Author Topic: Lessons In Life  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Lessons In Life
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »
I'll be turning 36 by the end of this week, and will be the first ever OP2 community member to reach this age. I thought i should share this little anokdote with you guys, since most of you are at the doorstep of life.

Yours truly,
Eddy-B
-------------------

Pickles and beer

When the things in your life overwhelm you, when 24 hours in one day don't seem to be enough, think about the pickles-jar and the beer.

A teacher is standing in front of the class. There's lots of things on his desk. When the class started, he got up and without saying a word, took out a big, empty pickles-jar and filled it up with golf balls. When the jar was completely filled up until the edge, he asked the class if it was full.  They said "Yes."

Then the teacher got a box of small marbles and poored all of them into the jar. He shook the jar, until all of the marbles filled up the empty spaces between the golfballs. He then asked again if the jar was full. They agreed: it was full now.

Now, the teacher got a box of fine sand and poored it into the jar. And of course, the sand filled up everything else that wasn't taken up by the marbles or the golfballs. Again, he asked the class "Is the jar full now ?" This time the students were very sure it was full, and nothing else could fit inside it anymore.

After hearing this answer, the teacher got out 2 cans of beer, opened them, and poored the contents into the jar. The beer filled up the space between the grains of sand. The class laughed.

When they had settled down, the teacher said: "This jar represents your life.The golf balls are the things that really matter in life - your family, your children, your health, your friends, your biggest hobby. Its the things that are so important to you, that if you lost everything else in life, except those things, you're life would still be worth living. The marbles are all the other things that matter, like your job, your house and your car. The sand is everything else, the small things.."

"When you put the sand into the jar first, there will be no space for the marbles nor the golfballs. The same applies to your life. When you put all your time and energy into the small things, you will not have space nor time for the really important things in life. Make sure you do the important things first. Play with your children. Take time to go to the doctor when you don't feel well. Take your partner out for dinner. Take time to relax. There will always be time to clean the house or to do the shopping. First take care of the golf-balls, the things that really matter. Prioritize - all the rest is just sand."

When he was done speaking, the class remained silent for a moment. Until one student raised her hand and asked what the beer was meant for. The teacher smiled. "I'm glad you aksed," he said. "It shows you, that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always space for a couple of beers."

-------------------
Cheers!

Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline james239

Lessons In Life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »
Lol, that's a good story, congrats on your birthday, whenever it is, I'm assumig it's this week.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Lessons In Life
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:44:17 PM »
Ive got an empty stein sitting on my shelf that I bought at Oktoberfest a couple years ago. Im saving it for a special occasion.

Congrats on your bday. Have a good one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:45:28 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Eddy-B

Lessons In Life
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:54:29 AM »
Lol, that's a good story, congrats on your birthday, whenever it is, I'm assumig it's this week.
it's the 30th.
--------------------

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Lessons In Life
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
Happy birthday. Just don't fill up on the beer first. :P

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Lessons In Life
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 07:27:48 AM »
Eddy did you say you had kids at some point? If so, what is that like? This is something Im very curious about.

Offline Sirbomber

Lessons In Life
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 07:45:09 AM »
Eddy did you say you had kids at some point? If so, what is that like? This is something Im very curious about.
Well Horus, it all starts when a man and a woman...
Err...
Yeah, I'm stopping there...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Lessons In Life
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »
its good to know that when somebody is too busy, sirbomber comes to the rescue!

Putting words in other people's mouths since November '03! ©

Offline Sirbomber

Lessons In Life
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Darned straight!
Eat it you filthy pidgeons!!!

I'm convinced I grow more insane by the hour.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:37:43 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Sl0vi

Lessons In Life
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »
mmmm.... beer..
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Lessons In Life
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
its good to know that when somebody is too busy, sirbomber comes to the rescue!

Putting words in other people's mouths since November '03! ©
LOL Nice!

xD that's a good joke horus...

Nice story Eddy-B! Maybe i'll tell it to people when I get your age :P

Happy birthday!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Eddy-B

Lessons In Life
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 01:15:41 PM »
Thanx guys.. 2 more days of being 35 and i already feel old(er) !

and to Stormy: MY age .. heh! that will take another 20 years (give or take a few..) !
--------------------