Author Topic: First Colony Game!  (Read 18766 times)

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« on: August 23, 2005, 06:03:18 PM »
the first colony game that I think we should make  :)

picture this, 100 or more Lynxs and Panthers moving in for the kill on a enemy fortress heavily defended by Stickyfoam, RPG and EMP turrets and units ready as a last defense to protect a spaceship ready to escape the dreaded Blight. your goal in this {coming soon colony game} is to capture the spaceship, crush the enemy base and then flee to the stars leaving a doomed planet behind all before the Blight reaches you  B)  

I am starting to make the map for this and if anyone would like to take the map when it is done and add the coding needed that would be most helpful {I am still learning how to code  :P } but if not I will just struggle through making this  ;)

spirit
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:57:03 AM by spirit1flyer »
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
First Colony Game!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:25:40 AM »
This one wouldn't be too bad to code, since it's just defensive AI. However, a couple points:

- Destroying the spaceship. If it's in a spaceport, the only way I can think of to destroy it is to destroy the spaceport that it's sitting in.
If you wanted, you could also have a 'capture' scenario, for example a plot like "Plymouth has stolen your RLV. Your mission is to penetrate the heavily fortified Plymouth base and get it back." The game does have provisions for capturing an RLV, I haven't really looked into it much, but one of the last Plymouth missions you have to capture an RLV, so we can look at that to see what has to be done.

- Well, I'm assuming Plymouth would be defensive only, or would you want them to have units roving around the map?

So basically this one would be an easy one to code. If you wanted to have plymouth "patrols" it'd be a little more work, but not too bad.. if you start both players with mostly built up bases, you don't need to worry too much about researching with the AI player (so it doesn't appear to be cheating)

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »
This one wouldn't be too bad to code, since it's just defensive AI. However, a couple points:

- Destroying the spaceship. If it's in a spaceport, the only way I can think of to destroy it is to destroy the spaceport that it's sitting in.
If you wanted, you could also have a 'capture' scenario, for example a plot like "Plymouth has stolen your RLV. Your mission is to penetrate the heavily fortified Plymouth base and get it back." The game does have provisions for capturing an RLV, I haven't really looked into it much, but one of the last Plymouth missions you have to capture an RLV, so we can look at that to see what has to be done.

- Well, I'm assuming Plymouth would be defensive only, or would you want them to have units roving around the map?

So basically this one would be an easy one to code. If you wanted to have plymouth "patrols" it'd be a little more work, but not too bad.. if you start both players with mostly built up bases, you don't need to worry too much about researching with the AI player (so it doesn't appear to be cheating)

I meant destroying the spaceport and the spaceship on it. But capturing it sounds a lot cooler. I would not know about the last mission I am still on mission 10  :P  
as for adding in patrols I think its a must. I have played too many games were all you have to do is destroy a base and you can just easily whittle them down and not give a care as to your own base. as for built up bases yea I suppose we could do that. But since I can't do any coding at this level yet some of these things would be up to the coder

Hacker is it possible to make it so Eden can't  research one spaceship part but Plymouth has that part. So Eden would have to capture it?
and I think I would like to make it so Eden can't have Acid or Thors. can we do that?

spirit
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:02:30 AM by spirit1flyer »

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
First Colony Game!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
Yeah, you can create your own custom tech tree files to use, this would specify those things.

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:32:18 AM »
Yeah, you can create your own custom tech tree files to use, this would specify those things.

okay thanks  

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
First Colony Game!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 10:17:15 AM »
lol, you want to take out Acid and Thors? what is Eden supposed to attack with then? Railgun or Lasers :rofl:?

Better make the AI use missiles for defense

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 11:05:30 AM »
lol, you want to take out Acid and Thors? what is Eden supposed to attack with then? Railgun or Lasers :rofl:?

well it is supposed to be a hard mission so No acid's or Thors for you  :P

Better make the AI use missiles for defense

I don't know if that can be done after all we would be capturing the RLV but if you could do that it would be bad for the player  B)

spirti

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline gamerscd0

First Colony Game!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 01:56:01 PM »
wow this is interesting  (thumbsup) i was the one that asked for another colony game here :find:

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...wtopic=1220&hl=

its a very good idea spitfire do you need any help? :op2:

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »
wow this is interesting  i was the one that asked for another colony game here 

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...wtopic=1220&hl=

its a very good idea spitfire do you need any help?

sure anyone can help I am just the one that is getting it going  :D and working on it myself too  :P  

do you know how to do the coding? I have added you to the team  ;)

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
First Colony Game!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 05:20:39 PM »
wow this is interesting  (thumbsup) i was the one that asked for another colony game here :find:
You want to take the credit for something dozens of people asking for / thinking about ?  :lol:

BTW: good thing we finally get something going now > after all, we first need a map, b4 coding can actually start
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 05:21:54 PM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 05:27:58 PM »

BTW: good thing we finally get something going now > after all, we first need a map, b4 coding can actually start

The map is done as soon as someone will do the coding  <_<  we will have the first colony game ready for betta testing  :)

Spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 06:43:27 PM »
well since nobody it taking the job yet for coding I will start coding it as soon as I get the software  ;)  but if someone comes along who knows what they are doing when they are doing coding. And want to do it I will gladly let them take over.

and just so someone does not tell me that there is one that you can download here  <_<    I don't use hacked programs I am using the OP2 that you can download here but thats just to play online and I do own the store bought version

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline gamerscd0

First Colony Game!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 07:08:58 PM »
ill help if you need it i now some about coding

:op2:  

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
ill help if you need it i now some about coding

do you know enough that you could code a mission? if so you can take over from me but if not maybe you could code the tech tree

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline gamerscd0

First Colony Game!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
i dont know a lot about coding but i would like to help

Offline Leviathan

First Colony Game!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 08:25:17 AM »
Moogle is working on a new colony game btw. Its in alpha stage.

I hope more people learn to code for OP2 so more colony games can be made. I hope you guys are willing to learn, its great fun!

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 03:30:03 PM »
I hope more people learn to code for OP2 so more colony games can be made. I hope you guys are willing to learn, its great fun!

I plan on it and as soon as I get the software I will start  ;)

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
First Colony Game!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 05:19:26 PM »
What are you waiting for? Just download the software from our site and you'll be all set up to go.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
First Colony Game!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »

and just so someone does not tell me that there is one that you can download here  <_<    I don't use hacked programs I am using the OP2 that you can download here but thats just to play online and I do own the store bought version

spirit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
First Colony Game!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 06:45:37 PM »
Ahh, ok.

That reminds me: I should put together a package with the freeware Toolkit or whatever MS is calling it (its the VC++.NET compilers for free, it doesn't produce .NET CLR dependent code so it'd be fine for missions). Just couple it with an IDE and there you have it, a fully functional editor for free.

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »
That reminds me: I should put together a package with the freeware Toolkit or whatever MS is calling it (its the VC++.NET compilers for free, it doesn't produce .NET CLR dependent code so it'd be fine for missions). Just couple it with an IDE and there you have it, a fully functional editor for free.

let me know once you do that I will be the first to download it  :P  

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline gamerscd0

First Colony Game!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 07:41:42 AM »
hay keep it up spitfire i cant whait to see this next colony game (thumbsup)  

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 09:09:18 AM »
nothing is going but map making right now. As soon as someone is willing to take the maps and add coding I will be happy to pass on the three maps I have made  ;)

But until then we wait till I get a coding program that will work  <_<

spirit1flyer

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

First Colony Game!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 09:13:51 AM »
Why not use notepad while your waiting for that?

Were happy to help you get started.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 09:15:47 AM by Leviathan »

Offline spirit1flyer

First Colony Game!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »
I did not know you could use Notepad  :blink:
 thanks Lev  :)  

Loyal Xfir supporter