Author Topic: Clans  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Tellaris

Clans
« on: June 19, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »
Eventually Clans are going to enter Outpost 2 as the community continues to grow.   This is inevitable, it happens to every game.   Two things come to mind.

1. Newbies!

2. Clan Combat

For the newbies...
I've seen this in another game, where we would have specifically a clan (or group) that exists for the purpose of training newbies before they joined other clans.   Newbies continued to train, but the idea was to create a newbie friendly clan (there aren't many of these) with other newbies and people looking to explicitly train these newbies.   What I'm thinking is perhaps we could do something like that at some point (could even do it now, but wouldn't have many people to train, except for maybe Hooman, and a few others)

Clan Combat: This is self evident, we have a clan ladder, just like the player ladder.   Clan leaders would tell the ladder manager person which clan won (and possibly who was in the battle)   This may or may not be independent of the standard player ladder. (Ex. Should clan victories also be counted as individual player victories?)   It would probobly need to be confirmed, same way we do WD would work...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

Clans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 02:45:54 PM »
Yea we could do a clan ladder, a 2v2 team ladder type thing. And victorys in a clan game wouldnt count to normal 1v1 ladder.

I allways liked the idea of clans for games.

Genraly with the comunity people help each other out to get better, i dont think a newbie helping clan would evea happen. The idea of #outpost2.noob is so people can help out newbies and newbies can play together.

One thing which im sure wouldnt/shouldnt happen would be nick taging on irc. People can just tag up in game.

Offline Tellaris

Clans
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:51:12 PM »
You bet LOTS of people will tag in IRC
Why?   People LOVE to display their tags everywhere if its related to that game.   So, even lobby will see its fair amount of tags.   I'd personally expect it (unless you outright ban it.)
Click Here For Coolness

Offline §Panther

Clans
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 02:57:20 PM »
I've got my tag! =P

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Clans
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 04:55:27 PM »
One thing which im sure wouldnt/shouldnt happen would be nick taging on irc.
Gee, does that mean we should drop the OPU| tag?  :P

...but wouldn't have many people to train, except for maybe Hooman, and a few others
Great, so you're calling me a newbie now?  :(
Or should I be pointing out that I've won at least 75% of the games we've played against each other.  :whistle:

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Clans
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:56:22 AM »
He did say Hooman and a few others... maybe he was looking at himself aswell ? :P
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Clans
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 05:52:33 AM »
clans wouldn't be wrong in our growing community.
People who get along fine with each other can form a clan and mark off from other clans which they don't like.
Maybe we could even have wars between clans etc.

Imagine, what could happen...

I support clans, really. I would probably become member of one. But we have to take care that it doesn't get out of hand, because clans can harm the Outpost Universe as well as help it.

Offline Leviathan

Clans
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:04:53 AM »
Yeah clan wars are great fun. Great team games!

Well bringing in clans wouldnt make a devide i dont think TH, just more friendly sportsmanship gaming. I dont expect any one to start being stupid to one another, its not happened so far.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Clans
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm your first noob... It's been so many years since I've played and it's not fun when I try to play now and I'm railed by 10000 units after the first 5 minuts of play.  :heh:  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Clans
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 01:56:15 PM »
I'd like to have clans back again, I find them a nice part of the 'history' of the game (lol).  The only thing I think would be neccessary is for all the best players to be in seperate clans, otherwise it's too unbalanced and the risk of people leaving the game could increase.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Tellaris

Clans
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 01:56:32 AM »
Having clans around dosn't necesarily push people away.   There are always those that choose to stay out of clans, I call em independants...
Sometimes they'll play in clan games, especially if one team is short.   But they're just around to play the game.
If you ask me, the only thing thats going to kill this game is this constant always rush to win crap, but thats for a different topic...
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Leviathan

Clans
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 04:05:20 AM »
People not being newbie friendly is a bad thing, may make the newbie leave, so give em a chanch to learn :)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Clans
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 01:19:12 PM »
yea people like *cough*paco*cough* and *cough*lev*cough*

If they are brand new to the game, you can notify me and They'll get some very basic m-player training.  However, I do not do pie!  I have all pies except 3.14...
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Tellaris

Clans
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »
I do training if people want me to...   My specialty is morale and disasters, not rushing, though I can easily teach the basics of rushing...
Click Here For Coolness

Offline lordly_dragon

Clans
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 08:59:56 PM »
keeping moral and disaster is basicly a self training and solo can help alot

one problem i will have is the 10 speed and the lack of multiplayer minding for this game

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Clans
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 01:39:08 PM »
Hmm clans sounds good and yes its is impossible to stop the formation of them.  I dont see any reason OPU tag would have to be dropped.  Just means the these people are here to help in any way they can.  If some one dont want to play PIE they dont have to.  As for training of a noob I personally say just play and listen to the tips of others no need to be all instructive about it.

Offline zhukant

Clans
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 03:08:24 PM »
You could have OPU be a clan, and all the OPU| people would be in it, but they would also be required to be in other different clans, which would be balanced, and if a clan decides that they are good enough, then they can challenge the OPU| clan. However, there is that problem of an OPU| clan member being also on the clan that challenged the OPU| clan. Anyways, that's just another of my random ideas. Just don't start yelling at me about how it won't work, please. :)
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Clans
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »
In my opinion, I don't think the community is large enough to have clans yet. Too often its all "clan vs clan" but people won't get together and play games, regardless of clan.

If we had more people you could get away with it.

Offline zhukant

Clans
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 05:21:53 PM »
Actually you have a very good point, hacker. That is exaclty what I was thinking all along, but I decided to go with the flow. :P I'm afraid that we might never gain enough interest to have clans. It's just that the game will not be able to climb back up interest-wise much further that it already has, probably. And having clans is such a hassle, too. You have to come up with names, make web pages, etc., etc. Anyways, we'll see what happens.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline lordly_dragon

Clans
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 07:03:36 PM »
you would be surprised.... i think we must recrute a lot to atract people toward it

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Clans
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:44:40 PM »
mew in my opinion running a clan or being part of one has always been too much of a nuisance so i always have avoided them in games

(hence my "op2 loner" sig i used to have)

but thats just me
um oh also, i wanna say that clans aren't a new thing - there've been a lot and are still a few of them
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline <emp>(elementals)Eric

Clans
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 10:33:18 AM »
Clan's are good, I joined clans back on won more for political reasons at times. (Elementals) got me to join within the first ten minutes. After a while, DO and TA came about and I joined <SWF> and <SKULL> just because i didn't like their influence level. <EMP> was the last clan i joined. Really other than my first clan, I was into the politics, that is how im hoping to have all new clans. I mean, Outpost is all politics and joining against a common enemy... Right?
I live in my own little world where don't push me or i'll shove you is the only rule!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Clans
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »
...not that I've heard of...

politic

adj 1: marked by artful prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; "it is neither polite nor politic to get into other people's quarrels"; "a politic decision"; "a politic manager"; "a politic old scoundrel"; "a shrewd and politic reply" [ant: impolitic] 2: smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication; "he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the hostess averted a confrontation between two guests with a diplomatic change of subject"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"; "affable, suave, moderate men...smugly convinced of their respectability"

lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline lordly_dragon

Clans
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »
the big clan problem from my experience is inactivity at beginning its cool its hot but after 1 month huh no activity everyone play on his side no tournament no clan match no inner match etc etc.....

and clan war clan ally this is just bulls*** you know wow i killed sum1 that was on the black list of the clan... wow  (thumbsdown)

so insteed of clan i would rater make a team league like the world domination this was an awsome idea  (thumbsup)  

Offline Admiral S3

Clans
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 08:53:25 PM »
You could have OPU be a clan, and all the OPU| people would be in it, but they would also be required to be in other different clans, which would be balanced, and if a clan decides that they are good enough, then they can challenge the OPU| clan. However, there is that problem of an OPU| clan member being also on the clan that challenged the OPU| clan. Anyways, that's just another of my random ideas. Just don't start yelling at me about how it won't work, please. :)
Actually I would avoid doing that. While it would be fine for OPU to state that newbies are reccomended to join clan XYZ shortly after coming to OPU for early training and help, that clan, clan leaders, clans council, ect.... may on occasion wish to strike in ways the OPU may not approve of.

Perhaps the choosen clan leader is highly unhappy with another clan in its entirety. Perhaps this other clan specifically goes out of its way to Bang on newbs for no appearent reason.

Thus as a result thr clan leader of XYZ, that OPU promotes may be openly agitated around certain members of that other clan. As OPU is here to promote the use of the game as a whole, it would really not be wise for its staff members to be actively participating in clan politics.

Likewise, any clan specifically formed for the purpose of assisting newbies, should more or less be either....

1. Free to produce and cultivate thier own training staff.
or
2. Rigidly tied to OPU the site, and thus controlled expressly with the site admins as the leaders. Not to mention a whole crap load of policies that even they must abide by.
Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

At long last the Admiral has returned.