Author Topic: Parent Stars  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »
alright, my last dumb idea for the day:

what if, instead of having a parent star, the new solar system revolved around a black hole? I know, issues with gravaty being far too great and just all around suckage of the idea, but hey, it could work... no not really... I'll shut up now.
The civil war has begun....

Offline Combine Crusier

Parent Stars
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
Neg...... Perhaps the system could have a neutron star on the far side...... lets say the quivialent of 24 parasecs (I think that's 24 times the distance between the Earth and the sun) away from the parent star, with the parent star being a red dwarf..........

Possible system setup: (using Archer as the designated solar system)
Archer (star) Center of system
Archer I (planet) .027 parasec(s)
Archer II (planet) .413 parasec(s)
Cythera / Bob (planet) .912 parasec(s)
Archer IV (planet) 1.097 parasec(s)
Archer V (planet) 2.231 parasec(s)
Archer VI (planet) 2.711 parasec(s)
Archer VII (planet) 4.199 parasec(s)
Archer VIII (planet) 4.415 parasec(s)
Archer IX (planet) 6.900 parasec(s)
Archer X (planet) 7.601 parasec(s)
Archer Neutron Star (Neutron Star) 24.481 parasec(s)

Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Parent Stars
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Its possible to orbit a black hole but the planet would be moving so fast no one would be able to land on it.

Neutron stars arent those the ones that emit pulses of EM waves that would kill any thing with in seconds.

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:33 PM »
I'm not sure about the neutron Star thing, and yeah, it would likely be travelling too fast to land on. As I said, Bad idea, but I thought I could just throw it out there and see.

byall means though, allow yourselves to take this further and maybe perfect it.

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
Neg...... Perhaps the system could have a neutron star on the far side...... lets say the quivialent of 24 parasecs (I think that's 24 times the distance between the Earth and the sun) away from the parent star, with the parent star being a red dwarf..........

Possible system setup: (using Archer as the designated solar system)
Archer (star) Center of system
Archer I (planet) .027 parasec(s)
Archer II (planet) .413 parasec(s)
Cythera / Bob (planet) .912 parasec(s)
Archer IV (planet) 1.097 parasec(s)
Archer V (planet) 2.231 parasec(s)
Archer VI (planet) 2.711 parasec(s)
Archer VII (planet) 4.199 parasec(s)
Archer VIII (planet) 4.415 parasec(s)
Archer IX (planet) 6.900 parasec(s)
Archer X (planet) 7.601 parasec(s)
Archer Neutron Star (Neutron Star) 24.481 parasec(s)
first off, mouldnt that make the neutron star the parent star, and secondly, the distance between the earth and the sun is not a parsec, is a Standar Unit i think. I'm not stoo sure myself though, so I should just stop talking about what I dont know about >_<

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Parent Stars
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
I dont know why there needs to be this much detail about the system.

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:59:06 PM »
if theres going to be another novella, could alter some of the ideas on the tech trees, give ideas for the title screne?

Offline Combine Crusier

Parent Stars
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:50:12 AM »
Ummmmmmm. Perhaps you coulld have a light effect as the star is begining to pear around Cythera, you know when the sun is pearing around Earth in the OP2 opening........ have it look like that. (I think it does).

The sun projects a light beam with balls of light a certain intervals..
Fire at will!

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »
Actually Combine >_< we were discussing having a black hole as the parent star, with a neutron star on the far side, also orbitting the black hole. Black holes dont give off like, and thus can't project those balls of light. (I know wha you're talking about when you say that though)

Offline Tellaris

Parent Stars
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
Big problem with both ideas.   Both Neutron stars AND black holes have a tendency to emit gamma ray bursts.   These rays pass through solid matter, and the only way we can really pick them up, is when they react with certain materials, releaseing a proton and electron during their reaction.   There is currently no known way to sheild against a gamma ray burst.
(It is believed that if a GRB hit Earth, it would end all life here)
Of course, there is background gamma ray emission, but the levels are so small, as to not be a threat.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:53:42 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Parent Stars
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
You can orbit a black hole.  But you either need the be moving damn fast to maintan a stable EV (escape velocity) or be so far away from it that you have a stable orbit.  but then the black hole would be so far away its pointless to mention.

Earth is orbiting a black hole.  A Super Massive black hole as they put it.  One exists in the center of all spiral galaxys.

Offline Combine Crusier

Parent Stars
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:27:52 AM »
Da........ I agree Freeza-CII. A black hole isn't practicle when it comes to surviving on a planet near one....... Also you wouldn't be able to survive long since there would be no light for the plants in the agridomes to grow....... If you use artificial sunlight the power requirements would be between 70 and 90 power units.....

It is possible...... if you were in a solar-system that has a netron star and the planet your on is far away........ you could CREATE an artificial star........ but that is going to be a bit difficult considering they will probably have a resource situation.

It would need to essentially be a binary or trinary star system.... WOW!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Parent Stars
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
Blacks holes have a light source.

Offline Tellaris

Parent Stars
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:00:57 AM »
Except for the whole problem of occasional baking of excessive Gamma radiation on all the planets in the system, and the repeated extermination of all forms of life as a result of it, sure its fine.
Black Hole as a central star?   Wow.   Bad idea.   Black holes tend to suck.   Litterally.   A planet would not last long near one, and if it happend to go fast enough to maintain a semi stable orbit, its atmosphere probobly would have been stripped off long ago.   As for a Neutron star, those form after a supernova...   So chances are there won't be any planets anyway (explosion would destroy them).
And even if it entered another solar system, or was drawn to this black hole, it'd eventually be sucked up anyway.   Though it would have a oppertunity to throughly eliminate all life on the surrounding planets too (not to mention the effects its gravity well would have disturbing the balance of the orbiting planets already.   Some would be flinged away, others would hit the star itself, and still others would be thrown into the black hole)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:02:37 AM by Baikon »
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Combine Crusier

Parent Stars
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:27:06 AM »
Actually the theory is that a black hole would be pulled towards a neutron star.....

Also it has been theorized that planets are destroyed and CREATED in a supernova......

About the gamma bursts........... if the planet had a large enough Van Allen radiation belt that could be rendered inactive............ I think.....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:28:09 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »
Thankyou Cruiser. You made my day a little happier at least with that semi vote of confidence...

Baikon. No need to get personal. I pretty much posted this opic knowing it was a bad idea, but an idea none-the-less. there was no need no get persoal about it.

And Freeza, theyare called  "black holes" because they are BLACK! As in, black as space itself! As in, it absorbs all light! Meaning, no possible way for it to give off light, singe its consuming it... simple logic...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Parent Stars
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 10:34:16 AM »
there is more to a black hole then just the singularity there is the disk of hot glowing gasses that surround it.

Offline Pirogoeth

Parent Stars
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »
We are not tlakng about the gasses. not Every singularity has them, most do, but the older ones dont, they've already 'eaten' all the gasses. the gravaty caused by a black hole is too great to to let even light escape it.

this is off topic anyway....

Offline Tellaris

Parent Stars
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
Wasn't ment to get personal, sorry if it sounded like it did.   Simply put, GRBs = death, and if the planet was big enough to stop those, chances are it'd be far, far larger then Earth.   With size comes higher gravity (generally).   Probobly to the point that humans wouldn't be able to survive.
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Combine Crusier

Parent Stars
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 08:14:28 AM »
Da comrade. Unless there was another planet between it and the black hole ALL the time!

Fire at will!