Author Topic: Structure Capture Vehicle  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Structure Capture Vehicle
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
I have been to the OFFICIAL game site that was taken down (I think) some time ago however one of the things I saw that they were going to implement was a vehicle that had 2 colonists and the ability to capture structures. I see this being benificial in that you could capture a small secondary colony belonging to your enemy and use it against them. I didn't see the stat's of this vehicle but I know it was being planned.

Here is an idea of what it would be like (in my mind but this is a suggestion)
HP: 1050
Armor:Heavy
FP:Spike Drill (used to vent atmosphere but can be used at short range to turn a vehicle into swiss cheese)
Speed: Ultra Slow
Common Ore:1800
Rare Ore:220
Colonists:2

Good:
Hey you can capture structures

Bad:
Need's defended
Fire at will!

Offline zanco

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »
The idea of capturing Structures, for me, just doesn't fit; however this is just my opinion. I hope other people will give their opinion about the idea.

The main reason I think it won't be a good idea (and hasn't been incorporated in OP2) is because the units are captured by reprogramming them (You might want to do some readings on Spider Units). It seems to me that capturing units boils down to doing a software override -- if I am allowed the term. However, Structures, unlike other movable units are operated by Humans.

A structure Factory for example requires 3 workers. In order to capture that structure, you will have to send a diplomat who will talk them out of working for their current colony, have a tube system ready to make the structure operational after secession from the former command center. OR you could send an army of "humanoid" or specially trained workers who will barge into the structure and kill everyone. But again, you will be wasting precious resources (Humans) and you will be taking Outpost 2 and 3 concept elsewhere (you can go play Commando to quench your thirst of capturing other buildings).

This seems to be a lot, is cumbersome and rather needless. Disabling the Structure would be easier to achieve, AND in OP2 you are already able to disable structures. You just have to EMP them or cut the tube that connects them to the CC.

I know a lot of us have thought about capturing structures, but the idea is just too cumbersome. Reusing an abandoned enemy structures seems, to me, to be a better idea.

P.S: topic is still open to refine ideas. If nothing is posted, it will be closed.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
You'd need to pretty much kill all/most/many of the colonists in the whole colony, and then man the now-abandoned structures with your own colonists. And capturing colonists could work against you (the scientists Plymouth captured from Eden were being moles).

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »
Which site was that ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline White Claw

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »
The whole reason there are two colonys is that they don't get along (well, that's not completely accurate either, but that's the result). I doubt very much that you could convince someone to permanetly switch their alliegence unless they already wanted to. And I certainly don't think you could convince an entire colony to do it (or there would be no reason to take them over in the first place).

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »
The colony capture vehicle vents the atmosphere of the biulding though. This means that there is no one inside to resist. The vehicle then reprograms the structures command codes so it will allow your colonists access. This is when you can use the biulding. This is when you connect a tube to get the structure functioning. Another thing is..... with this you could capture their CC which would give you conrol of the entire colony (after it disables life support and opens all the bulkheads).

Also, wouldn't they be improving on the technologies that were already improved in OP2?
Fire at will!

Offline zanco

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
The whole reason there are two colonys is that they don't get along (well, that's not completely accurate either, but that's the result). I doubt very much that you could convince someone to permanetly switch their alliegence unless they already wanted to. And I certainly don't think you could convince an entire colony to do it (or there would be no reason to take them over in the first place).

Exactly White Claw. I was being sarcastic. It was a way of saying that the idea doesn't really fit OP2 - OP3.

if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"