Poll

Do you observe/celebrate Christmas?

Yes
24 (96%)
No (Specified below)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Do You Celebrate Christmas?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Do You Celebrate Christmas?
« on: December 21, 2005, 01:55:20 AM »
Does anybody at OPU not celebrate Christmas in observance of another holiday or faith? If you do not observe Christmas, please specify what you do celebrate.

I think the results would be very helpful for us all in the future.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 01:57:44 AM »
That and its interesting to know how many people here dont do christmas.

Offline siqueule

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 07:33:55 AM »
for you, do xmas, it's do all traditions or just the gifts/fir tree/garlands?
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »
I do and I don't. I celebrate the festival of lights (I forget its official name... I'll get that soon), a Pagen holiday that was turned into Christmas by the Christians a thousand or so years ago.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 03:31:42 PM by leeor_net »

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:47:34 PM »
i dont care about the religon so for me it is... gift family food booze and hang over

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline siqueule

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 04:17:03 PM »
the chicken, the gifts, that will't go further
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »
my family celebrates christmas how we think its supposed to be celebrated. although we dont talk about it, we've always known that christmas isnt really about a religious experience unless you make it that way. for us, christmas is about giving and sharing and being kind to one another. sharing good times and a feast is what we do. most of my family is norweigan so we have a smorgasbord with pretty much every kind of mean dish there is. so the cooking process is a big part of it. i think thats what brings it together - ppl who normally cant get along manage to work together to create a huge feast for everyone. the gifts are nice but arent the most important. its really a time you get to see the people youre normally too busy or too far away to see. we dont go to church and make it a huge christ thing but we dont commercialize it either and turn it into an excuse to buy things. theres something to be said for being moderate.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 06:25:23 AM »
ya my family allways has.

were not christians tho.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:33:02 PM »
We are a little religous I guess. For instance, we went to our christmas Eve service at church last year. Not trying to brag, but because they were expecting something so big, they actually rented the Nearest NBA Basketball stadium (Also known as the American Airlines center. It was a good thing too, we had 45,000 ppl come in 2 services. 30,000 the first one, and 15,000 the second!). That was quite fun; they did all this fancy stuff with the lighting, and SOMEHOW they had ppl SKATING onstage! (no, it's not rollerblades < <_< )

Then we go back to one of our houses (depends), and we have the party thing you guys were discussing above. However, today we aren't going to church.

Wow, thats a lot of typing :P

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 12:45:02 PM »
... damn... I'm outnumberd 17 to 1!  :heh:  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 02:57:36 AM »
as much as I hate the concept of the holiday (I have since I was 10, around when I first started to actually think about stuff) it is celebrated here, but not nerely as decorative as it used to be.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
I observe Christmas because it is a significant day. It is the day commonly set aside every year to celebrate the coming of Jesus Christ into the world. By doing so, God became man, ultimately so that those who believe can have eternal life. For a believer like me, this is something very significant to observe.

... but I also love the presents, some of the movies, ... and getting presents. It's not only a Christian tradition but a tradition in countries that at one time were predominantly Christian. It does wonders for the retail business. A lot of people get a holiday off for it.

Now whether or not one should give gifts on Christmas is a debate more geared to a more religiously minded forum.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 07:29:09 PM »
i would think that giving gifts would indicate that the religious aspect is observed since if one didnt recognise the day as a religious observation, you couldnt celebrate it by giving gifts.

but thats not to say there arent shades of gray equal to the number of different people on earth. everyone has theirown way of doing things,but like i said i think its more likely that someone who gives gifts on christmas also religiously observes it. I myself, celebrate it as a holidy and not a religious one. i imagine many people ppl around the world do this. i also give ppl gifts for chanukah although Im not jewish. ppl do appreciate it tho.