Author Topic: Voice Server?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline instigator

Voice Server?
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
Hey guys what do you think about having a voice server for the community? Ventrilo is a good one. If we were able to talk in real time then it would add some more fun to op2 games. We also wouldn't have to worry about checking chat, or missing important messeges like "a nova is going for your smelter!" However, I think the voice chat should be limited to ingame only. That way conversations can be made on IRC so that it won't look dead. Also, some poeple just dont have the hardware, or the internet speed, to keep up. I would be glad to help moderate the server  but I'm not an admin so I don't really have authority. Does this seem like a valid idea that would benefit the community?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:40:31 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

Voice Server?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
Sounds good. We did have one setup before. I like the idea of talking in game smile.gif

My friends clan use it for all of there clan games. They complete in tournaments so need the voice chat. Anyway I sometimes go on their voice server to talk to them.

They use software called VentriloMIX. Which is just Ventrilo and TeamSpeak. They use Ventrillo for the server and client. I find it easy to use.

We used TeamSpeak before.

I hope there is interest for this :)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Voice Server?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:28:51 AM »
that would only work if everyone had fast internet like cable or at least DSL and not everyone has that. plus not everyone can speak english as well as type it.

Offline Leviathan

Voice Server?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »
But people on fast connections could still enjoy it.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Voice Server?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:58:45 PM »
But if everyone migrates there, nobody will be left for straight text chat. Besides, we have skype. anyone can join up. theres already at least 8 opu members on there.

Offline Chandler

Voice Server?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »
DM-Horus does have a point, however I see the advantage of having our own server.

Why did we change IRC servers from QuakeNet to our own? Because we wanted full control of the server and to not rely on a third party.

Why not do the same for a voice server? I have no idea of the work/cost involved, so I can't say do it, but if it's worth it - why not?
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Voice Server?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »
Running one would be very easy but every time there was one no one cared.  That simple.

Offline instigator

Voice Server?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »
But if everyone migrates there, nobody will be left for straight text chat. Besides, we have skype. anyone can join up. theres already at least 8 opu members on there.
("However, I think the voice chat should be limited to ingame only. That way conversations can be made on IRC so that it won't look dead." <= that was me)

My intent was for it to be used as a in-game suppliment to make game playing more enjoyable. OPU has skype? Do they moderate it? Suppose someone came on just to spam the c**p out of us... that wouldn't be fun. Ahh, but our own server, moderated, thats the key ;) . If people don't want to play the game, kindly ask them to leave the server so that convo stays on IRC. Simple really.  

Offline Leviathan

Voice Server?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 01:46:32 AM »
skype is not the same as what we want, it is not ideal for our purposes

we need a vent or teamspeak server.

so can we get one set up?

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Voice Server?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
If you guys need, I can set either a ventrilo or teamspeak server up for use in games.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline instigator

Voice Server?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »
That would be cool. Seems like there is a lack of interest though... :(

Offline Leviathan

Voice Server?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
If you guys need, I can set either a ventrilo or teamspeak server up for use in games.
That would be great. Thanks! I vote for ventrilo but we used teamspeak before so whatevea...

Offline Chandler

Voice Server?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »
Any mods/admins want to convert this thread into a poll? Suggested format below...

Do you want a voice chat server:
Yes
Yes - Ventrillo
Yes - Teamspeak
No
Don't Care
Chandler

Offline Mez

Voice Server?
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
start a new poll yourself!

Offline Chandler

Voice Server?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »
Fine then! I will :P

Poll thread here.
Chandler

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Voice Server?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 10:41:29 PM »
ill post this here:

just get skype. all the other admins are already on it, its free, fast, has text and voice chat and doesnt need a server to setup and all that crap. just download and use it easy!

http://www.skype.com/

Offline Leviathan

Voice Server?
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:35:38 AM »
We dont need a poll. Galactic said he could set one up for us :)

Horus this is not like skype. Skype is made for 1 to 1 chat and high quality calls. And everyone would have to add everyone else on it before you can talk. I personaly allready use Skype and want to keep it with few as possible contacts. OPU people can be on my IRC/AIM/MSN.

Ventrilo/Teamspeak I assume would use less bandwidth than Skype as they are meant to run along side a game. You dont have to add users to your list. You can just enter the server when you wish to chat with whoevea else is on. My friends use it when they play clan/league matchs so they have comm's. Thats what they are designed for. Skype is designed for as a VoIP app.

Skype is good yes but its not what we need here.