Author Topic: Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.7  (Read 292 times)

Offline Vagabond

Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.7
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
I was wanting to work some minor improvements on Outpost 2 for inclusion in the next release. Not sure how far past the anniversary of Outpost 2 a release can be made and still call it an anniversary release. :) I'm also not really sure how far along other projects are for inclusion in 1.3.7.

I'd like to keep game balance changes outside the realm of this thread. While I'm not necessarily against some balancing changes, they tend to take over the discussion and bury the rest of the administrative work that I am interested in.

COMPLETED
  • Replace the in game tile sets (Well00XX.bmp) with non-Outpost 2 specific BMP files. (The game can load either format, so this will make it easier for people to open and modify the wells in a generic graphics editor easier. It would also make it easier to use the OP2MapImager with the stock game download.)
  • Replace dtek_e.txt with a modified version that allows the Pre-Release Eden demo to be beaten. See http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5795.msg82861.html#msg82861.
  • Remove Punwick Junction's scenario DLL. The associated map file isn't included in the official download.
  • Reorder the change log show the most current release at the top and the oldest release at the bottom (so you see the newest stuff when you first start reading.)

OUTSTANDING
  • Remove the outdated 1.34 version string from the in game options screen. The correct version seems to now be listed on the About Outpost 2 Screen. See image below.
  • Rewrite the vol loader code to load all vol files in the Outpost 2 directory instead of just the split maps.vol files. the https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5915.0.html.
  • Add a devReadMe to the repository detailing a list of what should be done or looked into each release cycle.
  • Add a list of known bugs to the change log.
  • Add completed scenarios to the official download. See https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5925.msg84326.html#msg84326. I would appreciate other people's opinion testing scenarios, but am happy doing the work myself if no one else if available. Besides running the scenarios and making sure they don't crash, etc, I won't be reviewing the DLLs for security concerns. I'm assuming if someone put the time into making a complete scenario, they probably didn't intentionally put anything negative in the file. If we want to go further than making sure they work right with Outpost 2, I would need some assistance.

If these things seem agreeable, I'll start pushing them into the active GameDownload trunk of the REPO with decent COMMIT messages. We can use the commits to verify the change log before release.  https://svn.outpostuniverse.org:8443/!/#outpost2/view/head/GameDownload/Outpost2/trunk

-Brett

Old Version String contained in Outpost 2 1.3.6

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:12:19 AM by Vagabond »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.7
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:02:11 PM »
This sounds like a good plan. Very clear, and actionable. I support these changes.

My one concern is I suspect #6 could cause things to get a bit bogged down. If things do start to get bogged down, I would consider a partial list to be sufficient for a new release.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »
Thanks Hooman,

Since no one has responded negatively, I will start slowly working these suggestions into the repository.

I'll post in the pair programming listing about finding a date for working on the vol loader code.

My one concern is I suspect #6 could cause things to get a bit bogged down. If things do start to get bogged down, I would consider a partial list to be sufficient for a new release.

Agreed. Once the rest of the list is knocked out and tested, unless there are specific dates set aside for testing scenarios, we really should go ahead with a partial list.

-Brett

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 01:18:59 AM »
Just wanted to post a quick update on progress here, below are the SVN commit messages.

Replace Outpost 2 specific wells (tile sets) with standard BMP files
    * All files located in maps.vol. Files are well0000.bmp through well0012.bmp. New format is standard 8 bit BMP. Standard 9 bit BMP files are fully compatible with Outpost 2.

Update tech tree dtek_e.txt so Pre Release Eden Demo can be beaten
    * Updated file is located in maps01.vol.

Remove Punwick Junction (four players, Last One Standing) DLL
    * Punwick Junction does not have an associated map file and cannot be played in its current form. The map was based on La Corrida without a peacekeeper AI in the center of the map.

Beyond that, some good progress has been made on op2ext.

* Better error messaging for problems when loading mods or vol files.
 * Allows loading vol files with any name (*.vol) into the game.
 * Some security fixes involving char* manipulation and copying code.
 * The code is about halfway through being rewritten using C++11/14 practices and a general cleaning (at least best of my ability to clean in C++).
 * A bug in SetSerialNumber that was setting the values in the incorrect order was fixed.
 * Merged changes between the two different versions of op2ext floating around.

Besides a couple of implementation details with public.h and OP2 Memory Management, I should have the skills to finish the rewrite on op2ext (although anyone else's help is still much welcome).

My current head hurter is removing or at least updating the outdated 1.34 version string from the in game options screen (see picture from first post for what I'm talking about). If someone has knowledge on how this is being set, it would be appreciated. I haven't dug into hxd or Ollydbg or anything myself yet to try to find it...

I'd like to add the following items to the list for this release:

* Have the change log show the most current release at the top and the oldest release at the bottom (so you see the newest stuff when you first start reading.)

* Add a list of known bugs to the change log.

* Add some sort of devReadMe to the repository detailing a list of what should be done or looked into each release cycle. Just looking to make it easier to prep a release without missing something.

I'll keep from adding these 3 changes to the first post for a couple of days in case anyone has issue with them or a different plan to discuss.

Concerning testing, before this goes live, we need to make sure that everything still works with the most current version of the OP2Mapper concerning the addition of non Outpost 2 specific BMP tile sets and changing the names of some of the vol files. I can't think of any other programs that would be affected, but if they exist, please post and we can test them. I don't want to push content that makes the mapper harder to use or other programs.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
New format is standard 8 bit BMP. Standard 9 bit BMP files are fully compatible with Outpost 2.
Umm, 9 bit BMP? What?

Actually, I had to verify they were indeed 8 bit BMP. For some reason I remembered them being 16 bit, but they're not.

* Have the change log show the most current release at the top and the oldest release at the bottom (so you see the newest stuff when you first start reading.)
Yes, good idea. That would be a bit more standard. My one suggestion is to please do the flipping in it's own commit, without any additions or edits.

Concerning testing, before this goes live, we need to make sure that everything still works with the most current version of the OP2Mapper concerning the addition of non Outpost 2 specific BMP tile sets and changing the names of some of the vol files.
That's actually a good thing to test. I hadn't thought of that. Though I would expect it to handle either format just fine.

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
I thought a byte was 8 bits... where did the extra bit come from, to make it a 9 bit BMP file? From what I understand of color, you can only have arrays of 8 bits each; 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit, etc. So how could one have a 9 bit color array?
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
sigh, just a typo on my part.

It should read:

All files located in maps.vol. Files are well0000.bmp through well0012.bmp. New format is standard 8 bit BMP. Standard 8 bit BMP files are fully compatible with Outpost 2.

I just tried, but do not have permission to go in and edit my commit message. Perhaps Hooman, Leviathan, or leeor_net could fix it?

Hooman,

No problem with reordering the change log in a separate commit from any other changes.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »
I just tried, but do not have permission to go in and edit my commit message. Perhaps Hooman, Leviathan, or leeor_net could fix it?
Err, no. It's set in stone now.

Subversion doesn't allow rewriting history. The only way to change it now would be to have an admin dump the repository, filter the dump file to make the change, and then reload the dump back into the repo, replacing it's contents. That generally means taking the repo offline during the replacement process. It also means anyone who did an update that includes a modified commit now has a borked local repo and must redownload. Not generally worth it, especially for small changes. You'd normally only ever do this in the case of legal considerations, such as copyright violations, or privacy concerns, such as when a confidential file is accidentally committed to a public repo.

With Git you can do it. Git supports history rewriting. Though it's generally discouraged to rewrite history after you've published.

Btw, you shouldn't push after every commit in Git. Just push once at the end of a session, or if you've just completed an urgent change that really needs to get out right away. As long as you haven't pushed yet, it's really easy to make changes like this. In particular, git commit --amend lets you fix typos in commit messages.

Edit: Oh the irony of all the typos I made in this post. I just edited it like 5 times.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:23:07 AM by Hooman »

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »
The first post for this topic has been updated to show which items have been completed vs which are still outstanding.

I reordered the change log to be newest changes at top of file. I also added a 1st draft of Known Bugs to the top of the Changelog. See below for what I wrote. These were all I could think of off the top of my head. If anyone else can think of other bugs to add, please post them/add them yourself.

I'm open to changing the format of the bugs. Less information, different format for list, etc. Also Fractured Alliance isn't in Outpost 2 yet, but since I plan on adding it, I went ahead and listed the bug.

Outpost 2 Changelog & Known Bugs
--------------------------------

Known Bugs
----------

* Menus on title screen occasionally do not appear
  - only a single horizontal red line appears at top of menu with rest of menu nonexistent.
  - Menu is still clickable even though it isn't being drawn.
  - Typically clicking until managing to open a different menu will restore proper behavior.

* Starting building construction without committing the ConVec or structure kit
  - If interrupting the ConVec on the exact right frame, the building will start construction without tying up the ConVec. The structure kit will remain in the ConVec.

* Scenario: 4P, SRV, Forsaken World
  - Some starting colonies begin with buildings intermingled with what should be impassible terrain. One colony cannot access its starting ore deposit.

* Scenario: Plymouth Cold War
  - Attacking the AI base often creates a crashing bug soon after initial engagement.

* Scenario: 5P, SRV, Fractured Alliance
  - Occasionally the scenario will crash on initial load.

Changelog
---------

. . . MORE TEXT . . .

[/tt]

Err, no. It's set in stone now.

Subversion doesn't allow rewriting history.

Interesting. There is an easy to find button in TotoiseSVN for editing previous commit messages. Since actually changing the commits is so difficult, I wouldn't have expected them to expose the functionality so nicely in TortoiseSVN.

EDIT
-----------

Using the standard BMP format affects the mapper. The minimap display inside the editor looks a bit weird. Colors are generally correct, but there is some 'darker noise' inside the tiles. Saving the minimap to file via the mapper produces the same results. You can use the mapper otherwise without problem. Bitmap minimaps produced by the mapper are attached to this post for comparison.

New BMP minimap produced by Mapper

Old BMP minimap produced by Mapper

Now that I think about it, Greenworld tilesets were doing this to me earlier when I was playing with them in the Mapper.

Thoughts?

EDIT 2

I found where in Outpost2.exe the version strings are being set. It was actually really easy using HxD. I just searched for the text 1.3 and found them both immediately.

Offset 0xE1A00 - Sets the OPU Ver within the in game menu preferences section. I modded it to 1.36 locally and it didn't crash and showed the new number. I guess now we need to decide if we want to rip it out or start updating it with version changes. I tend towards removing it, but I don't actually know how to remove it, just edit it...

Offset 0xE7F3C - The beginning of the text 1.3.0.4. I'm betting this is the value for checking multiplayer matches. I haven't tested it out yet. Perhaps I'll find some time to mod one copy of Outpost 2 and then try to run up a multiplayer match and see what happens.

Strangely, 0xE7F3C doesn't match the hex address we are using in SetSerialNumber in op2ext.

Code: [Select]
char *verStrAddr = (char*)0x004E973C;

Thanks,
Brett
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:06:42 AM by Vagabond »