Author Topic: OP2MissionSDK Ver4.0.0  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
OP2MissionSDK Ver4.0.0
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »
Hooman and I have been slowly working through some mild updates to the big 3 mission development libraries (Outpost2DLL, OP2Helper, and HFL). I added a branch to OP2MissionSDK including all the updates and a rollup in the changelog.

https://github.com/OutpostUniverse/OP2MissionSDK/pull/3

TechCor has been using it recently in the C# scenario project. Not sure if the Python mission project uses it? Myself and at least 1 other have also been using it for coding missions in C++. So, I wanted to open up dialog here in case any of the actively working parties had issues/recommendations on the changeset before pushing into the master branch.

I'm happy to see the changes to OP2MissionSDK mount up, although the changes seem to take a lot of work to complete.

This is the part where Dav can yell at me for working random side projects instead of trying to get multiplayer more reliable!

-Brett
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:07:31 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: OP2MissionSDK Ver2.0.0
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:34 AM »
The updates are looking good :)

We may want to discuss version numbers though. We've already have a V2 release tagged from 2008. There may even be a V3 release zip file floating around, though I don't know where. If anyone has source material on this, that would be great. We didn't do a very good job of tagging things in version control.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
Call it OP2MissionSDK 2 v1.0.0? Kinda like SDL? Would remove a lot of ambiguity?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
I don't know, that "2" was pretty easy to miss in there. And it only gets worse once we reach OP2MissionSDK 2 v2.2.2? Or the 2.2.2.2.2 release :P

I'd be tempted to bump the version number up to 4 for the initial GitHub project, and increment from there.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »
I'm fine with saying V4.0.0 for this release. I can just list V1-3 as coming from pre GitHub repository and vaugly ignore any changelog before this. Unless a changelog exists and we can fold it in.

I made some updates to Outpost2DLL and OP2Helper before GitHub was in use. Those probably fall as 3.5 or something I guess and are also completely undocumented.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
That sounds good to me.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: OP2MissionSDK Ver4.0.0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »
I made the update to ver 4.0.0 in the documentation.

I also added a ver 3.5.0 section to the change log. It captures changes made from 2015 up to around when the code was ported to Git. I don't know if it is helpful for anyone to wade through the change log. Reading it is sort of akin to stabbing yourself in the eyes, but I feel better having it.

OP2Helper's recent changes were merged in. Contained some project setting fixes and refactoring. No new functionality.

I was thinking about snapping the chalk line for this release right after Outpost2App gets merged into master. Unless it is going to be a long time before Outpost2App is ready.

Open to suggestions if others want to see specific things incorporated before finalizing.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: OP2MissionSDK Ver4.0.0
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
Oh yeah, might be good to include Outpost2App. I think that was basically ready.

I'm not sure if we're clear on this, but it's fine to merge the version number update to master before updating for Outpost2App. It's only when a release is officially tagged that the internal version number becomes an official external version number. Whether you bump the version number at the beginning, end, or middle of work, it doesn't really matter.