Author Topic: Status Update (April, 2018)  (Read 2457 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Status Update (April, 2018)
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
Hey forumites!

It's been a couple of weeks and I figured it was time for another update.

I've mostly finished the migration to github. I've been using Git for the code entirely and I'm slowly starting to move over the tasks from Redmine. Redmine is great and I do love it but I think using a fully integrated solution like what GitHub has to offer just makes too much sense to ignore... so that's kind of going to be a big project because there are no native tools to export tasks/issues from Redmine to GitHub... so manual copy/pasting seems to be in order. Bleh. So be it.

As far as development is concerned, I'm figuring I'll continue using Redmine for v0.7.5 (I've copied the remaining open tasks over to GitHub) so will be updating them together but moving forward I'll switch over entirely to GitHub.

Anyway, I've been committing my most recent code changes to GitHub so the SVN repository is now more of a historical archive rather than an active developer history. The biggest differences between the repositories is that the SVN repository contains all of the data whereas GitHub only contains the source code and project files. Since GitHub is operated by a 3rd party, I didn't want to upload potentially infringing copyrighted materials (graphics) from Outpost. So I removed the data directory entirely from the repository and scrubbed the history. I haven't yet decided how to keep the game resources/assets synched during development... but they're not changing much atm so perhaps I'll just do that manually (open to suggestions).

Finally, it's been slow going but I'm starting to get into a groove again. I've got the production system mostly implemented. There are a few things I still want to flesh out: robot handling with Robot Command Centers, a Warehouse Interface so that you can see what products are stored in a given warehouse (and dump them if necessary), building materials, road materials and more. It's all in there but it's very basic and you can't see it happening unless you're staring at the debugger. So I want to finish that up and tackle a few usability issues before I push out the newest version.

TL;DR

Migration to GitHub is mostly done, I'm moving from Redmine to GitHub's issue tracker, OPHD v0.7.5 is almost finished.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Status Update (April, 2018)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »
And there was much rejoicing
Yaaaaay

I'm actually rather looking forward to this migration. GitHub has been a lot of fun to work with.

I was thinking you could add two submodules. One for the NAS2D dependency. Another one using git-svn for the assets. Though if you get new replacement assets soon enough, perhaps that part wouldn't matter.

When you first moved the code over to GitHub, I did some experimentation adding NAS2D as a git submodule. This lead to me doing some stuff with Docker to create a portable Linux environment to help compile, test, package Linux binaries, which should work even from Windows.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Status Update (April, 2018)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
I admit that I'm barely scratching the surface with the capabilities of Git. For me it's almost a case of "I don't use these features and it's too complicated at the moment for me to really try to learn them" so I'm basically willfully stunting my ability to work effectively with Git.

This all sounds good on paper, it's just a matter of how to make this all work. I'm truly clueless.   :-[