Author Topic: My New Laptop  (Read 1762 times)

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
My New Laptop
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:14:16 PM »
My uncle gave me a laptop... i know i was gunna uy one, but o well.

It has a 6.02GB HD, 119 megabytes of ram (i think) Windows 2000, 1 usb port, a couple other 'needed' ports, NO CD, NO FLOPPY, and im using it right now.

I wanted to ask anyone who know anything (IMO allof you do  :D  :D ) about computers. My only way of transering memory is to upload it online, or use my 64MB memory chip for the single usb. I  am aware of external drives, but is ther another way?

I have no idea how to get network working, i assume its how im am accessing to the internet right now, after all, im just a kid. Any ideas where i start to find my other pc? I have a lot of data i would like to transfer!

Would windows XP f**k it up? Could i get it from a safe place?

Anyone know anything else i could do?

Thanks
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline zhukant

My New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »
heh 6.02? We were studying that number in chemistry a couple months ago. 6.02 x 10^23 is a mole.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
My New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:34 PM »
And this helps my how?
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline zhukant

My New Laptop
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 07:06:51 PM »
Sorry :(
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
My New Laptop
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »
Don't ta it personaly, i just need help what to do with it!
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline zigzagjoe

My New Laptop
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 09:37:01 PM »
winxp is too much and win 2000 is pushing it. you'ld be better with 98 on a old thing like that. and go buy a usb-hub; they're quite cheap and wil get you 4 more ports (and you can add another hub to it if ya need more). try searching the internet for microsoft file sharing for instructions for how to set it up.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
My New Laptop
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 07:46:19 AM »
Yeah, I would definitely stay away from putting windows XP on it. (Well, it would depend how fast the CPU is, and how much RAM it's got)

I wouldn't suggest anything slower than a 400 mhz machine to install XP to (and even then, you would probably want to disable all the fancy graphical effects so it runs a bit faster).

As for other ways to connect to it, you can use serial and parallel ports. EVERY computer i've seen has one of those ports (I'd be very surprised if it doesn't).

Parallel would be the best option (however you need the correct type of cable. A standard printer cable won't do, unless it has the Centronics connector on both ends). Serial is much too slow to do anything. (Transferring files thru serial is comparable to 56k internet access), not to mention you'd have to build your own serial cable (unless you feel like getting ripped off for a null modem cable)

Ethernet port - does it have a built in adapter? or do you have to use a PC card for the ethernet port?

Using the network would be the best way to do it (in terms of speed). To copy to your other computer, you have two choices:

1. Get a crossover ethernet cable and connect the computers' ethernet ports directly together with this cable.
2. Connect the laptop to a router/hub/switch in your network, and use windows file sharing or some other way to move files off of the laptop.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
My New Laptop
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »
Hmm... Ok, i guess windows xp is clear to me. I think ill just stay with windows 2000, as for the etherlink stuff:

Yes, i need to put in a card for it and i have the card (i got 3 different cards). I have a wireless network card, but when i insert it into the computer, it says i dont have the right software to run it. If you think you can help, ill give the name of he card then, as for now, its tucked away so i wont get it for nothing :P .
 ^--- GD Text Generati