Poll

If you could travel back in time to do ONE thing Outpost 2-related, what would it be?

Advertise Outpost 2.
0 (0%)
Tell the programmers to include real AI.
1 (5.9%)
Get the source code.
9 (52.9%)
Give the programmers a CD with all our info/misisons etc.
0 (0%)
Play on SIGS/WON one last time.
1 (5.9%)
Take the Dynamix Map Maker.
2 (11.8%)
Tell Hacker to start hacking OP2.
1 (5.9%)
Tell Lev to get his own copy of OP2.
2 (11.8%)
Tell them to finish the "Microbe Campaign".
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Outpost 2 In The Past.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« on: January 30, 2006, 06:55:45 PM »
The question was pretty poorly worded...
Basically, if you could travel through time, but could only do it once and come back, what would it be for? (It has to be about Outpost 2 though).

If you think of anything else, just say it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline thablkpanda

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »
I'd get the source.

I'd not advertise- that'd mean more members at OPU, or possibly that SIGS/WON was still up. Believe it or not, I don't think that I'd like OP2 so much if it was extremely overpopular.

The rest of those kinda wouldn't be good ideas- Hacker'd be like... 12, or 11- and lev would be like 11, or 12, 13 ish..

Yeah.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »
Hehe, I'd be like some random 6/5 year old kid :P. Anyway, I would like to play on SIGS/WON for at least one time; I've never had the opprotunity to play on it, and I would love to see what that was like back in the day. If I could pick a second, I'd say "Get the source code" because we can truly mod OP2 and learn how it's innards work :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 07:54:00 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:58:32 PM »
defonatly get the sourse code, if we had that, we could make op2 as we see fit, and projects would be completed in a tenth of the time
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:14:26 PM »
Bring back some top-of-the-line Radeon X1900XTX, X1900 CrossFire, GeForce 7800 GTX 512 GFX cards and give them to ATi/nVidia respectively; also bring back some top-of-the-line processors and give them to their respective manufacturers; get source code, Dynamix's map editor, and OP2 rendering models; give OP2's development team loads of ideas to improve the game; then travel to the future, which will have hardware-accelerated raytracing in real time, then use the models for a new 3D OP game. And see which company's ahead in the "MAKE STRONGER GFX CARDS" race.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:21:29 PM by Arklon »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 01:08:04 AM »
Sorry lev, but I want you to get your own copy of OP2 that bad :P

What's this about a "microbe campeigne"?  I never heard of one for OP2.  I know that it was an idea for OP3...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:09:34 AM »
i would tell Dan not to include the cheats in multiplayer

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:09:38 AM »
Yeah, I would get the source code.

First of all, you'd have the full game source. In that way, you'd get the map editor source code as well. (The map editor was actually compiled into early builds of the game, I think. Probably just controlled using a build time switch).

The only thing you MIGHT not have readily available would be the graphics files (well files, op2_art files) but you have a copy of the compiled, final game with those so that's not an issue.

Having the source code, you could do most of the other things in the list (make better AI, get the map editor, etc)

It would also make my 'hacking' obsolete, because I could just read the source. (Caveat: I didn't know C / C++ back then :P)

One thing that would also be nice, is to build support for WON, or even advertise OPU on WON. (But again, anachronistic: OPU didn't exist back then).

Interesting things to think about. If only... :P

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »
just remember, you can't change the past.  I believe the theory is that, if one were to travel back in time, they cannot do anything that would prevent tem from doing so.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 01:07:33 PM »
this is the kind of thing ive thought about often :)

also i wish i had my own copy of op2 wen it came out and i played on WON when it was big, omg that would of been sweet.

i gess we just need to make our selves real big and recreate it :D

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »
Sorry lev, but I want you to get your own copy of OP2 that bad :P

What's this about a "microbe campeigne"?  I never heard of one for OP2.  I know that it was an idea for OP3...
I saw something about it here:
http://www.wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Bligh...nal_Information
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Sl0vi

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 03:46:53 PM »
Considering I had no internet connection back then. I guess I'd ask the developers to include some real AI! Preferably one that works with the multiplayers maps.

Then wouldn't have had to play the Eden starship colony game, over and over again just to get a rival colony to fight against!

still... that colony game entertained me for years.  :heh:  
!!!YAY!!!

Offline thablkpanda

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 03:47:09 PM »
That final section gave me an idea.

We should just create that project using the AI we're planning on building. I mean I know it's kinda obvious- but that's a damn good idea for a map. With some editing I think it could be an interesting idea...

Kinda like you have to outrun the blight, and the units unaffected by it that have already taken over, will chase your ass down.

Sounds cool!

Chris

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 05:08:09 PM »
It's called Survivor. Just without the AI. (Our initial multiplayer AI attempts have not worked... particularly well...)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 01:37:14 AM »
I never looked at it like that, I figgured it was just a way of telling you that the vehicles had motion sensory capability and could only tell when another of the same vehic was friend
CK9 in outpost

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 07:44:06 AM »
if ( source == god)
{
    findgod(me);
}

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost 2 In The Past.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
*shakes head*  religion nut...
CK9 in outpost