Author Topic: Posts/shout Spam  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Posts/shout Spam
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:25:56 PM »
It's been, what, not even a day and we've already got people shouting about their homework and making polls about their favorite poster. What is this? It's crap is what it is. But I'm not here just to complain, of course. I have some suggestions...

The shouts can ONLY be about at least semi-important things (looks at shoutbox). In other words, we probably don't need people shouting "woot", "meh", and "oops". You know who you are.

Polls about the "most intelligent poster" goes on the spam forum, not the general forum. Polls in the Gereral Forum should only be about important real-world events, etc.

My ideas for consequences involving these rules:
Violating:
1) Lose 20% of money.
2) Lose 40% of money.
3) Lose 80% of money, 2-week ban from store.
4) Lose all money, (perma-?)banned from store.
5) Say good-bye to OPU! (you've had plenty of warning)  :angry:

Enforcing/Reporting:
I don't know, money or something I guess.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but if I want to go to Spamalot Forumland, I go to... well, you don't need to know where...

So, what do you all think? (prepares to be eaten)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 02:28:11 PM »
Sounds good to me.

People who spam merely for credits, WILL have actions taken against them. This includes losing ore all the way up to having their warning level increased, or possibly even put on moderator review. (Moderator review means all your posts must be reviewed and accepted by a moderator before they will be added to the forum).

By the way, shouting doesn't get you any Ore, so don't spam there.

Offline spirit1flyer

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:36:23 PM »
Polls about the "most intelligent poster" goes on the spam forum, not the general forum

I had planned this before the IBstore was put back on and if hacker thinks it should be moved then by all means go head and move it

The shouts can ONLY be about at least semi-important things (looks at shoutbox). In other words, we probably don't need people shouting "woot", "meh", and "oops". You know who you are.

the shoutbox has never been for important things it has always been used this way if you want to talk about important things make a post or talk about it on IRC

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 02:41:19 PM »
It's been moved.

And tbh, short comments like 'woot' 'meh' 'oops' are not the norm on the shoutbox.

Though this has nothing to do with IBstore (well, indirectly it does -- IBstore = more posting = more shouts), it's still not acceptable.

Please only do meaningful shouts and posts!

Offline spirit1flyer

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:44:52 PM »
my post may have been a little rude. So I am sorry  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 03:36:41 PM by spirit1flyer »
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 06:59:27 AM »
Well ive ALLWAYS hated the shoutbox and i still want it removed, but all u guys want it or somthing so i cant !

Talk should be done on IRC.

The shoutbox sucks.

You should not get any credits for using the shoutbox! Please make this so!

You should not get any credits for short posts under 10 words nor should short posts increase ur post count.

The mods should move topics which should be in spam forum (where u dont get points for posting and posts dont increase ur post count) to the spam forum.

Offline gamerscd0

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 07:08:48 AM »
i agree levi acept the part about the 10 word at least some of use less intellagent people cant use many words :)

Offline zigzagjoe

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 08:39:38 AM »
yeah, i would have to agree with that levi. you do not get points for shouting. although, sometimes a short post is all that is neccisary to get the point across.

As far for short posts not counting, that is nearly impossible without rewriting most of the core of ipb.  

Offline Leviathan

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 08:53:33 AM »
there are many mods for IPB and the short post thing is one of them! Im not sure but it may have been installed sometime, op2hacker will know.

Also - More forum activity is great :D

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:48:09 PM »
I believe I did install it..I'll check when I get home.
I do remember it was a simple mod, there's no "rewriting the core of IPB" needed.
The classes that process posts are in ./sources/lib of an IPB 1.3.x install, there's only 3 or 4 or them. (This is where the IBStore adds to it's points count, inside these classes)

Again, if the forum counts a post, it will add ore.

if the post is NOT counted, it will NOT add ore.

You do not get ore for shouting. I don't plan on starting it anytime soon.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:48:20 PM by op2hacker »

Offline thablkpanda

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 07:17:45 PM »
Bomber:

I like your general 'thought process' however you're missing the fact that there are really only about 50 (MAXIMUM) total regular posters here, and only 4 on at one time.

The point I'm trying to convey, is that this community is not HUGE yet- and until we have the need to split everything up, I'd just be happy that people are posting. True, severe spam like some COMPLETELY moronic threads, should be on their own sub-cat. But when we have 'nothing better to do' than to post threads like the one you mentioned, then I wouldn't concern myself with the content so much- and just be elated that people really do try to be active and learn more about each other.

True, people posting solely for the purpose of gaining credits/money should have actions taken, similar to the ones you mentioned, in the case of reputable members here ( most of the regular posters I mentioned earlier) - I'd just be easy. This is a place to chill, and discuss the common interest we share (OP2, just in case you're a little slow). Not to be persecuted for posting our 'randomness' or whatever comes to mind. - Again, there's the N00B factor, where you've got people posting tons of useless crap, just to get their name in a 'cool glow effect'. In those cases, aforementioned actions should be taken.

I'm not sure I conveyed my point properly- I assure you though, if it doesn't make sense to anyone, just nod your head- because it's pefectly sensible.

Christopher Merchant
Merchant Enterprises
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:21:27 PM by thablkpanda »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 09:21:50 PM »
In case people are mad at ME or something (th300 mentioned something to me), I am not spamming the freaking Genesis forum just to get ore! I'm helping to keep it alive by talking with the community about ideas and whatnot. And the Homework thing, Why does that matter anyway, it was only like 3 shouts, Leeor, then me, then Leeor.??? I Don't like the idea of short posts not counting, Many times it just takes a small post to get the point across. Why yell at us for doing our part in the community... taking part in a Community project!?

(Yes this post might seem a little offencive, but I was a little offended by some things that were talked about; It's nothing personal.)

Also, I do NOT think it is ok to 'ban' someone from OPU... Warnings are fine, but actually BANNING them from IRC, OP2, The forums, the Wiki, any and all project work is a bit harsh. How about a suspension! I think that a complete and never-ending ban is a bit harsh (even if it isn't a never ending ban, You shouldn't ban them from IRC unless they are being a total N00b. Just talk to the offender and WORK it out. Things like this make me mad, Where people go out and attack other people just because of a few posts or shouts.

About Levi not liking the Shoutbox:

1. It allows us to communicate to people who just arrived here, not about to get on IRC and whatnot.
2. If someone is banned from IRC or something (like the g-line problem we had) The shoutbox is the best method to getting the message across
3. If someone like Creator is trying to get and check on OPU, How can we communicate to HIM if he cant use IRC/Forums!!

(It's not that I don't like you Sirbomber, It's just that I don't agree with some of this, You're a great person!  (thumbsup) )

Stormy :op2:

As I stated above, it's nothing personal
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 09:26:56 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 05:31:27 AM »
I just wanna see the place active and it to be a friendly and welcoming place for all!

No one has evea been baned from IRC and i dont expect we will evea need to.

Offline zigzagjoe

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 08:02:33 AM »
Yes, no one has been banned permantly from irc or the forums. Altho, on irc a tempban [part of a kb] may be required to get some ppls to cool off. This type of ban lasts no longer than a[1] minute. As for the forums, noone is banned.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 02:23:35 PM »
No, we will NEVER perma ban someone except in extreme circumstances. For example if they're trying to trash the website or do something malicious.

(In other words, are not here to be here, but are here to cause harm)

Offline gamerscd0

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 04:04:15 PM »
(zigzagjoe Posted on Oct 7 2005, 07:02 AM )Yes, no one has been banned permantly from irc or the forums. Altho, on irc a tempban [part of a kb] may be required to get some ppls to cool off. This type of ban lasts no longer than a[1] minute.

this is not true cuse a few mounths ago i got prm banned from irc because i tryed to change my nickso not true zig zag joe :'(

and seriously we souldnt even be thinking about taking the shout box off or banning ppl for using it if you are that woried about misusing it just make it so you dont get ore for using it  :op2:  

Offline zigzagjoe

Posts/shout Spam
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »
you were not banned from irc; that auth/nick was banned. if you desired you could change ur nick and not auth on the acct and bam ur on irc.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 11:38:48 PM by zigzagjoe »