Author Topic: Hello Oupost Universe community  (Read 2680 times)

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
Hello Oupost Universe community
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:05:09 AM »
Hello XD... my name is Rokkan and I've been lurking in this community since 2011. I never spoke or registered because I could not speak English, and today I can speak it almost fluently, and I can understand what all of you talk about here, for this I'm grateful that all of you have maintained this community for a long time and I find it very incredible that they have improved the game with much more technical contributions, is what impresses me most, I always wanted to contribute something to this community. I like Outpost 2 and it is one of my favorite games from my childhood, I have suffered and enjoyed in equal parts in this game with its great difficulty, I have hated its flaws but still, I have spent very good times playing Outpost 2.

When I was in elementary school, back home, the first thing I did was to play Outpost 2 and think of strategies to complete the campaigns, and incidentally, read the novel, which in itself motivated me enough to complete the campaign because for each level you passed, you unlocked one more episode. Even reading the novel was difficult, and at that time I was learning English thanks to the videogames XD. I can even tell you a very personal anecdote about how I met this game.

You see, I discovered this game thanks to my brothers, I remember I was about 8 years old and that, and I remember that one of my brothers played the Outpost 2 demo, and back then we all played Starcraft and other abandonware RTS like Alien Colony, Z, Atrox, etc. But Outpost 2 caught my attention because it had a lot of things to do in real time, and I was very dizzy with Master of Orion or Civilization XD, as a kid I really liked the action. A few years later, my brothers would gradually stop doing things together, they were family things but each one went his own way, so that I can play the video games they had without asking permission and stuff. Knowing this, I played the Outpost 2 demo (I didn't know they had the full game yet) and I played the Eden demo.

I was traumatized because in that demo there is a volcano that erupts and I didn't know what to do, I was very scared and I didn't want to play the game again, and I didn't want to see when the lava destroyed all my colony. Later, that same day, they announced on TV that a volcano (Ubinas) in my country (Peru) was about to erupt. I didn't want to know more about Outpost 2 and I was afraid to play that thing, that's how my fear of volcanoes arose, but I would overcome it years later.

Already in 2011 would be when I finished the game and the campaign, and I read the novel with the little English I mastered back then. Personally, I love the kinda terrifying plot it handles and I like that tone of desperation to have everything under control, which reflects the game itself. And that reflects very well the context that Outpost 2 has: Earth has been destroyed and only a few humans survived, and you have to manage a colony on a dead planet, and all with the few resources you have within reach. There's no turning back, and you're on a very bad situation between life or death, I remember when I overcame my fear of volcanoes, that game still made me despair, and always made me think that we were all going to die XD. But I was encouraged by the motto of the game which is, extinction is not an option. You have to fight for survive, neither more nor less. I got really upset when I couldn't get through the campaign, and I never gave up. In my opinion, Outpost 2 has the most difficult campaign of all RTS games, but it's a very good game, it's broken and have a few errors, but it has a very great potential to be one of the best RTS today.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story, I hope I didn't break any rules, but it's because I wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking around this community like so many years and it's been a long time since I've taken a look at it. It's been a long time since I played Outpost 2, and I played it again because the pandemic also evokes the same emotions as when I played Outpost 2 for the first time, don't you feel it too? Extinction is not an option.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:42:28 PM by RokkanJC »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Hello Oupost Universe community
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 04:10:14 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Pretty impressive writing for someone who couldn't speak English 10 years ago.

Can't say I know a whole lot about Peru. What are things like over there?

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Pretty impressive writing for someone who couldn't speak English 10 years ago.

Can't say I know a whole lot about Peru. What are things like over there?

Hi Hooman, your name sounds too familiar to me. I think you once made an Outpost map or something XD. Anyway, here in Peru, the things are like in Outpost 2 campaign, we are in the middle of a pandemic and extinction is not an option but we are fighting among us because we are in presidential elections XD.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:11:55 AM »
Oh yes, I see news of elections going on over there. Seems there's been a bit of a bad incident there today in a remote village.

Actually, you know what comes from Peru that's totally awesome? Flute music! :) I once bought a CD years ago. Very soothing.

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 03:47:18 PM »
Oh yes, I see news of elections going on over there. Seems there's been a bit of a bad incident there today in a remote village.

Actually, you know what comes from Peru that's totally awesome? Flute music! :) I once bought a CD years ago. Very soothing.

Yes, unfortunately there was a terrorist attack by a group called "Sendero Luminoso", they wiped out everyone and they did not care if there were children or not, and it was an attack to intimidate the media so that the elections would be cancelled. And that if they vote for a certain candidate, they would kill more people. It is a very terrible situation.

And about the last thing you say, I think you are referring to the quenas, it is like a flute that sounds like the pan flutes, but it has a different design. I come from the Peruvian sierra and it is traditional to have a quena in those places. Many people stereotype Peruvians with quenas, but I'm not complaining XD. I'm glad you like the sound of the quenas.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »
Huh, I'd never heard the name quena before. I had to look it up, and came across a rather fascinating video:

In terms of the CD I bought years ago, I think it might have actually been a pan flute. I just looked up pan flute and came across one of the songs that was on the CD I bought. No idea if it was the same musician though.

Oh, and of course there's Machu Picchu. I noticed it in some of the background shots for flute music. I've often seen pictures of that place, though wasn't super clear on where exactly it was. I checked a map and it kind of wasn't too far from that volcano you mentioned.

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »
Huh, I'd never heard the name quena before. I had to look it up, and came across a rather fascinating video:

In terms of the CD I bought years ago, I think it might have actually been a pan flute. I just looked up pan flute and came across one of the songs that was on the CD I bought. No idea if it was the same musician though.

Oh, and of course there's Machu Picchu. I noticed it in some of the background shots for flute music. I've often seen pictures of that place, though wasn't super clear on where exactly it was. I checked a map and it kind of wasn't too far from that volcano you mentioned.

Ahh that's right hehehe, sorry, I made a mistake, actually you are referring to the Zampoña, it is an instrument similar to the pan flute. Ok ok, I always confuse the zampoña with the quena XD.

Yes, Machu Pichu is located in Cuzco. Many people think that this region is the capital of my country, but it is not true. This is because it is a very important tourist site. Besides, I live in the capital, Lima, and I was born in the city of Tarma, in the Junin region. The Ubinas volcano is in the region of Moquegua, and it is very far from the capital, but when I was a child I was very afraid of that volcano because news kept coming out that this volcano was about to erupt, or even they mentioned that this volcano is too dangerous (I remember that they even compared it to Krakatoa). Today I read again about the Ubinas volcano, and i figured out that there is too much seismic activity near the volcano, and i noticed that if it were to erupt, it could be extremely dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:07:40 PM by RokkanJC »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
Hmm, Zampoña, yet another word I was unfamiliar with. Well, here's both of them together for comparison:

You know, I think I actually saw the Zampoña the other day when checking out music videos. Had no idea it had a different name though.

Any chance that volcano might protect you from the blight? That could be relevant these days. :P

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »
Hmm, Zampoña, yet another word I was unfamiliar with. Well, here's both of them together for comparison:

You know, I think I actually saw the Zampoña the other day when checking out music videos. Had no idea it had a different name though.

Any chance that volcano might protect you from the blight? That could be relevant these days. :P

Yes, the difference in appearance is that the quena is the instrument that looks like a flute, and the zampoña is the one that looks like a pan flute.

Hmmmm, maybe Ubinas will save us from the corona, but the problem is that the virus is in very populated parts of the sierra and the coast. All the areas near Lima are highly populated areas, the rest are virgin lands.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
I visited Peru for a few days a couple of years ago - beautiful country!

Anyways, welcome to the OPU!
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline RokkanJC

• Adun'toridas
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »
I visited Peru for a few days a couple of years ago - beautiful country!

Anyways, welcome to the OPU!

Thanks for the welcome. And thanks for visiting my country :D, i hope that you've enjoyed it.