Author Topic: Guide to Building from Source  (Read 13005 times)

Offline Archy

Re: Guide to Building from Source
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
It probably doesn't make sense to second guess how the user setup their Vcpkg installation.

I can provide anything else you might want or need.  But I think you meant you don't want to second guess ANY user rather than just me :)

In terms of libraries I used at the time, I think these are the important ones
- MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.26)
- C++ ATL for latest v142 build tools (x86 & x64)
- Windows 10 SDK 10.0.18362.0
- Windows 10 SDK 10.0.19041.0
- Visual Studio version 16.6.1

Hmmm yes I did just realise I somehow have two SDKs installed through all my attempts to get vcpkg to work. I think I added the later one manually, and then Studio automatically added the earlier one when it auto installed the desktop development with C++ workload.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:50:58 PM by Archy »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
But I think you meant you don't want to second guess ANY user rather than just me :)

Indeed. Some people may actually want telemetry turned on. At any rate Vcpkg provides global settings via an installation flag or an environment variable, which I assume users would use to enable or disable telemetry, and would naturally apply to the use from OPHD.

What you've listed just there appear to be Visual Studio components. I believe they are managed separately from Vcpkg dependencies. Vcpkg is used for dependent libraries like SDL2, and Physfs. Building those would require appropriate Visual Studio components to be already installed.

Still a useful list though. I don't tend to think about what Visual Studio components are needed. Last time I used Windows, I downloaded an image that had Visual Studio pre-installed. Saves time that way, though less practical for people already using Windows. If you're already using Windows, you'll probably want to download Visual Studio the traditional way, so it's handy to have a list of what optional components to install.

Offline Archy

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11:21 AM »
It was the bootstrapping of vcpkg that required all of those libraries which I had to install within Visual Studio (or at least, I don't know another way).
I had error after error and kept researching what the next one was, and that was the list that finally allowed me to do the bootstrap-vcpkg command from within the command prompt.

I'd only ever done c# development on this PC so it took a bit to get going.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2020, 01:01:11 AM »
Oh, I see. Because the bootstrap command builds Vcpkg, using the MSVC compiler, hence it needs the right compiler packages installed. That makes sense now.

I suppose at some point we'll need to include some documentation about setting up the right build tools, and in what order components are installed.

Come to think of it, I've grown a bit spoiled. The AppVeyor build images comes with all these tools already installed.  :)