Author Topic: Outpost 2: Divided Destiny - 20 Year Anniversary  (Read 148290 times)

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2: Divided Destiny - 20 Year Anniversary
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
Hi all, Happy Anniversary!

This month marks the official 20 year anniversary of Outpost 2: Divided Destiny! Sorry to all you Outpost 1 fans that 20 years of OP1 was not marked as such but I think Outpost 2 was a more popular game building on the success of Outpost 1! Searching around the web I found the 22nd of September 1997 as the most common release date mentioned and that's when I set my countdown for over a year ago.. (http://tinyurl.com/op2dd20th). Whatever the day... it has been a long time and I'm very please that we're still here, old faces and new! More importantly, is that the game is still here; loved, supported, cared for and updated the best we have time for.

20 Years is a lifetime.. literally, think what has happened in your last 20 years.. A lot has happened for the game as well and we have many dedicated community members who have given their time and expertise to Outpost 2 and the community. Were you 20 years ago? Or when you first picked up the game?

For me, I picked up the game at a friends house via a monthly demo CD that came with a PC magazine. It was the best demo on the CD and we played it as much as we could after school, it even included multiplayer mode. Later that year the same friend bought the game and made a bunch of copies right away so the other brothers in the house could have one and myself.. years later I had worn out that CD and had to ask him to burn me a new one!

I don't recall buying the game (or my parents buying it for me..) so I thought it was only right to get a copy which I did about a year ago from eBay.. I think I may get another.. the original all silver/gray box looks nice and brings back nostalgic memories.

Heres to another 20 years of The Oupost Universe!

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Re: Outpost 2: Divided Destiny - 20 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
Well, you must be in a different timezone than me, as my clock says its the Sept 21st today (west coast, Canada). However, regardless, happy anniversary Outpost 2!

My dad bought me the game when I was in 5th grade, in early 1998. One of my most favorite RTSes in the last 20 years for sure.

Wait. I didn't know eBay existed back pre-2000s.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:33:23 PM by lordpalandus »
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Zhall

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:44:21 PM »
Here's to putting the cart before the horse and hoping there will be some Outpost 3 matches soon.
Pumping out awsome.

Offline Paco

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
Long live Outpost!
Outpost 3 for life! ~ Oh, I meant 2!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:02 AM »
20 years anniversary.. thats almost 2/3's of my life ;D

20 years ago I was the average teen-age guy with a more than average interest for space stuff. My first brush with OP2 was the post release demo that came bundled on a CD from one of those monthly PC magazines. It was the first RTS game I ever picked up I think, and English not being my native language I really struggled to understand what this was all about, but the game stuck a cord, and slowly, slowly I started figuring out what the various units & structures could do. Eventually I introduced it to 2 of my friends - one which had gotten the pre-release demo on a similar CD, so suddenly we had a bit more OP2 to play with.
A bit later I found the Red/White box Outpost 2 game in a store when shopping with my grandparents and probably managed to convince them to buy the game for me.
Eventually I found my way onto WON for even more action - and some English education.
At some point WON was celebrating it's birthday - or maybe it was Sierra ? Anyways, they were giving out free games. I asked for a copy of Outpost 1, but in the end got a copy of Outpost 2 (The grey box) - which turned out to be perfect as my first game CD got broken.

On a side note to this - Playing online and interacting with people there really improved my English, up to a point where it landed me a place in an IB Highschool back in Norway.
(used to have a dictionary next to the computer, just so I could translate the difficult words and make myself understood haha
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »
I couldn't remember if I tried, to reminisce about where I was, where I bought it or how many years ago I found this game on a shelf (in the original box still sealed) and brought it home.

That was a long time ago

And still I don't know why I decided to latch onto this game more than others, or what compelled me to join the community.

Whatever the reason I am glad I did. Viva la Outpost
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
+1  :D

Wow, 20 years ago I upgraded from an original 8086 to a pentium. Huge leap in technology for me that year. Some time later my brother came home with a copy of OP2. Great fun. I still remember how excited he was bringing it home.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
For me I started with Outpost -- it was a gift and it had me hooked. I remember the announcements for Outpost 2 and eagerly awaited the day it released. Dad and I went to CompUSA, bought a copy and I remember almost vibrating in my seat waiting to get home.

Couldn't stop playing it at the time. Joined up on WON (previously SIGS) as soon as I could and played endless games until the day WON shut down.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:05:33 AM »
Great to hear how much others enjoy Outpost 2! I grabbed Outpost 2 off the shelf of a Hastings Store back in the day. I was really into anything space related and the sweet shot of the starship and colony on the boxart grabbed my attention. My siblings and I still play an occasional game together.

I remember printing out the entire novella years ago because I disliked reading on the computer screen but was really enjoying the storyline.

The complex colony management requirements of Outpost 2 over other RTS games appealed to me. I would play on WON, but wasn't great. The death matches never meant as much to me as the colony management side. My internet also stunk and I would end up timing out halfway through matches to the chagrin of my allies.

-Brett