in a 'slurry' form and sent down tubes .

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »
Stuff from the mine to the smelter is sent in the same form as the trucks just uses a cargo truck and you would use a caonveyorbelt but you have to remember a conveyorbelt can have stuff all the way to the edge of the belt so you would need a wider belt or some kind of car system but a car system would need a return track so a car can be emptied at one end and filled at the other. If the big tube is impassible it could double as a wall.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2005, 07:02:06 PM »
Lol nice idea for sure but would you realy have major colony tubeing which is vital to the colony at the edge of the colonys base?

but yea if they are impassable they are a wall to units, but they can be attacked. a % of it would still be left in the ground. only the lower part would be destroyed by the unit. well unless it was something like a starflare.

what i would like to c in this game is more types of uinits, like a small unit would take ages to destroy one of these impassable tubes but the vec 1 step up from it would be able to destroy the faster. well that depends on the weapon anyway.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
Ok so basically

Lynx are light weapons... fast but weaker than the panthers and Tigers.

Panthers are the all-around ones, they are medium strong and kinda slow

Offline TH300

« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2005, 08:08:39 AM »
Ok so basically

Lynx are light weapons... fast but weaker than the panthers and Tigers.

Panthers are the all-around ones, they are medium strong and kinda slow
You can't just say weapons on lynxes are weaker. The weapon is the same and I guess the genrator that powers it is also the same. Tigers are of course stronger, because they have a dual-turret and GPs are stronger, because they have connection to a cc, but besides why would a panther-laser be stronger than a lynx-laser?
And we also don't want to give heavy units too much of an advantage since they already have better armor.

I'm not totally against other unit types though. Smaller units than lynxes which are probably even faster, but also weaker are a reasonable idea. Maybe as an enhencement of the scorpions. They'd finally be of use then.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »
Hey, I'm going to delete my post that you quoted... Its a pointless one :P, and yes you are right :D

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2005, 12:53:59 PM »
> How about Nuclear power xD

Tokomak's are nuclear in nature. Fusion to be exact. And they are devices that exist today. However, we don't use them for power because it takes more energy to contain the fusion reactor than it puts out. Not exactly the most efficient power plant, huh?

Anyway, it's being worked on in real life.

Artery's are certainly something to think about but I wonder what their true use in the game would be. I certainly like the idea of a basic economy (nothing nearly as complex as a stock market but it could boost morale to some degree provided the luxury goods are produced in the consumer's factory), however, it may add way too much to the game. That's why it really would only be good in colony games or in missions surrounding the an econmy.

I like the idea that Artery's can be taken out with various weapons. Adds to the potential disaster. Of course, if one of those things blows out from weapons fire if it's in economy mode than you're also going to lose some population.

I like the idea fo the Arteries being able to be constructed out of original tubes. It reminds me of something... but I can't remember what it is. It does, however, make it more difficult to build them as well as costly and time consuming requiring that the player truelly consider where to place them and how to use them.