Author Topic: Listening Post  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
Freeza-CII: (ya i edited that arg... out your not a pirate)

The idea of the listening post (at least in Plymouths eyes) is to improve the rate that the spider captures vehicles so Mr. Spidy doesn't get blasted at point blank range by Mr. Hammster Hammer. HOWEVER scouts can get a lot of data from this structure......... such as morale and vehicle positions but this requires a long time to get due to the extra security measures.

Stats: Listening Post
HP: 500
Armor: Medium
Ability: Increase spiders rate of capture (+20% spider capture speed)
SAbility: Increases Armed vehicles targeting range not firing range
(+4 squares auto targeting range)
AuxAbility: Sounds a warning when enemy vehicles are approaching
Alarm Range: Light Tower + 7 squares (due to advanced sensors)
Light Range: Light Tower
Common Ore: 800
Rare Ore: N/A
3rd Ore: N/A
Power: 20
Colonists: 0
Tube Connection: No
(If connected all abilities and systems extend by 2 additional squares
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:17:14 PM by Freeza-CII »
Fire at will!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:55:38 PM »
The problem with reprogramming isn't the time it takes to reprogram. It's that 1) spiders can't even get to their target before being blasted out of existence, and 2) vehicles that they reprogram then attack other vehicles that the player might want to reprogram, and friendly splash damage from this tends to kill your spiders.
The light tower already serves as an alarm. You get an "enemy unit sighted" message when enemy units get in its sight range.

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
It detect's targets beyond it's lighting range and........ speaking of that............ theree should be a hold fire button on all vehicles, shouldn't there?
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »
So this is a uber light tower that some how enhances the spiders reprogram ability.

I dont think this works because how would a light tower help reprogram all it does it see things and makes the savant scream ENEMY SIGHTED.  Spiders to reprogram have to get access to the tanks computer and such and thats just going to take time.  plus you need to out think the tanks and emp them in mass before try to take them over with spiders.  The number one use for a emp missile.

Offline Mez

Listening Post
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
The problem with reprogramming isn't the time it takes to reprogram. It's that 1) spiders can't even get to their target before being blasted out of existence, and
You obviously don't know how to use them then

I defended my base against a Tiger onslaught, with a few EMP panthers and some spiders.

their Tigers Railgunss and odd Tiger Thors Hammer's worked very nice against their previous owner!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »
The problem with reprogramming isn't the time it takes to reprogram. It's that 1) spiders can't even get to their target before being blasted out of existence, and
You obviously don't know how to use them then

I defended my base against a Tiger onslaught, with a few EMP panthers and some spiders.

their Tigers Railgunss and odd Tiger Thors Hammer's worked very nice against their previous owner!
They are very hard to use effectively, and clearly need to be adjusted.

Offline Mez

Listening Post
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
It requires some skill.  Yes you basically have to EMP all the units in the area to do a spider re-program.  but if you made it too easy to reprogram other units. e.g. Increased the spider HP, then the balance of fairness would go too far the other way, and it would be too easy to reprogram enemy units.

I think the current spider use is fine, (well for my needs anyway).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:02:11 AM by Mez »

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »
Arg....... Ummm.. Most spiders can't reprogram a vehicle in time because you have EMPed them before the spider is within weapons range other wise you risk getting blasted before you even get close to the vehicle.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:37:40 PM »
Its about tactics combine.  you position the spiders and drop the emp missiles on the targets then move in giving you the max possible time to capture 3 or 4.  The emp from a vec really work on small ammount of units. there for if there is a large detatchment of units coming you need to spend more money on killing weapons then spiders.

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »
Then the enemy just uses lynx which can spread out before the missile strikes allowing them to then move in and blast the spiders.

Wait a second!!!! Instead of decreasing the capture time of enemy vehicles what if the post INCREASED the capture time of your vehicles......... How would that sound? It would use an advanced security program to protect vehicles from viruses and reprogramming units! So as long as the vehicle is in range it would be more difficult to capture (your vehicles of course)

If so the stats would be

Stats: Listening Post
HP: 500
Armor: Medium
Ability: Increase spiders rate of capture
(+20% time for enemy spiders to capture your vehicles)
SAbility: Increases Armed vehicles targeting range not firing range
(+4 squares auto targeting range)
AuxAbility: Sounds a warning when enemy vehicles are approaching
Alarm Range: Light Tower + 7 squares (due to advanced sensors)
Light Range: Light Tower
Common Ore: 800
Rare Ore: N/A
3rd Ore: N/A
Power: 20
Colonists: 0
Tube Connection: No
(If connected all abilities and systems extend by 2 additional squares.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:23:14 PM by Freeza-CII »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »
To increase the reprograming time.  You wouldnt use a building.  You would have a research to enhance the computer of the units.  making this building rather useless.

Humorous eh well I edited that out.  Dont want to see that again.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Listening Post
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »
They are very hard to use effectively, and clearly need to be adjusted.
I completely agree Arklon.

Spiders aren't suited to Multiplayer as we know it. The whole operation of setting up the trap to capture enemy vehicles is time consuming and involves alot of ore, which is usually better spent elsewhere. (could be mostly)

Only time spiders is worth the effort is if you just want to have fun with someone below your own skill level..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:36:59 PM »
they repair things to but you know every one seems to forget they have that ability.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Listening Post
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:36:27 PM »
True, but people often use convecs to maintain their base, and game usually get too heated to conduct field repairs. Though, it is a useful feature at least when you start using tigers..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
i usually use them for tokamak repairs repairing a vec with out a garage is kinda point less

Offline zanco

Listening Post
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 01:46:02 AM »
I am going to go ahead and agree with Mez.
You (most people who posted here) obviously aren't enough adroit to use the Spiders. True it takes time, true it takes a lot of planning, but this is what builds all the excitement, all the rush. And what you get in counterpart is not to be neglected! Why would it be easy to acquire units your opponent sent resources AND time to build? You are all arguing because you think Spiders take too much clicking, but then again, this is what Outpost 2 is ABOUT! Micromanaging.

I am going to take a pretty simple example: StarFlares. I am very sure that before me, no one really cared about nor was afraid of StarFlares. True it is difficult at time to find the right passage and the right moment to sneak up on your enemy, but once you do sneak and destroy your enemy's structure, you can help it but feel happy. Why I am using Starflares as an example? To let you know that you are not going to see the quality of a unit unless someone who is dexterous with using it shows it to you.

So please, I would be pleased if new ideas weren't meant to remove little things that build up the beautiful OP2 we know. And please, don't criticize other units unless you have spent enough time analyzing that Huge Balance system it belongs to.
If you however decide to do so, make sure you keep the balance intact.

P.S: The people who created Outpost 2 weren't stupid, they took time to think about the different units and thought a lot about game balance.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Fenrisul

Listening Post
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
Let spiders "Burrow".  Done.

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »
Notice that I've changed it's ability to slow the capture rate of your vehicles....... It can hold a bigger memory core than a vehicle.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 12:12:57 PM »
Yes but it would need to be a research not a building that enhances the computer of the vecs.  Even those some things are handled by the Savants at the CC and RCC.  They still have Onboard stuff that wouldnt have any way of being enhanced by a external building.

There not zerglings -.-  no burrowing units.

Offline Combine Crusier

Listening Post
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
EH? Zerglings?

The security ststem it uses could be ginipigged back through the vehicles com. network, as long as it is within a certain range...... Either that or it could use a static field that disrupts exposed connections between vehicles.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Listening Post
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
if the vec is taken over its taken over there is nothing a building can do even if there is a piggie backed signal because there is no signal that handles that.  It would be more like a upgrade of the security subroutines.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:45:41 PM by Freeza-CII »