Author Topic: The Wiki  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
As you will of read in the newsletter we have added a wiki to the website!

A wiki is a user created and edited web site, so any user can add content to it to improve it, or edit someone elses work to improve it. To get an account PM me with the password you would like for your account.

Please read the help so you understand it more and know how to make pages.

It can be found here - www.wiki.outpostuniverse.net

Categories are, Outpost 1, Outpost 2, Coding, The Outpost 2 Manual.

We hope everyone will help out to create a very big database of Outpost knowledge.

If you would like to request a article/guide etc please reply in this thread and we can get them started.

Currently we know people want things like guides on how to code maps, make maps etc. So theres a good place to start.

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »
Come on guys, list some topics you want info on, guides, how-to's etc!

Also id like some help puting the current site content onto the wiki.

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 12:51:40 PM »
Can people finish off the manual please, put the pics in the right place on the pages i havent done and add all the rest of the pages in the op2 manual, like the toutruals. Ive uploaded the pics i havent added, so they just need adding.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
The Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 02:35:37 PM »
Please add the these 2 to the left navigation frame:
List of categories in the Wiki
List of all articles in the Wiki

thanx
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
The Wiki
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 02:51:30 PM »
Heres an idea for one:

An article with teh definitions of all the things in the sheets file..
like cost...etc..

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Sl0vi

The Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 05:56:42 AM »
ehm.. how about a "The complete n00bs guide to OP2 modding"

It would be nice if some one would write a guide, that simply explains, what you need to mod OP2, how to set everything up for OP2 modding, and maybe some basics in OP2 modding.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 06:57:24 AM »
Yea Sl0vi thats kinda one of the idea's of the wiki ;)

We just need to break down it into area's because there a lot which can be 'moded'.

But i do think ill add a modding page where what can be done is explaned and then linked to the guides for each part. :)

But Sl0vi (and everyone else) im sure you can help else where, the wiki is for all OP2 knowledge. Post some tips, guides or genral info about OP2. A new player who has never played the game before needs to be able to have enough info to learn what the hell everything is, (rember when you first played OP2, your people would die etc.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:30:54 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Wiki
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 06:05:13 PM »
I sure hope this thing will get backed up properly and frequently. Seems like an awful lot of work will find it's way into it. It'd be a real shame if it ever got lost.

Offline zigzagjoe

The Wiki
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
It is backed up freqently. Its backed up every 4 hrs if i remeber right.

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 05:15:57 PM »
Thanks to Sl0vi for being the first member to actualy help doing stuff which ANYONE can do.

Offline Sl0vi

The Wiki
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 08:38:51 PM »
lol np :)

Just trying to be a bit helpful. I tried to place the pic's as right as I could figure out :P
It would be nice if someone could add the final touch, by helping me with that. Well, atleast they are there now :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 08:39:13 PM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Tellaris

The Wiki
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 03:24:45 AM »
Maybe ANYONE CAN DO IT, but I haven't quite figured out how yet...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 04:09:50 AM »
Baikon click the help link on the home page!

Offline lordly_dragon

The Wiki
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 07:01:19 PM »
i posted mission 1 complete ''hint'' and for renegade aded music beta to it

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Eddy-B

The Wiki
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 08:56:44 PM »
Not sure this is the correct thread to add this.. {if not please move the post to a more suitable location}

Coding FAQ on the wiki:
http://www.wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Category:Coding_FAQ
--------------------

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The Wiki
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 02:44:00 AM »
I would like to remind everybody that OUTPOST 2 is not the only game in the series. OUTPOST is the game that started it all and, after all, this community is called the "Outpost Universe", not the "Outpost 2 Universe".

Not to mention, while Outpost2 is an absolutely awesome game, OUTPOST can be enjoyable as well and there are definatly those (including myself) who liked the original version of OUTPOST enough to want to play OUTPOST: Missing In Action (heh, I've got to like it if I'm reprogramming the damn thing!)

Just a friendly note.

Offline Eddy-B

The Wiki
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 09:35:36 AM »
I would like to remind everybody that OUTPOST 2 is not the only game in the series. OUTPOST is the game that started it all and, after all, this community is called the "Outpost Universe", not the "Outpost 2 Universe".

Not to mention, while Outpost2 is an absolutely awesome game, OUTPOST can be enjoyable as well and there are definatly those (including myself) who liked the original version of OUTPOST enough to want to play OUTPOST: Missing In Action (heh, I've got to like it if I'm reprogramming the damn thing!)

Just a friendly note.
Yes .. but i wouldn't know since i never played Outpost (1).. The version that i downloaded once (from this site) doesn't work. So it would be a good idea to have a working version up for download. I know, i know, this is illegal and stuff, but i don't think i can even begin to find this game in a shop anywhere on this planet...
--------------------

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The Wiki
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it can be found on eBay. I've been directed there a thousand times when I was asking for a single BMP file when I was in Isreal first starting the OP:MIA Project (mez... ...)

Anyway, I'm hoping that the OP:MIA project will get people interested in playing OUTPOST. That was the whole intent.

BTW, My DEV computer is being turned back on today! I finally got an optical drive! :D YAY!!!  (thumbsup)  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
The Wiki
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 05:02:03 PM »
Well, I finally did Eddy-B's change and changed the links on the left to say Categories and All pages. (In place of Current events and Random page).

Also the yellow tables used in the betatesters lists in Projects pages, the parameters that go after the {| tag are now a template so you can write:

{| {{YellowListTable}}

to get the table.

And we still need some people to do the internal info pages! (and finish up SDK pages). We need more overall wiki contribution.

Also another thing I'd like to draw attention to: misspellings. in my opinion, this makes us look like crap. We need to find every one of the misspellings and fix them.

Also some pages could be categorized, there's a lot of pages you can't easily access because they don't have categories...

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 10:42:55 AM »
Anyone with a project should start a project page and if you want a page protected just ask.

I think we should have a source page where source code of projects can be downloaded. We need to offer more source so its easyer for new people to get into doing there own projects.

Offline Eddy-B

The Wiki
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 12:26:22 PM »
so true!

but for ME to make Renegades open-source, would mean hours, no, DAYS or even WEEKS :P of polishing up my code... :lol:

I'll think about it, I can however, release more test-projects, and example-ai codes
i AM going to release my repair-Ai, not only so others can use it, but even more so guys like Hooman can point me out some OBVIOUS mistakes i have made (i'm sure i have!) .. i know, iknow,,, my code is sloppy sometimes (or was that "all the time" i forgot) :P
--------------------

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Wiki
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »
I'll be looking forward to pointing out your mistakes. :P

I'll contribute one of these days. Not sure what at the moment, I've kinda been taking a vacation from working on anything lately.

Offline Mez

The Wiki
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 03:43:59 PM »
Perhaps, Eddy just release your code as is, either on a secure website, so ony authed users can read it (e.g. someone within the comunity can read it if they email and ask for access) or post it publically.

You then just have to ask for any bugs found to be emailed to a new address e.g. publicbugs@renegades.com (you get the idea)

Eddy can then choose to respond to the emails he wants. i.e. look at the emails from legitimate experienced coders and not from inexperienced ones.

Then new programmers can look at how you have done your code. As a resource maybe and could (if you granted permissions) copy and paste the code into their own projects.

This code is all released on a "No support given basis" meaning that you can cop out of replying to other peoples problems if you wanted to.

This would just mean a copy and paste of the contents of all your files, without need to add the comments.

This would also allow someone else to add the comments if they so wished and repost the commented code (via an email to Eddy).

Obviously the problems would ly with the code being constantly updated but not posted on the internet.

Perhaps only release the code once it is past beta?

Offline Eddy-B

The Wiki
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 02:20:44 AM »
woww! nice long story, mez..  it might be a good idea to start out like that, for example on the protected dev. forum here. but i still need to work out a couple little bugs in it..

hacker: i'm counting on you :P
--------------------

Offline Leviathan

The Wiki
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 06:44:30 AM »
Can anyone help with the wiki please?

Anyone have any suggestions for the wiki currently?

Anyone got project code to put up on the wiki?

Anyone got any article requests for the wiki?