Author Topic: Stupidly Difficult?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline no_good_anymore

Stupidly Difficult?
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:13:40 AM »
I know this is going to sound like whinging and I'm sure I'll get any number of replies along the lines of "you're just not playing it right" but...

I used to play Outpost 2 back when it first came out and the best thing about it was that it was dead easy and you could just have a bit of fun plonking buildings all over the place without having the mad, frenetic chaos associated with C&C, Starcraft, Battlezone, Total Annihilation etc etc etc...

So, I was dead happy when I discovered I could download Outpost 2 for free (having only recently lost my CD).  However, I noticed that it has various "patches  and updates" applied to it... another thing I've noticed is that it's absolutely impossible to play anymore!

I'm trying to play a colony game as Eden and can I get my population beyond 32?  Not a chance!  I have a university, two nurseries, two residences, a lab and a medical centre all on the go, I've got environmental psychology in place so my residences are only 38% utilised and what happens?  My colonists die off one by one and Plymouth come storming in (they seem a LOT more aggresive in this "upgraded" version) and wipe me out...

So, have the "upgrades" just b*ggered the game up and made it too hard to play?  I know even with the un-upgraded version, if you tried to play on Hard, you just ended up in a stand-off with the other colony, both throwing tanks at each other so quickly, that's all there was time and resources to do...

Or, am I, as I suspect I'll be told with great enthusiasm, just no good any more?

All opinions welcome :)

No_Good_Anymore :(

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »
how do your people die off? do you have enough food?

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »
Glad to see old fans of op2 comming back

I think one of the problems is do you run XP? if you do the buttons that choose difficulty do not light up, so you may be playing at a harder level than you think, a temp fix for this is just to hold down the alt button, but we have a more permonant fix

another is building more nurserys dosn't help with the population, if you want population go with med centers, and as I've recently learned, if you want mad pop grouth have so many med centers that the demand is less than 30%

I do not believe that the coloney games have been changed, especially the AI, it may just be that your slower in building a defence then you were before, or as above you may be playing on hard when you want to play on normal

hope it helps
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:03:57 PM »
There have been no changes to op2 that would make it harder. Infact, most changes are to make it easier/more fun. Such as, Robot Command Centers use less workers than normal.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
Not even that. As of 1.3.4 we used the sheets directly from the CD, no changes made by us. We've vowed not to change the default gameplay. If we do make any gameplay changes, all of those will be optional and not default so you don't have to play with any changes if you don't want.

The only changes that affect gameplay (besides adding missions or perhaps cause the main menus to look any different, which won't make the game any 'harder') are the 3 scenario packs from Sierra.

Even then, I don't think that changed anything.

The more likely case is that you are a just a bit rusty, and you'll improve as you get used to playing. The other thing you could try is to go in the settings and reduce the game speed... this might make it easier if you feel 'overwhelmed' and things are happening too fast.
(And no, don't take it personally at all. This happens to almost everyone coming back to OP2, well any game really, after having not played it for a long time).

You should be able to regain your skills quickly as you get reacquainted with the game and it should be just as easy as it was before.

Btw, feel free to post an introduction if you want.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:55:00 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:10:28 PM »
From what I gather from your explantaion, I think Betarays answer is the correct one.

Sounds like you are playing on "Normal" level instead of "Easy".

Make sure you click were it stands "Easy" even though no yellow light shows, you have selected "Easy" then.  As someone else mentioned pushing "ALT" can help aswell. (Never tested this myself, since I always play on hard) Or there is supposed to be a fix for this aswell. (IF SOMEONE COULD PROVIDE A LINK)

Anways, if your struggling, check back in here! Most people are happy to help out  (thumbsup)  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »
Highlander, you must be pretty experienced if you always play on Hard! I have a hard time surviving on NORMAL! Anyways dude, OP2 is one of the hardest games ive ever played, thats the main reason i play it, it was the first time that i didnt own at it after 1 month of playing. Hope you keep playing and get better, there is always somone out there the same level as you, guarenteed.
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Mez

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
Taken From a post By OP2Hacker:

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=637

In Win2000/XP, do this:

1. Right click the Desktop and choose properties (or open display control panel, either way)
2. Click the Appearance tab.
3. At the bottom click Effects
4. Uncheck "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation...". Press OK then OK again.

Now the radio buttons will show up without pressing Alt but you'll have to look at the underlined hotkeys for menus, etc.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 08:02:15 AM »
WOW i never knew about that! Thanks Mez and Hacker. BTW, what difficulty do u play at mez?
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »
OP2 Rules: For once I never play games on easy.. Never! I always set difficulty to max! No better way to learn how to play. And if I get beaten.. I try again until I beat the game ;)

Basicly that is what is still keeping me interested in OP2.. there are some things I never can work around, and my patience gets the better off me, so I have to leave some campaigns and colony maps alone after a while.. Which of course only makes OP2 more interesting over a longer time :)

As for being experienced.. I did play on WON since 98, until it shut down ;)

Offline no_good_anymore

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:17:36 AM »

Thanks for that chaps...

...I'll keep plugging away at it - it takes me right back to my university days - up all night launching solar satellites instead of...er...writing coursework :/

All the best :)

Offline Mez

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:44:02 AM »
To answer your question OP2Rules.  I havn't played in ages, so im at easy.

Offline lordly_dragon

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
I also play hard  and since I am lazy with my mouse and I am not a clicking freak I put the speed down  a bit. This way, I have all the time needed to react well.  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »
Well then mez, i wanna vs. you one day, i usualy play easy also, i do the mission where red has a base and u try to kill it, im not sure what its called one of the colony/pop missions, havent done it in a while, i cant beat it on normal, alhtough someone mentioned they were making a quide for it on hard a long while ago, i should check into that. Anyways i wanna vs. you just to have a lil fun, no competition!
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
i do the mission where red has a base and u try to kill it
I don't think there's any colony game where the objective is to kill the plymouth base?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:57 PM »
I don't think there's any colony game where the objective is to kill the plymouth base?
doesn't mean you can't try to kill it, does it?

Offline Sl0vi

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 06:37:58 AM »
doesn't mean you can't try to kill it, does it?
yeah, who actually plays that colony game to actually just launch a starship??? I played it very often, I don't think I've actually launched the starship in it even once :P
!!!YAY!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »
The only changes that affect gameplay (besides adding missions or perhaps cause the main menus to look any different, which won't make the game any 'harder') are the 3 scenario packs from Sierra.

don't forget the removal of the cheats  :heh:  
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »
Oh yeah.. well cheats are subversive, arent they? ;p

Offline ozzyozzyozzy

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 10:56:26 AM »
Hi everyone.

Thanks for putting the game together and making it available.
It's great. However I can only play the easy colony intro maps.

The other standard colony builder maps even on easy just cannot
be completed. I refuse to believe anyone can complete these
colony games on normal, let alone hard. These maps are
ridiculous !!!.

It's bad enough that in all situations the enemy starts with 3 to 5
times more units and structures than you, and 3 to 5 techs ahead
of you. You can't compete with that. I tried as was suggested
in this post by building a mass army and attack. I couldn't get past
the first 2 guard posts because their army techs are already maxed
out !!!.

What is the Galipoli ? The Alamo ?

Not all of use gamers have an Alamo/Galipoli fixation. I wouldn't mind
these type of difficulties on hard, or even normal, if EASY started
both sides on EQUAL units, techs, and resources.

The strategy of building a stable defense first is definately NOT the
answer. It doesn't matter how good you are, you'll never hold off
them indefinately. Their techs are going to be 3 to 5 ahead of yours.
Just as I establish my lynx technology, I've seen the sticky-foam units
on their base. Just when I finish 2 to 3 more techs, they have their
technologies already maxed out. You HAVE to attack, and slow them
down, in this game, they made it clear attack is the best defense.

This is a joke when you see the starting maps have
2 armies from 2-sides with at least 30 extra units on the map.

Whoever designed this game has no appreciation for a scenario when
both sides start with the SAME units, technologies, and resources.
I wouldn't winge so much if the AI had only 1 advantage, but all 3 ??

I would like to win these type of war games just like anyone else.
War doesn't have to always be 'unfair', and being the complete
underdog. I don't intend to waste time getting RSI mouse clicking to
defend from three fronts at a time thanks very much.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
Umm, How can you die, when enemy doesn't attack you ?

Also, please note that the objective isn't always to destroy the enemy.. ;)

Offline Sirbomber

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »
The enemy in a colony game always starts with full tech and an uber base because, without that, it wouldn't stand a chance because it's all pre-scripted.

I don't see how anybody can find the colony games challenging. Yes, there may be a dual meaning to that.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »
Check out this thread here.

It should give some tips for how to beat that level on hard.

Btw, the AI in this game can be so bad, the only way it can really be challenging to an advanced player is to start off that far ahead.

If you don't want to be attacked, play on easy. I can't remember if they don't attack on easy, or if they don't attack as long as you don't research weapons techs. I'm pretty sure you can largely ignore the other colony on easy. They might send 1 or 2 microwave lynx at you still, I can't remember. If they do, you can always handle them by self destructing scouts on them.

Offline ozzyozzyozzy

Stupidly Difficult?
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:49:23 AM »
Hello, thanks for the tips, I received the same type of headaches
on easy. One of the population scenerios places you near a
volcano at the start, so you're forced to move. When I do,
I got Earthquaked to lose. Before you answer, no I did not
place my new base on the top or bottom of the map. This
was close to the centre.