Author Topic: Programming Language  (Read 2121 times)

Offline MBCMDR

Programming Language
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:20:36 AM »
Hello All

As a general question, what overall programming language have you been doing all the edit tools with. Have you made a group standard or requested everyone to use a set language.

I must say thank you to Hooman for his Graphics viewer. I had to drop down a few levels and load VS6.0 atleast I had a MSDN DVD disk of if from my old MSDN subscription. This will be a change from working with applications to graphics. I feel atleast a base has been started for the graphics side.

I run VS 2003 but can run older stuff.

If you want to run new style of code but the price to high, I suggest looking at SharpDevelopment

EDIT: The SharpeDevelopment is both C# and VB.NET posted here because of the VB.NET for users to see.

MBCMDR
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 12:54:58 PM by MBCMDR »

Offline Leviathan

Programming Language
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 05:22:10 AM »
Cynex made a art viewer first, and was the first to realy decode the art stuff i beleive, http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=1635

A few tools have been made with Visual Basic, we program new map/mission  .DLL's with Visual C++ so you need that compiler and libary.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Programming Language
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:33:13 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately the only language that will work well with OP2 to produce mission DLL's is Microsoft Visual C++. We use version 6 but I'd imagine versions 5, and 2005/.NET (unmanaged, so no C#) would work fine.

We eventually plan on writing an interface where all OP2 functions would be exported thru COM, so almost any language that supports COM could be used to write OP2 DLLs.

Tools have been written with both VC++ and Visual Basic, there's no set language that we agree to use for writing tools, so any language that you want is fine! VC++ is the only real restriction, for writing OP2 missions.

Offline MBCMDR

Programming Language
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:17:03 PM »
God I hate C++, because they allow all the old style code ways too (AKA reverse compatibility) That makes it so hard to understand at times.

MBCMDR

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Programming Language
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 07:34:01 PM »
Probably most apps are written in either C++ or VB (or both). You are free to use whatever you want, but those two seem to be the common ones that most people have. There's also been some work done in assembly. Mostly patches. And lots of assembly reading trying to figure out all this stuff.  :)