Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.7.6 Preview #1  (Read 5630 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.7.6 Preview #1
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »
Thought I'd post some insights into the biggest visual change for OutpostHD:

Need to get that image replaced at some point but hey, now it's a lot easier to get right back into a save game. :D (yes, all buttons but Options works).

Offline White Claw

Re: OutpostHD v0.7.6 Preview #1
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »
That's looking snazzy Leeor. Nice job! :)

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »
Hey, White Claw, good to see you back!  Gotta agree, it's nice to see a start page, even if it is the old one.  But I know Leeor is working on that.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm tempted to spray paint "HD" onto the end of that ;)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:36 PM »

Like that?

Anyway, yeah, it's just the background image from the original game. I'm not sure what to replace it with. I'm considering commissioning it to an artist on DeviantArt -- there are a few really good ones that I follow that might be interested in contributing to the project with hand drawn/painted images (like replacing the announcement images, etc.).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:33:19 PM »
Yep, exactly like that. Totally looks legit HD, doesn't it?  :P

The idea of commissioning someone to do work for you is fascinating. Totally changes your outlook on life when you start doing things like that.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »
Hey Leeor...I have some time to dedicate to OPHD again. When you get a chance, let me know what needs attention first.

In the mean time, maybe you can overlay this.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:02:59 AM »
Sweet! Nice cloud effect on the lettering.  :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
Well, there is this one from the game data.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
Well that's definitely a fancy one. :D

"In the game data" where? As in, "Outpost" graphic was in the OP1 game data, or somewhere else?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »
I rather like that one too. Very nice lens flare effect.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
Game data for OutpostHD... Not sure why I put it that way. I slapped this one together early in development. When you first run the game it shows a set of splash screens which includes this logo.

For the new main menu screen, I just grabbed the graphic from the original game. I'd like to replace it at some point -- either with a new render or with hand-drawn artwork. Would be neat to have some sort of animation going but I'm thinking something simple like simulated lighting effects but that can be worked on after the fact.

Still though, the ultimate goal is to get all of the original IP out of the new game so it can be distributed on platforms like GitHub and others perhaps like Steam, GoG, Humble, etc. :) (for free, of course, but I'd really love to draw attention to the original game).

Too ambitious?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Ambitious...yes. Too ambitious? I don't know.

I am still committed to helping with the graphics. I've learned some more tricks, but I'm still not very artistic. So as long as you're happy with that route, I'm on board. I think the quality will continue to improve, but I don't know about the thematic "style."

I can also try to come up with a splash screen, if you'd like. I've learned a bit more about making landscapes, though I haven't tried too hard yet (so might be interesting). I could also make something similar to the cargo-ship-over-earth picture I posted in the other thread. (Except substitute the Conestoga and New Terra.)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
I'm perfectly happy with the work you've provided so far and hope you'd be willing to continue providing additional assets. There are still plenty of structures that need to be replaced, all of the robots, some 'glamour shots' of the structures for the built-in help / revised interface (eye candy, basically) and all of the robots (miner, digger, dozer, explorer and truck). Not sure if there will be a need for any additional robot visuals.

Would be nice to get research icons but that's kind of a stretch goal. I wasn't planning on using the original visuals for that anyway.

And again, very much appreciate all of your effort! It's helped to move the project forward and give it a refined edge.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
Yeah, White Claw, your work is amazing.

And having someone that can make original assets is huge.

I also really hope you're making good backups of all your original render files. There's been a huge amount of work put into the new visuals.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 06:21:24 PM »
Most definitely. Come to think of it, it might make sense to include those in OPU's Git repository? Maybe? Maybe SVN?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 06:55:37 PM »
I'm perfectly happy with the work you've provided so far and hope you'd be willing to continue providing additional assets.

Great, then I will keep at it!

As for adding to a repo...my file structure is a bit of a mess, which I'm in the process of cleaning up as I work on the next round of images. Since I've been making these "for me" I've not been too concerned about how messy the file structure or internal bits of the models are. Unless you're meaning upload of some higher resolution versions of the images themselves?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »
It would be most welcome in either the older SVN repo or the new GitHub organization.

Cleanliness of file structure isn't a big concern. I regularly make a mess of projects in there. It tends to get cleaned up slowly over time as I learn more of what I do. With things of this nature, you pretty much never know what you should have done until you've tried something and can look back on it.

Anyway, I don't want to push you if you're not ready to put stuff into version control. I just hope it doesn't get put off until something bad happens. Something that re-organizing can cause.

On a related matter, there was that time I created a backup so I could move the OPU SVN repository to the machine where it's current hosted. Before that, there was probably a couple years of no backups. About two weeks after the move, the harddrive on the old machine suddenly failed. That could have been bad. That could have been really bad.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
Gotta agree with Hooman, here.  The current graphic is really nice.  It reminds you of the original, but this one looks more finished.  I also have to agree on White Claw's graphics.  Very nice.  They look like you took the time to make them look realistic.  They don't look like someone had a seizure while drawing ovals and squares.  Don't sell yourself short, you do a great job with what you bring to the table.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I've spent most of my time tonight reorganizing some of the baseline files, so that the materials and basic objects (such as camera angles, shadow planes, etc) are all centrally managed. Now, as I build new objects, they will use common baseline assets. Changing one will update all. And although it would require rendering everything again when making baseline changes, improvements will be much easier to propagate.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 06:52:38 PM »
I wouldn't have even thought about all that stuff you just mentioned. You're clearly pretty deep into the craft.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:00 AM »
It's certainly been a learning process. I've discovered a lot just since I started helping with this project. Hopefully I can start to make a more serious push to get the buildings done.