Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #2  (Read 3358 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #2
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
Almost finished with the updated Factory UI. Most of the visuals are in place, the layout is pretty much finished. All that's left now is to hook up the button, filters and polish off some of the little details (like getting the correct information into the resources required, etc.)

I really hoped to have it finished by tonight before bed, but eh. Still need to get the details for progress and if there's anything else anybody things should be in this panel I'm game for updates. I made it fairly easy to work with.

As a side note, it occurred to me that we're going to need to be able to work with warehouses and product storage so I added a navigation panel for that. I think everything else is pretty much covered.

Offline JetMech1999

Re: OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #2
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
I don't know where you find the time to work, do the family stuff, and produce amazing product like this.  Our kids are grown and out, so it's just the wife and myself, and I barely have time to do my schoolwork (decided to go for my Business degree after being out of school for 34 years  ;). This really does look good, even with the Latin placeholder text next to the Robodozer icon box.  ;D  Truth be told, the factory UI is close to something I was envisioning for our computer system at work.  Four years ago we went with an SAP-driven software package to replace the majority of our paper.  But it just doesn't work well for our purposes, documenting aircraft maintenance.  We have to go through too many pages to get where we need, and it's not fully integrated with our digital maintenance manuals.  All told we have about 8 different programs that we have to use in order to do a single-day's work.  Now, multiply that slowdown by 640, the number of mechanics and avionics technicians employed just in our facility.  we are the largest in our network, but in all we have about 5,000 mechanics and avionics folks using these same programs.  When we went digital, our work speed slowed down by about 30%.  Not a well-thought plan.  Anyway this UI is similar to something I was trying to draw up on paper, then see how to move that into the electronic world.  For a while I have been on an on-again, off-again cycle of trying to learn C++, thinking that I could design an interface that would use Microsoft Office, or something similar, for the behind-the-scenes work, with an overlay that would be user-friendly for mechanics that aren't all that computer-friendly.  It's still something I want to try to do, but has to be delayed for about 4 years while I knock out the Bachelor's Degree.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
... don't use C++ for UI's, do yourself a favor and use C# instead with WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation). You'll thank yourself for not having to deal with the painful details of GUI programming that C++ doesn't handle or hide well. C# is a lot better at that. Plus it's managed so you don't have to deal with low-level memory management unlike in C++.

Offline chris2222

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »
Yes C# I will have to agree.  About 7 or 8 years ago I was talking to a programmer at work and mentioned C++.  He said the programming of choice now and future will be C# not C++.  I only know a bit of C and I am side tracked for a while now with kids/work and renovations.  But yes, don't go C++ go C#.
A lot of mainstream games are still C++ so the legacy continues.  One thing about C# is that it keeps your code readable making you more productive.  I'm saying there's nothing wrong with C++ just that I've heard lots of opinions to switch over to C#, however master C++ and you've got a nice set of programming tools under your belt.  C# is object oriented and you will have to think slightly different when programming in C#.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 04:45:15 PM by chris2222 »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
He said the programming of choice now and future will be C# not C++.  I only know a bit of C and I am side tracked for a while now with kids/work and renovations.  But yes, don't go C++ go C#.

For applications programming, sure. For low-level systems programming or for performance critical code C# will never be ideal. Between garbage collection and a complete lack of access to low-level memory, like Java it can never be as fast or as tight. Granted low-level memory access is almost never needed for GUI applications, particularly business interfaces which is why C# is so attractive for those applications... and also why I recently decided I will never use C++ to develop GUI applications ever again. :D

I suspect that assembly, C/C++ and other low-level languages will always be necessary for building performance critical programs and for doing all of the low-level work that you'd expect in embedded systems, operating system kernels and device drivers.

C# is object oriented and you will have to think slightly different when programming in C#.

C++ is also object-oriented. C# enforces object only programming, much like Java vs C++ which is a multi-paradigm language (often described as a federation of languages). It's kind of annoying when you want a set of unrelated functions so you end up creating a class like Globals and add all of these unrelated functions and constants to it just to get around that. It's one of the things I like about C++ -- you can still use non object-encapsulated functions and value constants.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:21:28 PM by leeor_net »

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:56:30 PM »
It's fun with you two talking computerese, and me less than a novice.  It's almost like Charlie Brown's teacher.  :). I appreciate the head's up about not using C++.  I do still want to learn it.  Keeps the grey matter working. 

Leeor, I may be away for a little while.  My last remaining grandparent (grandmother on my dad's side) is in hospice and I'm not doing so well with this.  I will probably check in on the latest stuff, but if you don't see any comments from me, I'm just going to be trying to get through this.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
JetMech,

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope things go as best they can. Hospice is a tough time for all involved.

-Brett

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »
Vagabond,

Thanks for the words.  She finally passed last Friday.  This past weekend was really difficult.  I've never dealt well with death, even though I've had plenty between my family, classmates, and friends while in the military.  I got REALLY angry for a couple of days, dangerous angry.  Enough that my wife called my Mom to ask for advice.  Got the worst of it out, working out the rest.

As for Leeor, White Claw, Hooman, and others, all I can say is WOW! You guys have been busy.  I went through the new postings here and am blown away by what I've been seeing.  Amazing work, everyone!

Leeor, thank you for the suggestion about using C# for UI development.  I didn't get very far with C++, which I still intend to learn.  Knowing that C# is more in line with what I'm dreaming up, I won't have to backtrack much to get it figured out.