0 (0%)
BeOS
0 (0%)
MacOS
2 (6.7%)
Other
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: My Favorite OS  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
My Favorite OS
« on: February 04, 2006, 07:44:24 AM »
Mine is still good old DOS
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline thablkpanda

My Favorite OS
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 08:12:49 AM »
Linux owns all.

If there was more software out for Linux, or if all programs were ported to linux- then It'd be a godsend. The security of Linux, coupled with it's functionality - blows Winblows out the water.

Microsoft suckz0rZ - Linux 0wnz0rz.

Yo.

Pimpin.

Chris

Offline Sirbomber

My Favorite OS
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:56:35 AM »
I vote XP just so it will get a vote.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
My Favorite OS
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »
I vote linux, ditto for panda.... I just wish it was a bit more user-friendly.. and  if there was a true, always working software solution, I'd be on Linux in a heartbeat....  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

My Favorite OS
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »
XP PRO

Offline Mez

My Favorite OS
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
Linux. anyday just for its pure command line power.

Now thats power

Offline wizisi2k

My Favorite OS
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:04:03 PM »
I vote for NT/2k/XP because of the factc that most of my software is ONLY for those OS's and b/c for the others the games I run aren't out for MOST of them

Offline Harky

My Favorite OS
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:06:34 AM »
I would vote for The 64 bit version of win xp :).. also really wiht the windows patches and a firewall.. i havent had any security break ins..

Offline zigzagjoe

My Favorite OS
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 12:13:30 AM »
thats wt wine is for wizi :)

(also what wine stands for is: [W]ine [Is] [N]ot a [E]mulator)

You'ld be suprised at the sheer amount of sw available for linux, and it can be extremly user friendly, if you use X+KDE or gnome. Personaly, i prefer the command line, i can just work easier in it. props go to DOS, Mac OS X, i have uses for each.

I currently use Windows 2003 Professional 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build #3790) , in 64bit mode (which owns if you know how to recompile stuff to take advantage of it). im tryin to convert to linux on my main machine (Screamer) but im havin issues w/ ntfs drives and a few other things. that and wine doesnt like 64bit mode, which i cant live w/o. _sigh_ :/

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
My Favorite OS
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »
Hmm, tough choice. I like a lot of the OSes on there, and haven't really used some of the others. I'm pretty sure MacOS isn't it though. Seems like a bit of an odd spread of choices though.

For my desktop, the choice is clearly WinXP. For my laptop, it's gotta be Win98 SE. For doing low level boot sector and protected mode programming then I'll be using DOS 6.22 (and maybe Win3.11 along with it). For running a server, it's gotta be non MS. Linux is good. BSD is also good, although, I never used FreeBSD for a server. QNX also works and is a bit of a cool choice, but it doesn't seem to have as much software in the default install.

Who the heck uses Unix? I mean seriously. People just use "unix" as a term for all those linux and BSD variants out there nowadays. Nobody actually uses UNIX anymore. I suspect anyone who has used UNIX is probably pretty old. (Eddy, how about you?  :whistle: )

Oh, and gotta love how you can boot QNX off of a CD or a floppy disk (without performing an install to the hdd in either case). Especially since it supports a GUI and web browser off of just a floppy disk. It's also got pretty good power saving features for a laptop, the necessary basics for a network server, and it's ability to work with harddisks in a clean and efficient way has been very helpful. It's saved my butt a few times when I screwed up windows. Even managed to get like 10 GB of data back from a partition that had it's partition table deleted. Probably not my first choice for any one thing, but it's usually my second choice for any given thing. Definately one of my favorite all around OSes. Very handy to have as a backup for when things go wrong.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
My Favorite OS
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »
I did use UNIX yeah... 'some' time ago.. lol
My old university had a Pr1me computer, which ran UNIX (that was back in 1988). We loved the machine, coz all the consoles ran on a 6502 1MHz processor.  Pr1me could handle upto 63 consoles/terminals i believe, and it was capable of running "background" batch programs.
All i had at home at that time was a C64. I bought my first pc in 93. It was a big investment for me then: a brand new Cyrix 80486DLC-33MHz(=basicly a 386 with an 80287 coprocessor), but i don't expect anyone to understand those terms right now...

Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
My Favorite OS
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »
Linux is my number one choice.

Who says it's not user friendly? I can tell you this, it's a hell of a lot more user friendly than DOS ever was. If you can use DOS, you can probably use Linux 10 times better.

If you're still scared of the command line, if you use a window manager such as KDE or GNOME it shouldn't be scary at all. You can still use many of your favorite programs such as Firefox. If you need to run windows apps (aka OP2) you can use WINE, a windows emulator (or even install a program like VMware, to let you run windows inside of linux).

If you worry that you are gonna screw up settings, there are plenty of 'wizard' programs that can do it all for you, both command line and graphical.

Systems like Debian, SuSE, Redhat etc all have some sort of package system for software. You need very little knowledge of linux (or even computers in general) to be able to use these.

In other words, you can have as much or as little control as you would like.

As for security, you can't really say that it's necessarily more secure than windows (right out of the box), because you can do a lot of boners that can open your whole system up for attack. However, you are still quite a bit safer considering Windows is targeted more often than Linux.

I would be using Linux right now, the only thing that keeps me from doing so is OP2 work. (I need windows for that <_< )

Offline lordly_dragon

My Favorite OS
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
ms dos because of nostalgia. first computer i ever use ran only dos :)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
My Favorite OS
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 03:02:20 PM »
I cannot believe I am the only one with MacOS as my favorite. I dont like all MacOSs, just OSX. It is so easy to work with and the visual affects Apple gives it are great.
I can never give a good ole linux box either, the most customizable friend in the world.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
My Favorite OS
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 12:06:07 AM »
win 98SE all the way!
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline omagaalpha

My Favorite OS
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 02:49:45 PM »
window xp
though long time go I did know how use dos
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.