Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.8.0 Released!  (Read 1897 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.8.0 Released!
« on: January 01, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
OutpostHD v0.8.0 is now officially ready for release!

This version introduces trucking (making the trucks actually useful now), a fully fleshed out Mine Operations UI, a bunch of bug fixes, the removal of all proprietary assets and massive changes to the underlying code which should make it a lot easier to develop going forward. The code is a lot less fragile to changes now and it's just all around much more pleasant to make changes.

All that stated, here's the change list!

What's New
  • Added 64bit build configurations. OutpostHD will now be available as 32-bit and 64-bit builds.
  • Truck manufacturing has been implemented.
  • Mine Operations Window allows assignment of trucks from Warehouse storage.
  • Roads have been added. These are taken into account when calculating transport routes.
  • Planets now define a mean distance from the host star.

What's Changed
  • SaveGame version changes -- saves from older versions of the game are no longer supported.
  • A LOT of internal code cleanup and improvements.
  • Road Materials have been removed from the game.
  • Resources are now moved via trucks from Mine Facilities to Smelters.
  • Refined resources are now stored in Storage Tanks instead of in an accumulator value.
  • Command Center now stores up to 250 units of Refined Resources.
  • Command Center now stores up to 250 units of Food.
  • Loss of resources or CHAP is no longer an instant game over as the Command Center now acts as a sort of buffer.
  • Solar Panel energy production will vary based on mean distance from the host star.

Bugs Fixed
  • Fix a crash when going back to the Main Menu and starting a new game.
  • Fix for weird values shown in Residential Capacity reporting.

Gimme Gimme! Where do I get it?

Full release including assets available now on Github: https://github.com/OutpostUniverse/OPHD/releases/tag/v0.8.0

Many thanks and much appreciate to those who have helped by posting suggestions and assisting with code development! Couldn't have done this without your efforts!

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: OutpostHD v0.8.0 Released!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
Leeor, nice job. I just downloaded and tried it out. Was enjoying the playthrough until a crashing bug. Will push a github issue for it along with some aesthetic bug fix requests.

The game is becoming more engaging as I was having to balance mine output with structure demands and replace the initial seed structures as they neared end of life. Also enjoyed the new truck mechanic.

I noticed one of the release files is named: ophd-v0.8.0-win32-x64.zip. I wasn't sure what was meant by the title since it included both win32 and x64.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
Win32 is the API name (e.g., Windows API), x64 is 64bit build. I suppose it's a bit confusing. It's a hard habit to break. In future releases I'll drop the 32 off it so it would look like ophd-v0.8.1-win-x64.zip.

Looking forward to tackling that crash bug. I haven't come across any myself but it comes as no surprise that it happens. If I had to guess I'd say it's coming from a GUI event hook not being released properly... that seems to be the biggest source of those problems.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:04:54 AM by leeor_net »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:00:44 AM »
Uploaded an updated archive under the name ophd-v0.8.0a-win-x64.zip which corrects the diagonal line. It's a weird issue that's been introduced in the middleware used by OPHD -- this is a simple fix that will make its way into the NAS2D repository once the issue that's causing it is better understood (why would it work normally in debug but not in release? Why would using const variables for opengl raster adjustments lead to what looks like possible stack thrashing? etc. etc. etc.)

Anyway, lots of questions, probably something stupid simple. In the mean-time the updated package labeled v0.8.0a contains the fix so at least visually it works. It was too annoying to deal with so I opted for pushing this minor fix -- a permanent solution will be included in the next release.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:04:40 AM by leeor_net »