Author Topic: Fumaroles?  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Lexers615

Fumaroles?
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:50:40 AM »
Long story short:  I played Outpost 1, for couple years, stopped for 10+ years, and recently bought an old laptop to play "olde games".

"Back then" I remember searching for "fumaroles" for quite a lot of time, and remember at one point having three colonies with all 4 level completely dug out, looking for "fumaroles". I also remember reading somewhere an unconfirmed rumor that fumaroles were simply never mapped.

So, well, anyone ever found a "fumarole"/"steam went"?

If so, any clues on where to dig to find one?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 04:20:47 PM by Lexers615 »

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Fumaroles?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
I'm probably the resident OP1 expert, and to the best of my knowledge, fumaroles were simply never implemented.  I do remember there being a blurb in the manual about them being found only on certain planet types, which I'm guessing means Venus-type planets (based on Venus being hot and geologically active, unlike all other planet types in the game [though recent evidence suggests Mercury may also be geologically active, at the time OP1 was released this was not believed to be the case]).  So I suppose it's possible that fumaroles do exist, rarely, on Venus-type worlds, but considering how many other features of OP1 are broken or unimplemented, I wouldn't waste my time looking for them.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
Going to agree with Bomber on this one.

Offline Lexers615

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
Well... Thanks for the answer...

Just being curious though, "venus type" means the dusty purple ones, right?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »
They're the ones that look like Venus. :P
I don't remember exactly what they look like during planet selection.  Check the planet report before you land and look at the atmosphere details specifically.  If you know what Venus is like, you'll know what to look for.  In-game, the terrain on a Venus-type world looks like the terrain on a Mars-type world, but where Mars has reddish-brown dirt, Venus has orange-yellow dirt.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Lexers615

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
The planets I always select, I think, are Mars-like (about 30 mining sites, 4 levels digging depth), mainly carbon dioxide atmosphere. I usually send my probes to Alpha Centauri A, B, Delta Pavonis, and last one randomly. I'm so used to going to those planets that I automatically disregard the other ones, though I also played on planets i  think are tefered to as moon-like, and a challenging purple one with acid atmosphere and single level digging depth...