Author Topic: CHAP  (Read 6033 times)

Offline White Claw

CHAP
« on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
Here is a draft of the CHAP. (Currently has the "white" tubes.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:28:56 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: OutpostHD Graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
White Claw,

This all looks great. I think adding the reflected light on the tubes adds a lot of dimension.

I prefer the last two CHAPS (not sure what the difference between the last two are?). The thick horizontal blue line on the first two I think is too much.

I prefer the first listed warehouse. I like the subtle difference in color between the frame and the actual structure.

Great Work!

-Brett

Offline White Claw

Re: Re: OutpostHD Graphics
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:43 PM »
I think I missed this post, since a new sub-forum was opened and a few posts split out of the main thread.

I prefer the last two CHAPS (not sure what the difference between the last two are?). The thick horizontal blue line on the first two I think is too much.

Not much difference in the last two, except for some additional work to add a bit of definition to the shadowing. It's rather subtle though, and I don't imagine anyone will actually notice the difference without it being pointed out.

I also agree with the "too much blue" comment. It's almost comical how adding color makes these graphics feel off. I guess it's a product of the survival aspect of the game. Simplicity seems to be key.

Offline JetMech1999

Re: CHAP
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
I can't tell the difference between the last two either, but I definitely like the thinner blue horizontal line and the "weathered" look of the structure.  Makes it looks more like metal.  The first two look more like plastic.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
I can't tell the difference between the last two either, but I definitely like the thinner blue horizontal line and the "weathered" look of the structure.  Makes it looks more like metal.  The first two look more like plastic.

Good observation. The last two do look more like metal, while the first two look a bit like plastic. I hadn't quite noticed the texture on the wall before you said that. It's not just the blue line that's different.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
Good point out. It's actually the same texture, but the bottom two are a bit taller (mainly because the blue glowing section is shrunk). That results in more wall space, so the fact that there's some texturing there is apparent.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »
And the CHAP with new materials. Thought I'd throw a green one in there and see how it compares, since the "red with blue light" has somewhat become the theme for power.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Definitely looking good.

In game:

Thinking the green one works best here... though it's making me think that we could pulse the color from blue to green and back -- can you render just the light strip separately? Would make animation for this structure very simple. :D

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 03:14:51 AM »
I kind of like the eerie green, though it reminds me of either sewage or radioactive waste. I think that color scheme might be good for something that processes sewage or organic waste. Or maybe is just highly radioactive.

I like the green better, but feel the blue is more appropriate. What if you used more of a deep sky blue? From what I recall, the CHAP produces oxygen, so a blue color would seem appropriate.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 07:08:29 AM »
Sky blue wouldn't contrast well with the terrain.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »
I like the green. Given that there is so much grey, blue, and red (rust), the green really stands out on a dead planetscape.  I don't know about the pulsing colors.  Getting images of night clubs and strip bars.  Maybe it would work.  I'd like to see an in-colony demo before I give my final opinion.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 12:14:37 AM »
Well, there are always the red light districts  ;)

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
So true. :)